The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

Number 80

Whiplash (2014)

31 Points (13 Votes, Avg Score 48.5385)

MV5BMTU4OTQ3MDUyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTA2

"There are no two words in the English language more harmful than "good job"."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 1

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (Not Ranked), 2013 (Not Ranked), 2012 (Not Ranked)

Tomatometer: 94%

Box Office: 13.09m (13.71m)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 3 Oscars

Critic Opinion: "Together, Teller and Simmons are a force to be reckoned with and early Oscar buzz is richly deserved.

Chazelle, too, proves himself to be an astute writer and director: his script is adept at dropping explosive one-liners but it is also fiercely intelligent in the way that it poses questions while also serving up characters who are worth hanging out with. His direction, meanwhile, is pretty much pace- perfect in the way that it hits all the right beats yet is savvy enough and confident enough to toss in some curve-balls.

Hence, from its brilliantly realised opening scene to its sensational climax, Whiplash is a crowd-pleaser of the highest order that is well worth beating your own drum about afterwards." - Rob Carnevale

User Opinion: "Chazelle’s direction is felt throughout the whole movie. Only this directing style can make the sudden car crash on the way to a competition feel natural. I also have commend Chazelle and Tom Cross for the editing in this movie. Much has been said about the climax, about how it makes you feel like you are Andrew throughout the whole thing, remaining incredibly tense for something that is merely instrumental. The final shots of the film are shockingly cathartic. That said, I want to talk about a different scene’s editing, namely, when Andrew leaves Schaffer, this is intercut with scenes of him meeting with an attorney who wants to get Fletcher out of Schaffer. The jumps from Andrew packing up his dorm to wondering if he should really sell out Fletcher are remarkably well-done, as we can follow Andrew’s thought-process with the attorney by cutting to the immense sadness of his expulsion from the college. The whole film is remarkably well-edited.

Honestly, I think Whiplash is the type of movie that can have a book be written on it. There’s a lot of themes going on here, and a lot of film theory that can be dissected (and I’m only in my second semester of film school, so who knows what an actual film scholar could tackle with it). As it is on its own, it’s an immensely entertaining film, bolstered with great performances, intricate themes, fantastic direction, and some of the best editing I’ve ever seen. I will certainly be catching it in theaters again, and after a single watch, Whiplash is one of my favorites of 2014." - Blankments

Personal Comment:  Whiplash's entry on the countdown marks the 5th film from the 2010s putting it back on top for the decade with the most movies on the countdown.  Whiplash also breaks a long string of blockbuster like movies to a much more indie and small-scale pick.  What's interesting about the film's inclusion is that it was able to outrank a good number of other 2014 films that weren't placed ahead of it on BOT awards and countdown lists during that year.  However, it didn't outrank them all, as a few 2014 films managed to work their way above this one on the countdown... I wonder what movie(s) from that year were so stellar, out of this world and hailed above all that they managed to place above this one?  Anyways, as for this movie, it was an intense, small-scale film about music that made you hold your breath the entire way through.

• Like 14

I don't think it's anywhere near the best 100 films of all-time, but I do love how this movie inspires so much passion from people. It's relatively small, it didn't even do so well at the box-office, but everyone I know who's watched it, LOVES it. That's an amazing feat for a movie like this. It's one of the few movies recently nominated for the Oscars that I feel confident in saying it earned it more based on its merits than on its campaign. People respond to it. That's always encouraging.

I personally think it's a very assured sophomore film, with a thrilling two-hander between Simmons and Teller. La La Land is one of my most anticipated movies of this year, I feel like Chazelle is here to stay.

• Like 4

Predictions on the 13 animated features.

WDAS:

1. Aladdin (1992) (we already know this)

Remaining:

By Studio Ghibli:

2. Spirited Away (2001)

By Pixar:

3. Toy Story (1995)

4. Toy Story 2 (1999)

5. Monsters, Inc. (2001)

6. Finding Nemo (2003)

7. The Incredibles (2004)

8. Ratatouille (2007)

9. WALL-E (2008)

10. Up (2009)

11. Toy Story 3 (2010)

12. Inside Out (2015)

WDAS:

13. The Lion King (1994)

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, water said:

instead of pretending these old ass movies are good you could just cut to the chase and insert the 35mm's right up your old asses

tumblr_o2kbj0Hi4T1un7uhro9_r2_250.gif

46 minutes ago, water said:

stick to your guns. i can count the movies from the 1900s that i like on my fingers, yet people here want to fill an entire top 100 of all time list with them. and whenever there's a newer movie it's all outrage and condescension, even though like any industry movies get better over time

red_october_reaction.gif?w=620

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

WDAS:

Remaining:

By Studio Ghibli:

2. Spirited Away (2001)

By Pixar:

3. Toy Story (1995)

4. Toy Story 2 (1999)

5. Monsters, Inc. (2001)

6. Finding Nemo (2003)

8. Ratatouille (2007)

9. WALL-E (2008)

10. Up (2009)

11. Toy Story 3 (2010)

12. Inside Out (2015)

WDAS:

13. The Lion King (1994)

I would be pretty surprised if Beauty and the Beast didn't make it

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

WDAS:

Remaining:

By Studio Ghibli:

2. Spirited Away (2001)

By Pixar:

3. Toy Story (1995)

4. Toy Story 2 (1999)

5. Monsters, Inc. (2001)

6. Finding Nemo (2003)

8. Ratatouille (2007)

9. WALL-E (2008)

10. Up (2009)

11. Toy Story 3 (2010)

12. Inside Out (2015)

WDAS:

13. The Lion King (1994)

Beauty & The Beast will also probably be on this list as well.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

10 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

I personally think it's a very assured sophomore film, with a thrilling two-hander between Simmons and Teller. La La Land is one of my most anticipated movies of this year, I feel like Chazelle is here to stay.

I'm psyched for La La Land just on general principle that its an original musical

1 hour ago, Truckasaurus said:

The opening scene from SPR is so thrilling that it sort of negatively influences the rest of the movie: it starts on such a high that there's no way to go but down afterwards. Nevertheless, it's still a pretty good movie. Spielberg lays on the sentimentalism pretty thick, but then again, that's natural considering his sensibilities. Tom Hanks is excellent, one of his best performances in my book. 

It's no The Thin Red Line, though. ;)

I really hope you are kidding bout TRL lol

1 hour ago, water said:

instead of pretending these old ass movies are good you could just cut to the chase and insert the 35mm's right up your old asses

tumblr_o2kbj0Hi4T1un7uhro9_r2_250.gif

I understand where you are coming from in terms of liking movies of your era, but to say that any movies from the 1900's are shit is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, water said:

zootopia is better than every single movie released in a year starting with a 1

I haven't seen Zootopia but animation isn't nearly as good as live action so this statement is silly.

53 minutes ago, water said:

stick to your guns. i can count the movies from the 1900s that i like on my fingers, yet people here want to fill an entire top 100 of all time list with them. and whenever there's a newer movie it's all outrage and condescension, even though like any industry movies get better over time

Again, I understand where you are co disagree with you vehemently when you say all movies get better over time.  That is categorically untrue.

53 minutes ago, Goffe said:

SPR is, at least, a half hour too long. Only thing I remember is that the beginning was exciting and that the last action sequence had me checking my watch every 5 minutes.

Yes but you hate movies.