CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

32 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Do you think people will buy a ticket to the movie just to leave a bad review? I don't think Disney would mind that actually, but I don't see it happening.

People in the past have bought much more expensive things than a movie ticket just to put up a video of them burning it.

Don't underestimate stupidity. I'd really love if someone got the idea of buying out entire showings thinking they are preventing others from watching the film :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

People in the past have bought much more expensive things than a movie ticket just to put up a video of them burning it.

Don't underestimate stupidity. I'd really love if someone got the idea of buying out entire showings thinking they are preventing others from watching the film :lol:

There are people who could do that, but they aren't enough to make review bombing.

Most people who buy a ticket are interested in the movie at some level. In fact, the RT Audience Score will tend to positive due to this reason.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

Some of the reviews sound like unverified audience reviews. I don't care to count how many used "cash grab" in their reviews.  Oh how things have changed.

And here's a snippet of a ROTTEN review.

The Little Mermaid is arguably the best live-action Disney remake since Kenneth Branagh’s Cinderella. The splendor is there; the romance is crafted with care — but something’s still missing.

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I agree with some of this, but the Miranda shade is gob smacking. The man is brilliant. Hamilton a masterpiece that is one of the great pieces of art in theatrical history. I’m not sure how you’d achieve that without having any talent. 

Hamilton is cringe.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Some people did this and will do it. But when the sample size gets large they are irrelevant. There's not enough crazies to skew a GA sample of reviews. When thousands of reviews start pouring in a couple of crazies don't make any difference.

The Woman King was the subject of racially inflammatory clickbait and heated intermet discourse, and still got a 99 percent verified score on RT (over 5,000 votes). Rotten Tomatoes fixed their review-bombing problem for theatrically released films years ago, though it still can be an issue for everything else (straight to streaming movies and TV series). Verified RT scores tend to correspond with the Cinemascore more or less.

Unless the anti-woke crowd figures out a hack or actually books tickets through RT to downvote The Little Mermaid in large numbers, they won't affect the audience ratings there. The haters will just find some other metric (IMDb ratings, numbers from the worst international markets) and will spin success into failure and get their clicks that way. We've seen it before; it is what it is...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 10

25 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The Woman King was the subject of racially inflammatory clickbait and heated intermet discourse, and still got a 99 percent verified score on RT (over 5,000 votes). Rotten Tomatoes fixed their review-bombing problem for theatrically released films years ago, though it still can be an issue for everything else (straight to streaming movies and TV series). Verified RT scores tend to correspond with the Cinemascore more or less.

Unless the anti-woke crowd figures out a hack or actually books tickets through RT to downvote The Little Mermaid in large numbers, they won't affect the audience ratings there. The haters will just find some other metric (IMDb ratings, numbers from the worst international markets) and will spin success into failure and get their clicks that way. We've seen it before; it is what it is...

They'll all get together and photoshop the same ticket to read different info. I mean-they all live in their parents' basements, have a secret network, and have nothing better to do, right? lol

• Haha 2

Yea, this could end up a billion dollar movie, and the internet will be flooded with “go woke go broke” takes. Heck, we saw that with Captain Marvel, and when it was a hit, conspiracies circulated that the numbers were falsified.

Best to ignore those losers, imo.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Did 1994's The Jungle Book officially start the Disney live-action trend? 

That movie is much more of another adaptation of the book and has more in common with an Indiana Jones style adventure than the animated Disney film. It has none of the songs from the '67 film and does not attempt to recreate shots.