The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

Number 81

The Terminator (1984)

30 Points (17 Votes, Avg Score 59.4118)

Terminator1984movieposter.jpg

"I'll be back."

Changes in Placement Over Time: 2014 (83, +2), 2013 (91, +10), 2012 (28, -53)

Tomatometer: 100%

Box Office: 38.37m (97.39m)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Ranked #215 on IMDb

IMDb Synopsis: A cyborg is sent from the future on a deadly mission. He has to kill Sarah Connor, a young woman whose life will have a great significance in years to come. Sarah has only one protector - Kyle Reese - also sent from the future. The Terminator uses his exceptional intelligence and strength to find Sarah, but is there any way to stop the seemingly indestructible cyborg?

Critic Opinion: "On which note, Reese’s confession that he’s returned from the future solely to make love to her is just a teensy bit creepy, but we forgive it because Biehn’s performance is so unusually sensitive, retreating into the shadows as the film unfolds to give Hamilton centre stage. 

And…well, that’s it. From the slam-bang direction to the relentless pace to the not-a-word-wasted dialogue and even the driving synth score, everything else about ‘The Terminator’ just works. Let’s hope the latest sequel is even half as good." - Tom Huddleston

User Opinion: "T1 is one of my Top 10 favorite movies of all time. It's got that awesome '80s vibe, it's got heart, the script is tight as hell (no fat whatsoever), the direction and editing are faultless (perfectly paced and tension-filled throughout), memorable moments abound, one of the greatest villains of all time, and the greatest Arnold one-liner of all time.

A perfect 10." - The Stingray

Personal Comment: The Terminator is the first Cameron film to make the list, and it definitely will not be the last.  It also marks the 5th 80s film to make the list, tying the decade back with the 2010s as the decade with the most films on the countdown.  The Terminator is the iconic role of Arnold, sure he's had plenty of old action hits, but there's no film he's remembered more for than this one (and the sequels down the line).  The film is full of quotable one-liners, thrilling action sequences, and an innovative time travel story for the time it was written.  It's easy, with the whole endless Avatar sequel talk mess, to forget how great of a storyteller Cameron is and how well he can connect his films with the audiences.  While, The Terminator wasn't Cameron's biggest hit by a longshot, it is another example of how he brilliantly he can execute something fairly simple.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I wouldn't say that's true for any of the creative industries, but whatever floats your boat. :lol: 

Shhhhhhh Tele.... The Hunger Games books are obviously better than anything that was written prior to the 21st century

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

people like to jerk off to the art of their generation i think it's a natural thing. in 20 years these kids will be all "ehhh, but the 2010s, that was the moment man"

And Transformers will get its rightful place on the list :ph34r:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, water said:

stick to your guns. i can count the movies from the 1900s that i like on my fingers, yet people here want to fill an entire top 100 of all time list with them. and whenever there's a newer movie it's all outrage and condescension, even though like any industry movies get better over time

You didn't even submit a list from what I saw. Go sit down somewhere.

2 minutes ago, mldardy said:

You didn't even submit a list from what I saw. Go sit down somewhere.

yeah i didn't know this was happening. if i had known, i would have submitted a list more objective than what is being reflected by the results so far.