WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

I find it amusing when people say certain actors are not draws. We've been through this a million times. There are maybe two or three actors that can truly get people into the theater. The rest of them it's all based on concept. So when you say Ryan Gosling is not a draw that's because he does films like drive or the nice guys or some movie where he's talking to a dummy or something. Ryan Gosling has never been concerned with high-profile films films so we don't know right now if he is a draw b or not. Perhaps if you put him in a movie that had more of a Teenage interest then he would suddenly become a draw for right now he does what he feels like doing. So unless your name is Denzel Washington or Leonardo DiCaprio or Jennifer Lawrence I don't really think you can say anyone is a draw right now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Horror typically founders in the summer. The first Conjuring was an exception.

The Conjuring was definitely a major over performer, but there's usually one or two that do decent money. I wouldn't say horror "typically flounders": 

2015: Insidious 3 $52.2m, Poltergeist $47.4m
2014: Purge: Anarchy $72m
2013: The Purge $65m, Conjuring $137m
2012: The Possession $42m
2011: Final Destination 5 $42m
2010: Last Exorcism $41m
2009: Final Destination 4 $67m, Drag Me To Hell $41m, Orphan $42m, Halloween II $33m
2008: The Strangers $53m, Mirrors $31m
2007: 1408 $72m, Halloween $58m
2006: The Omen $55m, The Descent $26m

Usually one or two misses too:

2015: Sinister 2, The Gallows
2014: Deliver Us From Evil, As Above So Below
2013: You're Next
2012: Chernobyl Diaries
2011: Shark Night, Fright Night
2010: Piranha*, Splice
2006: 28 Weeks Later, Hostel 2

Piranha made up for it worldwide though. Plus Gallows cost $100k, Chernobyl Diaries $1m so not technically "bombs". 

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

I am not sure why people keep insisting Civil War isn't an Avengers movie. Even Marvel sold it as one. Take out Iron Man and this wouldn't have made nearly as much as it did. 

Personal anecdotal evidence: after talking to my parents when it ended, this conversation happened

Dad: This was an Avengers movie, right?

Me: No, it's technically Cap 3.

Dad: Weird. It's pretty much an Avengers movie

Mom: Well, probably because of Bucky. No one in the Avengers cares about Bucky, but he's Cap's best friend

Dad: That's a good point

lol

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Blank Panther said:

I can give you a 2015 breakdown for my entire family because they're all average filmgoers except me

Dad (66-years-old): 

Selma

Tomorrowland/Avengers: Age of Ultron (counts as one trip because he went to the drive-in)

Inside Out

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

The Man From UNCLE

The Martian

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2

The Peanuts Movie

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Creed

Mom (56-years-old):

Big Eyes

Selma

Cinderella

Tomorrowland/Avengers: Age of Ultron

San Andreas

Inside Out (twice)

The Martian

The Good Dinosaur

Older brother (22-years-old):

Inside Out

Fantastic Four

The Good Dinosaur

Joy

Younger brother (18-years-old):

The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death

Selma

Insidious: Chapter 3

Inside Out

The Gallows

Ant-Man

The only one of these they went to without me somewhat dragging them to it were the horror movies that my little brother went to, Fantastic Four for my older brother, and The Martian for my parents.

For what it's worth also, so far this year, the only movies my parents have seen are Jungle Book and Civil War.

your whole family saw mockingjay part 2, they have good taste

tumblr_o1bphaLIBM1qfh70bo1_250.gif

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

I find it amusing when people say certain actors are not drawers. We've been through this a million times. There are maybe two or three actors that can truly get people into the theater. The rest of them it's all based on concept. So when you say Ryan Gosling is not a draw that's because he does films like drive or the nice guys or some movie where he's talking to a dummy or something. Ryan Gosling has never been concerned with high-profile films films so we don't know right now if he has a job or not. Perhaps if you put him in a movie that had more of a Teenage interests then he would suddenly become a draw for right now he does what he feels like doing. So unless your name is Denzel Washington or Leonardo DiCaprio or Jennifer Lawrence I don't really think you can say anyone is a drawer right now.

He does, B! His IMDB page told us so! :P

So the Marvel flop finally hit a billion, eh?

Marvel should give up trying to make Captain America happen.

Piracy really cut into CW's chances to break out and now we are left with a billion-dollar grosser that would have/could have really been a contender.

• Like 3

My dad sees pretty much everything with me; even when I get my license he'll still probably come with me if I planned on going solo.

My mom went to see IO with me and my grandma last year but before that she hadn't been to the theater since Cloudy w/ Meatballs in 2009.

My sister's frequency is all over the place. She saw JW with us last year and TGD with a friend at school but it was a while back when she last went to the movies before that.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

"Neighbors 2 proves Seth Rogen isn't a true draw."

"Neighbors 2 is the latest strikeout for Zac Efron."

Although to be fair, he is on some kind of a miss streak right now. Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates doesn't look like it'll reverse his luck, either.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

"Neighbors 2 is the latest strikeout for Zac Efron."

Although to be fair, he is on some kind of a miss streak right now. Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates doesn't look like it'll reverse his luck, either.

What miss streak? His last five movies were all box office successes.

Just now, department store basement said:

I haven't seen a movie with my parents since I went to college.

I assume that's the same case for a lot of people here.

I saw The Counselor with my mother. It was great. 

• Like 4

Just now, Treetrunk Special said:

What miss streak? His last five movies were all box office successes.

He hasn't really had an unqualified hit since the first Neighbors. We Are Your Friends' gross was embarrassingly microscopic.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He hasn't really had an unqualified hit since the first Neighbors. We Are Your Friends' gross was embarrassingly microscopic.

but it wasn't a flop, it still made money

29 minutes ago, RichWS said:

It's amusing how divided people seem to be regarding Civil War having too much or too little action. 

That was the other half of my parents' post-Civil-War discussion, because my mom thought it needed more in the first half LOL