CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

I love that this movie is at $500 million. If I’m not mistaken this is the second highest grossing film after Wakanda Forever starring an African American female lead as the star. I think The Bodyguard starring Whitney Houston is number 3.

• Like 6
  • Heart 2

As not american i can tell you Disney always has been what it is now, and with that i mean the home of the liberal progressism. 

It's fun to read a complaint about how "they're changing stories" as Walt disney himself didn't take all these stories from all around the world and made them pure american, totally killing their cultural origins and meaning. 

Disney movies are about individualism, self affermation of your own persona above society rules and the pursuit of happiness. They defend this of the single person while at the same moment is always represented a division of roles (a methaphor of the classes division that must be normalized in a capitalistic society) . They are huge metaphors of western capitalism (and they were made to extend in the early 900 an anti communist spirit on americans and not only). 

So I laugh when i read "now disney movies are political or they are too full of the "spirit of the times". They always have been and there is nothing of Collodi in Disney's Pinocchio....they're complaining about the black godmother, as the animated movie didn't already turn what in the book is a teen girl with blue hair in the typical mature american looking mother. 

Edited by vale9001

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

As not american i can tell you Disney always has been what it is now, and with that i mean the home of the liberal progressism. 

It's fun to read a complaint about how "they're changing stories" as Walt disney himself didn't take all these stories from all around the world and made them pure american, totally killing their cultural origins and meaning. 

Disney movies are about individualism, self affermation of your own persona above society rules and the pursuit of happiness. They defend this of the single person while at the same moment is always represented a division of roles (a methaphor of the classes division that must be normalized in a capitalistic society) . They are huge metaphors of western capitalism (and they were made to extend in the early 900 an anti communist spirit on americans and not only). 

So I laugh when i read "now disney movies are political or they are too full of the "spirit of the times". They always have been and there is nothing of Collodi in Disney's Pinocchio....they're complaining about the black godmother, as the animated movie didn't already turn what in the book is a teen girl with blue hair in the typical mature american looking mother. 

As someone that isn’t from the U.S. but a South American, I find takes like this hilarious.

Disney didn’t invent cultural appropriation. That’s very much a Hollywood thing. That’s what Hollywood as a whole has ever done. That’s what a lot of the critical darling directors have done. That’s Hollywood, not Disney. That’s all their studios, not Disney. I’m all for a more diverse film market too, but I don’t see how singling out Hollywood studios that are actively trying to have a more diverse output is harmful.

I don’t see what Universal, Paramount, Sony or WB are doing anything more groundbreaking than Disney. That’s Hollywood for you. U.S. making cultural appropriation swings, over the top nationalism to downright military propaganda (from Bond joints to Iron Man and the first and latest Top Gun flick). There are no good guys here, no good studios. But there is also great storytelling and good use of diversity, even if it’s to spread their business reach. The USA is more diverse than ever, and same for the world. It’s a good thing when Hollywood reflects more that, even if it’s still very much appropriating other countries cultures.

• Like 1

This was never heading for bomb territory, more like mild flop/disappointment territory, but disney is pretty damn good at recovering from those through ancilliaries and whatnot. bomb is stuff that's completely unsalvageable like indy/flash.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, McNerdy said:

Agreed.

Does this count toward BoxOffice numbers?

Lmao no if it's a fan event at comic con, they likely didn't even pay for it. Seems like it could be a free fan screening that Disney is throwing at SDCC

DOMESTIC (53.1%)
$295,169,006
INTERNATIONAL (46.9%)
$260,304,742
WORLDWIDE
$555,473,748

Per B.O. Mojo.
Might end up just slightly above deadline's break-even point ($560 M); should add 4M$ in USA (if it follows Aladdin's path) and I guess 5M$ more Internationally (most of it coming from Japan)?
Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

11 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Looks like Barbenheimer will officially prevent TLM from reaching $300 million domestic after all. Not sure how they will muster up $4 million more with dailies less than $100K.

Dollar theaters, combo with another movie, fudge. Disney did that with A Wrinkle In Time (100M). 

Barbenheimer didn't prevent TLM, TLM simply didn't hold well enough to get there before the event of the year that affected all other holdovers. It started with bigger boxoffice than Aladdin but lost the competitive edge quickly. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

It would be interesting to have an updated breakdown from Deadline, since the 560 break-even point was based on a larger Dom to Int ratio... I guess with dom possibly failing to reach 300 M, the break-even should be closer to 575 M WW (taking into account all the big revenues that deadline expects it to generate from PVOD, disney+ home video etc)

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire

3 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

It would be interesting to have an updated breakdown from Deadline, since the 560 break-even point was based on a larger Dom to Int ratio... I guess with dom possibly failing to reach 300 M, the break-even should be closer to 575 M WW (taking into account all the big revenues that deadline expects it to generate from PVOD, disney+ home video etc)

It’s hard to imagine a 300 grossing DOM film can’t hit breakeven, unless this was an Indy case of insane budget. But they’re getting way more of that share than OS, I think this is fine. But the OS gross is really a shame. 

Deadline is an AMPTP meatrider publication, their profitability numbers should not be taken seriously. Remember those ridiculous "here's how Black Adam can still make a profit" face-saving articles

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Deadline is an AMPTP meatrider publication, their profitability numbers should not be taken seriously. Remember those ridiculous "here's how Black Adam can still make a profit" face-saving articles>

I agree with this. I wonder what headline will they come up with. 

• Like 1