The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

1 minute ago, Tower said:

While Interstellar being on here is trolling, Interstellar really is a great film that easily made my list (though not seventh, and not Nolan's best). And yes, it is much better than any of the Star Wars films that range from bad to average, and which didn't come anywhere near my list.

Fuck yeah. This man has his life together

16 hours ago, Porthos said:

@The Panda right now:

IPOH7Xr.png

Personally, I think @The Panda should make this his avatar for about the next twelve hours or so.  Once the whole Steve Harvey thing has been handled of course. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

If this were BOT's Civil War I'd probably be Black Widow on Team Nolan

And us Star Wars/Ringers are Team Asgard, staying out of the fray and looking at you judgmentally.

• Like 1

It appears the 5th dimensional beings have used the forces of gravity to alter the list.  Number 7 has been altered by a force I can't understand, and changed to....

Spoiler

Number 7

12 Angry Men (1957)

104 Points (24 Votes, Avg Score 22.79)

twelve_angry_men.jpg

"Well, I think testimony that can put a boy into the electric chair *should* be that accurate."

Number 1 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 5 Placements: 4 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 9 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (8, +1), 2013 (28, +21), 2012 (35, +28)

Tomatometer: 100%

Box Office: N/A

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 3 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: The defense and the prosecution have rested and the jury is filing into the jury room to decide if a young man is guilty or innocent of murdering his father. What begins as an open-and-shut case of murder soon becomes a detective story that presents a succession of clues creating doubt, and a mini-drama of each of the jurors' prejudices and preconceptions about the trial, the accused, and each other. Based on the play, all of the action takes place on the stage of the jury room.

Critic Opinion: "This is especially true of Juror #3 (Lee J. Cobb), a burly working-class type who is the most vocal and recalcitrant advocate of the defendant’s guilt, although it is gradually revealed that his insistence on a guilty verdict is really a displaced means of punishing his own son with whom he has not spoken in years (“Kids these days!” he complains, as if they are all the same). Juror #4 (E.G. Marshall), a button-down stockbroker, is similarly reluctant to recognize reasonable doubt in the case largely due to his fervent faith in eyewitness testimony. Others on the jury, particularly Juror #6 (Edward Binns), a baseball fanatic, and Juror #12 (Robert Webber), an ad executive, don’t take their roles very seriously, which is perhaps the most toxic contribution to potential injustice.

The resistance of the other jurors to discussing the seemingly open-and-shut case is a compelling means of depicting how the system works only when those involved accept the moral weight of their roles, which is embodied first in Fonda’s juror, but steadily inflects the others as they begin to reassess what they thought they knew and come to the realization that the evidence is not nearly as convincing as they thought. The obviousness of the dereliction of duty on the part of the defendant’s court-appointed lawyer would seem to underscore the inherent injustice of the system for the economically disadvantaged, but again Rose counters the flaws in the system with balance via the jury’s deliberations: When one part of the system fails, another part fills in. This is not, of course, always the case, but 12 Angry Men stills impresses as a compellingly realized depiction of how idealism and dedication can ultimately trump narrow-mindedness and prejudice." - James Kendrick

User Opinion: ""All A's.  How many films got all A's in this section" i'd like to ruin it, but i just can't." - lisa

Personal Comment: I really can't believe how crazy it is that the fifth dimensional beings would change the lists from Interstellar to 12 Angry Men, it's a good thing I caught what they did before I went any further!  The legendary Henry Fonda makes an appearance on our list with the highest ranking 12 Angry Men has been on our countdown to date.  12 Angry Men is the 6th film from the 1950s to make the countdown.  It's unreal how a movie can consist solely of jurors talking in a room and manage to be as gripping as this movie is here.  12 Angry Men is an absolutely powerful drama that manages to prove how the simplest level of concepts and production value can lead to completely and utterly gripping cinema.

I should really not leave my laptop next to my bookshelf

• Like 18

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I wouldn't even put INTERSTELLAR in Nolan's top 7. 

I wouldn't even put Interstellar in the top seven of the year it came out.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

It appears the 5th dimensional beings have used the forces of gravity to alter the list.  Number 7 has been altered by a force I can't understand, and changed to....

Reveal hidden contents

9ca182988d2376c32e45463a71cf1916.gif

• Like 7

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

not sure if i'm maderer about that interstellar nonsense or fooling me into thinking 12 angry men would show up top 3. i think it's all franchise pictures left.

Im+not+sure+whether+im+annoyed+too+see+y

Even that bullshit IMDB top movies list has 12 Angry Men high

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Hide contents

Number 7

12 Angry Men (1957)

104 Points (24 Votes, Avg Score 22.79)

twelve_angry_men.jpg

"Well, I think testimony that can put a boy into the electric chair *should* be that accurate."

Number 1 Placements: 1 Placement

Top 5 Placements: 4 Placements

Top 10 Placements: 9 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (8, +1), 2013 (28, +21), 2012 (35, +28)

Tomatometer: 100%

Box Office: N/A

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Nominated for 3 Oscars

IMDb Synopsis: The defense and the prosecution have rested and the jury is filing into the jury room to decide if a young man is guilty or innocent of murdering his father. What begins as an open-and-shut case of murder soon becomes a detective story that presents a succession of clues creating doubt, and a mini-drama of each of the jurors' prejudices and preconceptions about the trial, the accused, and each other. Based on the play, all of the action takes place on the stage of the jury room.

Critic Opinion: "This is especially true of Juror #3 (Lee J. Cobb), a burly working-class type who is the most vocal and recalcitrant advocate of the defendant’s guilt, although it is gradually revealed that his insistence on a guilty verdict is really a displaced means of punishing his own son with whom he has not spoken in years (“Kids these days!” he complains, as if they are all the same). Juror #4 (E.G. Marshall), a button-down stockbroker, is similarly reluctant to recognize reasonable doubt in the case largely due to his fervent faith in eyewitness testimony. Others on the jury, particularly Juror #6 (Edward Binns), a baseball fanatic, and Juror #12 (Robert Webber), an ad executive, don’t take their roles very seriously, which is perhaps the most toxic contribution to potential injustice.

The resistance of the other jurors to discussing the seemingly open-and-shut case is a compelling means of depicting how the system works only when those involved accept the moral weight of their roles, which is embodied first in Fonda’s juror, but steadily inflects the others as they begin to reassess what they thought they knew and come to the realization that the evidence is not nearly as convincing as they thought. The obviousness of the dereliction of duty on the part of the defendant’s court-appointed lawyer would seem to underscore the inherent injustice of the system for the economically disadvantaged, but again Rose counters the flaws in the system with balance via the jury’s deliberations: When one part of the system fails, another part fills in. This is not, of course, always the case, but 12 Angry Men stills impresses as a compellingly realized depiction of how idealism and dedication can ultimately trump narrow-mindedness and prejudice." - James Kendrick

User Opinion: ""All A's.  How many films got all A's in this section" i'd like to ruin it, but i just can't." - lisa

Personal Comment: I really can't believe how crazy it is that the fifth dimensional beings would change the lists from Interstellar to 12 Angry Men, it's a good thing I caught what they did before I went any further!  The legendary Henry Fonda makes an appearance on our list with the highest ranking 12 Angry Men has been on our countdown to date.  12 Angry Men is the 6th film from the 1950s to make the countdown.  It's unreal how a movie can consist solely of jurors talking in a room and manage to be as gripping as this movie is here.  12 Angry Men is an absolutely powerful drama that manages to prove how the simplest level of concepts and production value can lead to completely and utterly gripping cinema.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-30122-1371156351-13

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I wouldn't even put Interstellar in the top seven of the year it came out.

I wouldn't even put it in the Top 70.

Also, 12 Angry Men FTW. Shame it didn't make the Top 5.

• Like 5