The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

39 minutes ago, water said:

yeah i didn't know this was happening. if i had known, i would have submitted a list more objective than what is being reflected by the results so far.

So you're mad that people like different movies than you do?

Number 79

Aliens (1986)

31 Points (13 Votes, Avg Score 39.3077)

latest?cb=20150503021045

"Get away from her, you bitch!"

Top 10 Placements: 1

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (72, -7), 2013 (36, -43), 2012 (54, -25)

Tomatometer: 98%

Box Office: 85.16m (196.95m)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 2 Oscars and Sigourney Weaver Nominated for Best Actress

IMDb Synopsis: Fifty seven years after Ellen Ripley survived her disastrous ordeal, her escape vessel is recovered after drifting across the galaxy as she slept in cryogenic stasis. Back on earth, nobody believed her story about the "Aliens" on the planet LV-426. After the "Company" orders the colony on LV-426 to investigate, however, all communication with the colony is lost. The Company enlists Ripley to aid a team of tough, rugged space marines on a rescue mission to the now partially terraformed planet to find out if there are aliens or survivors. As the mission unfolds, Ripley will be forced to come to grips with her worst nightmare, but even as she does, she finds that the worst is yet to come.

Critic Opinion: "Surpassing its predecessor in terms of sheer spectacle, this sequel to Ridley Scott's outer-space nightmare from director James Cameron is an outstanding science-fiction thriller. Sigourney Weaver wakes up 57 years after the original events unfolded, only to be told that the planet where she first met the alien predator has been colonised. When all contact with the inhabitants is lost, she's sent in with a crack squad of marines and hurtles headlong into a hi-tech house of horrors that delivers plenty of shocks and nail-biting suspense. Masterfully controlling the tension and moving the involving plot at a lightning pace, Cameron exploits everyone's worst fears and carries them to the riveting extreme in this consummate Oscar-winning fright-fest." - Alan Jones

User Opinion: "Probably one of the best action movies I've ever seen. Great acting, the music paces very well with some heart stopping moments. There's like no flaw at all, at least to me." - BoxOfficeZ

Personal Comment: Aliens is the second Cameron film to appear, nearly right after The Terminator, and is interesting in that people tend to either love Aliens or they love Alien.  Sure, some people love both of them, but most tend to have a strong preference on either the atmospheric tension of alien or the exhilarating action that comes with Cameron's Aliens.  Does this forum prefer the tension or the action?  We will have to find out as the countdown continues...

• Like 17

Terminator is a terrific film and I'm glad to see it on the list.

Whiplash didn't make my list but I have no problem seeing it here.  A terrific film with a powerful, iconic performance from Jonah Jameson.

Aliens should be much much much much higher.  It's top ten for me.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Baumer said:

So you're mad that people like different movies than you do?

What's funny is water said he would have submitted a list that was more objective yet film is totally subjective.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Number 80

Whiplash (2014)

31 Points (13 Votes, Avg Score 48.5385)

MV5BMTU4OTQ3MDUyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTA2

"There are no two words in the English language more harmful than "good job"."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 1

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 94%

Box Office: 13.09m (13.71m)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 3 Oscars

Critic Opinion: "Together, Teller and Simmons are a force to be reckoned with and early Oscar buzz is richly deserved.

Chazelle, too, proves himself to be an astute writer and director: his script is adept at dropping explosive one-liners but it is also fiercely intelligent in the way that it poses questions while also serving up characters who are worth hanging out with. His direction, meanwhile, is pretty much pace- perfect in the way that it hits all the right beats yet is savvy enough and confident enough to toss in some curve-balls.

Hence, from its brilliantly realised opening scene to its sensational climax, Whiplash is a crowd-pleaser of the highest order that is well worth beating your own drum about afterwards." - Rob Carnevale

User Opinion: "Chazelle’s direction is felt throughout the whole movie. Only this directing style can make the sudden car crash on the way to a competition feel natural. I also have commend Chazelle and Tom Cross for the editing in this movie. Much has been said about the climax, about how it makes you feel like you are Andrew throughout the whole thing, remaining incredibly tense for something that is merely instrumental. The final shots of the film are shockingly cathartic. That said, I want to talk about a different scene’s editing, namely, when Andrew leaves Schaffer, this is intercut with scenes of him meeting with an attorney who wants to get Fletcher out of Schaffer. The jumps from Andrew packing up his dorm to wondering if he should really sell out Fletcher are remarkably well-done, as we can follow Andrew’s thought-process with the attorney by cutting to the immense sadness of his expulsion from the college. The whole film is remarkably well-edited.

Honestly, I think Whiplash is the type of movie that can have a book be written on it. There’s a lot of themes going on here, and a lot of film theory that can be dissected (and I’m only in my second semester of film school, so who knows what an actual film scholar could tackle with it). As it is on its own, it’s an immensely entertaining film, bolstered with great performances, intricate themes, fantastic direction, and some of the best editing I’ve ever seen. I will certainly be catching it in theaters again, and after a single watch, Whiplash is one of my favorites of 2014." - Blankments

Personal Comment:  Whiplash's entry on the countdown marks the 5th film from the 2010s putting it back on top for the decade with the most movies on the countdown.  Whiplash also breaks a long string of blockbuster like movies to a much more indie and small-scale pick.  What's interesting about the film's inclusion is that it was able to outrank a good number of other 2014 films that weren't placed ahead of it on BOT awards and countdown lists during that year.  However, it didn't outrank them all, as a few 2014 films managed to work their way above this one on the countdown... I wonder what movie(s) from that year were so stellar, out of this world and hailed above all that they managed to place above this one?  Anyways, as for this movie, it was an intense, small-scale film about music that made you hold your breath the entire way through.

giphy.gif

it was in my top 5.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DAR said:

What's funny is water said he would have submitted a list that was more objective yet film is totally subjective.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Truckasaurus said:

Bill Paxton in Aliens is my spirit animal.

It's one of the best characters ever created, imo.  And Paxton is one of my top five actors of all time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I haven't seen Zootopia but animation isn't nearly as good as live action so this statement is silly.

this reminds me of Jessie 'women just aren't as funny as men' statement 

• Like 1

Just now, Goffe said:

this reminds me of Jessie 'women just aren't as funny as men' statement 

I feel the same way he does.  I find men to be funnier as well.

But as for animation, I don't begrudge anyone who likes it, it's just not quite my tempo.  It never has been.  I like a lot of animated films but I think they are forgettable and I usually remember nothing about them once the film is over.

Number 78

Psycho (1960)

31 Points (15 Votes, Avg Score 49.2308)

Psycho_(1960).jpg

"I think I must have one of those faces you can't help believing."

Top 10 Placements: 2 Placements

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (54, -24), 2012 (52, -26)

Tomatometer: 96%

Box Office: 32m (366.08m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: 4 Oscar Nominations

IMDb Synopsis: Phoenix officeworker Marion Crane is fed up with the way life has treated her. She has to meet her lover Sam in lunch breaks and they cannot get married because Sam has to give most of his money away in alimony. One Friday Marion is trusted to bank $40,000 by her employer. Seeing the opportunity to take the money and start a new life, Marion leaves town and heads towards Sam's California store. Tired after the long drive and caught in a storm, she gets off the main highway and pulls into The Bates Motel. The motel is managed by a quiet young man called Norman who seems to be dominated by his mother.

Critic Opinion: "Where would we be without ‘Psycho’? Fifty years on and Hitch’s delicious cod-Freudian nightmare about a platinum-blonde embezzler (Janet Leigh) who neglected to consult a guide before selecting her motel still has much to answer for. It blazed a bloody trail for the much-loved slasher cycle, but it also assured us that a B-movie could be A-grade in quality and innovation. It dared to suggest that your star didn’t need to surface from an ordeal smelling of roses (or, indeed, at all). It combined a knife, a scream, a melon, some chocolate sauce.

Bernard Herrmann’s greatest score and more than 70 edits to push the envelope of screen violence. It lent ‘The Simpsons’ some of its best gags: (Seymour Skinner: ‘Oh there’s Mother now, watching me. What’s that, Mother? That sailor suit doesn’t fit any more!’). It offers perfect case studies of suspense, paranoia and montage for lazy film-studies tutors. And, of course, it was the first movie to show a toilet flushing, so we might also credit it with spawning the entire gross-out genre. ‘Psycho’: we salute you." - David Jenkins

User Opinion: "One of my top 10 movies.
I remember seeing this as a kid in a drive in. It was the 2nd part of the double feature, the first movie was Star Wars. Yeah it was a really good movie night :)
Shows that blood and gore is not necessary for tension or scariness. (not that I don't mind a good bloodbath either ;) )
Anthony Perkins is so perfect in the role." - 75live

Personal Comment: Alfred Hitchcock makes another appearance on the list, this time with a movie that sat out last year only to make its glorious return.  This is also the first film from the 1960s to make our countdown, so far.  Psycho is another one of Hitchcock's more conventional and easier to digest films for a modern audience, but in many ways that's because Psycho introduced so many of the conventions we are used to today.  It's easy to look back at Psycho and wonder why it was so groundbreaking if you have seen much of the modern material we have now, but taking into context what Hitchcock got away with with this film in 1960 is nothing other than revolutionary.

• Like 14

I don't think Psycho is on par with some of the best horror films ever to grace our screens, but I have to give credit where credit is due. Psycho is a pioneer for horror films and it is because of Psycho that we have films like Halloween and Friday the 13th and Texas Chainsaw Massacre and directors like Hooper and Carpenter and Craven. I was born 12 years after Psycho was made and I really didn't get into film until at least another 10 years after that, but I can tell you that Psycho must have shocked and revolutionized film. Could you imagine a film maker so bold as to tell theater owners that they are not to permit anyone into the theater after it starts? Can you imagine a film so bold as to kill the main character half way through the film? Can you imagine a film so bold as to kill someone so graphically in the shower? Sure you can imagine all that. It's 2016. This film is 56 years old. But imagine what it did to audiences in 1960. It must have shocked the hell out of everyone back then. Psycho is a film like no other.

There have been films that have done it better than Psycho but none of them can say they were the first. Psycho is a great film and it is enjoyable, unlike other older films like Citizen Kane that are only listed as great because they were the first to do something but has nothing redeemable about it. Psycho is a creepy film and it gave birth to a genre and I am thankful for it because my favourite horror film has Psycho to thank for it's inspiration. Halloween uses the camera the same way Psycho did and Carpenter is a carbon copy of Hitchcock for this one film. The two films even share a common name and character, Sam Loomis.   

Good job forums for having it on the list.

• Like 3