The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

while it is immaculate filmmaking i never liked how the final set piece just seems to turn into the good guys vs. the bad guys. felt antithetical to the rest of the picture.

I'm going to have to look antithetical up.

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

SPR is two amazing setpieces, two awful wraparounds, and a decent film stuck in between all of that.

TRL is transcendent and majestic from start to finish. :)

1310121676_angry_wrestler.gif

• Like 3

Number 82

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

30 Points (14 Votes, Avg Score 43.3571)

687ff26dee.jpg

"Get out of my way son, you're usin' my oxygen."

Top 10 Placements: 1

Changes in Rankings Over Time: 2014 (56, -26), 2013 (49, -33), 2012 (48, -34)

Tomatometer: 95%

Box Office: 108.98m (460.62m Adjusted)

Most Notable Awards Recognition: Won 5 Oscars, including Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: McMurphy has a criminal past and has once again gotten himself into trouble and is sentenced by the court. To escape labor duties in prison, McMurphy pleads insanity and is sent to a ward for the mentally unstable. Once here, McMurphy both endures and stands witness to the abuse and degradation of the oppressive Nurse Ratched, who gains superiority and power through the flaws of the other inmates. McMurphy and the other inmates band together to make a rebellious stance against the atrocious Nurse.

Critic Opinion: "Nicholson could always be relied on to supply a certain rakish charm. Here he actually becomes the brash, outspoken McMurphy, delighting us with his impudence and defiance. He also manages to expose yet another, less noticeable layer of McMurphy - his deep compassion for his fellow human beings, which acts as a balance for his otherwise violent nature. It is a performance of dazzling complexity and energy, the kind of perfect triumph that happens in those rare times when the right actor meets the challenge of the right role.

That the remainder of the cast is equally brilliant is a tribute not only to their talent, but to Forman’s ability to draw such natural responses from everyone. One must mention Louise Fletcher as the icily determined, hopelessly misguided Nurse Ratched, William Redfield as the ward’s fussy intellectual, Will Sampson as the Indian chief - a gentle giant - and Brad Dourif as the painfully tongue-tied victim of Nurse Ratched’s heartlessness.

“One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” is the best film therapy one can recommend." - Kathleen Carrol

User Opinion: "Brilliant film, Forman's best. The cast and performances are superb, it's not only Nicholson. Louise Fletcher's only noteworthy appearance (imho) but what a haunting and elusive antagonist she makes as nurse Ratched! Brad Dourif, Danny deVito, Christopher Lloyd! And lots more!
It's one of a few films that dispense with film music. There are a few notes, especially beginning/ending, but most of the time it's just the sounds and dialogue. When nurse Ratched puts on music, it's part of the plot. It makes for a really gritty atmosphere.
My favourite scenes: When they "escape" and steal a boat for a day's deep-sea fishing. It underlines how much happines there could be and so makes the institution even more opressive by contrast.

Visually it's by-the-numbers, but you don't need creative cinematography with such a terrific cast and story and dense atmoshere. The set-up is so simple this could be a good stage play." - IndustriousAngel

Personal Comment: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is another film that suffered a relatively large drop off over the last three years, very similar to Saving Private Ryan.  The movie marks another appearance by Nicholson on the list, and the second film from the 70s to make the list.  The movie received fantastic reception upon release, and strangely adjusts to quite a large amount of money given its nature as a drama (But then again, the film landscape was much different in the 70s than right now).  The film is another one nearly everyone has seen and liked to some extent, and has oddly made its own little place in cinematic history.

• Like 13

The opening scene from SPR is so thrilling that it sort of negatively influences the rest of the movie: it starts on such a high that there's no way to go but down afterwards. Nevertheless, it's still a pretty good movie. Spielberg lays on the sentimentalism pretty thick, but then again, that's natural considering his sensibilities. Tom Hanks is excellent, one of his best performances in my book. 

It's no The Thin Red Line, though. ;)

Edited by Truckasaurus

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Bro, you're making me look bad.

stick to your guns. i can count the movies from the 1900s that i like on my fingers, yet people here want to fill an entire top 100 of all time list with them. and whenever there's a newer movie it's all outrage and condescension, even though like any industry movies get better over time

1 minute ago, water said:

stick to your guns. i can count the movies from the 1900s that i like on my fingers, yet people here want to fill an entire top 100 of all time list with them. and whenever there's a newer movie it's all outrage and condescension, even though like any industry movies get better over time

Jesus-facepalm.jpg

• Like 3