WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 75): X-MEN 103.3M OS OW | Angry Birds 38.15M | Captain America 32.9M (Ahoy Matey!!) | Neighbors 21.7M | The Nice Guys 11.2M | Jungle Book 10.9M

So Neighbors 2 won't reach a $100 million domestic. Then that means what comedies will breakout this summer? Popstar could likely debut between $8-$11 million opening weekend and close around $25 million domestic. Popstar's OW needs to be around Get Him To The Greek's OW in order to be a surprise hit. That's My Boy's OW would just be normal but not a surpise.                                             Central Intelligence should bring in at least $45-$50 million opening weekend, and leg and do about $150-$155 million domestic.          Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates should open around the OW of Let's Be Cops and make about $60 million domestic.                                Ghostbusters should open around $45 million OW and make $160 million domestic.                                   Sausage Party should debut around $25 million OW, and make $90 million domestic.                       War Dogs should do $10-$12 million OW, and make about $25-30 million domestic.   

25 minutes ago, department store basement said:

People liked Shane Black better. (Ironic given this weekend)

Not sure about that... I think, with Avengers 2 and, now, 2.5, being front loaded is now the norm given, a la Potter, Twilight, etc., the GA feels they have to have seen all of the recent MCU flicks to fully grasp the story. I still think solo efforts like Black Panther , Spidey, Strange will have 3.0 multipliers. I think Guardians 2 will have a nice multi too due to it being a direct sequel.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

But yeah, basically only family aimed films are doing it this year.

10CL did it though. I don't think anyone could have predicted that due to the first Cloverfield's horrible legs.

Didn't realize KFP3 had >3x. That surprises me given how much less it grossed than the other KFPs. Guess the family audience was starved.

• Like 1

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Not sure about that... I think, with Avengers 2 and, now, 2.5, being front loaded is now the norm given, a la Potter, Twilight, etc., the GA feels they have to have seen all of the recent MCU flicks to fully grasp the story. I still think solo efforts like Black Panther , Spidey, Strange will have 3.0 multipliers. I think Guardians 2 will have a nice multi too due to it being a direct sequel.

I wasn't being serious.

• Like 1

Sony has two hits this summer with Money Monster and Angry Birds. Sony has some potential hits for the summer with The Shallows, Ghostbusters, Sausage Party, and Don't Breathe. WB for now just has Central Intelligence, and Suicide Squad for this summer. Me Before You has always been a wildcard. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, department store basement said:

10CL did it though. I don't think anyone could have predicted that due to the first Cloverfield's horrible legs.

Didn't realize KFP3 had >3x. That surprises me given how much less it grossed than the other KFPs. Guess the family audience was starved.

Well above 3x.

3.45x (41.3m ow, 142.5m dom)

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

With these developments... It's very possible and even likely that The Mermaid will gross more in China ($527M) than any film grosses DOM. Already bested BvS and  CW. Dory won't touxh $500M DOM. Suicide Squad will break out but that won't be enough. Nit buying ID4 2 coming close to that DOM. Pretty much Rogue One is the last hope or China wins.

He'll, I'm rooting for The Mermaid.

Maybe it´s the begining of a new era.

If it follows this growing year by year, in 5 years, movies over 600 million will be common in China, we can´t forget it´s incredible population of 1,3 billion people and in the next years most of them, will have enough money to go to movies regularly.

It´s a question of time (maybe not much) that China will be box office king worldwide...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I hope you're right across the board here. Can't say I share your optimism  though.

Other than CW's Saturday increase, it's hardly optimistic. I have MM and Darkness DROPPING on Saturday, and SR is painfully underperforming, while ABM and NG are pretty much hovering they were expected to be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, setna said:

Maybe it´s the begining of a new era.

If it follows this growing year by year, in 5 years, movies over 600 million will be common in China, we can´t forget it´s incredible population of 1,3 billion people and in the next years most of them, will have enough money to go to movies regularly.

It´s a question of time (maybe not much) that China will be box office king worldwide...

A Chinese market at maturity with an average of 2 movies per person (two times less compared to DOM) and a similar average ticket price would get it close to $22.5B.

18 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Has any film this year opened to >10m and had a >3x multiplier other than Zootopia and 10CL?

The Jungle Book. 13 Hours. The 5th Wave. Risen. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2. To name a few.

Also, 10CL falls a little short of a 3X multi.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

This movie certainly more than deserves to do better than this.. It really does and you folks can laugh at this shit and throw it in the title from now til hell freezes over, but I'm sticking with Piracy not exactly benefitting this movie..

:rofl:

You gotta laugh at those absurd attempts of yours at justifying the "disappointing" performance of a billion-dollar grosser that would have made the exact same amount of money (A fricking billion dollars) piracy or not.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, movieboner said:

In the end, it's still a Captain America sequel whether they call it Iron Man 4 or Avengers 2.5. Average moviegoers probably think it's just a Captain America film. Only cbm fans can distinguish between them both. Domestically and worldwide, Iron Man surpasses Cap in popularity by a large margin.

Not sure if serious.

:lol:

20 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

So Neighbors 2 won't reach a $100 million domestic. Then that means what comedies will breakout this summer?

Mark my words: Ghostbusters will be the summer's biggest surprise (because most people expect it to either flop or gross like an average 120-160 summer hit).