CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

9 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Ursula is gonna get a back story isn't it? Lol. But those reactions sounds good, for general audience best live-action adaptation actually means a lot. The only I can think that they actually disliked is Mulan while Alice was meh. 

5 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Well I'm taking back my comment about Ursula I guess. 

Critically the jungle book is the stand out for live action remakes with 94% on RT.

Everything else is between 45-75% on RT so their track record is quite mixed. Based on these reactions maybe it will land between 70-85%

My real problem trying to interpret early reactions — and this was also a problem post-GOTG3 premiere —  is that it's damn difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff since The Great Bluecheck Purge on Twitter.  Before at least I could search by filter:verified and then see which of those accounts were RT critics or other decently influential people.

Now though, it's a free for all and trying to suss which accounts are influencers, which are just enthusiastic fans, and which are going to show up on the Tomatometer is an exercise in... Well it ain't as easy, I'll put it that way.

(esp since now I can't even search Twitter at all without having an account and am forced to use front ends like Nitter to search the platform)

Get the sense this will be above right around Aladdin (see post below for reasoning) at the very least and should be GA-friendly, which were the bars this film needed to clear.  See soon enough if these reactions will give it a boost in pre-sales or not.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

This is actually a reaction from someone I was looking for:

Plus/Minus Aladdin sounds about right.  

(mind the GA really took to Aladdin, so...)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

I must be the only one who's not mad about Disney doing live action remakes of their movies. I don't consider them "unnecessary". I think it's fun to see how they look with live actors. Just wish they'd been better.  I don't really know why they aren't better. They usually follow the original story. Maybe the original stories are more excusable in terms of quality because they are animated and considered for kids, but now adults are watching the live action. Idk...i'm just rumbling.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Her point still stands after 4 years

DfrJ8GCXcAEbBX_.jpg

Didn't A Wrinkle in Time get terrible audience scores as well 😛 Perhaps "40 year-old white dude" was onto something there. In general it is a cowardly take to say that scores don't matter because critics are out of demo.

Anyway, reaction look fine to good, I guess? Probably good enough to land on the upper end of disney remakes, anyway, though that is not saying much. Going to guess a ~70% for this one.

11 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I must be the only one who's not mad about Disney doing live action remakes of their movies. I don't consider them "unnecessary". I think it's fun to see how they look with live actors. Just wish they'd been better.  I don't really know why they aren't better. They usually follow the original story. Maybe the original stories are more excusable in terms of quality because they are animated and considered for kids, but now adults are watching the live action. Idk...i'm just rumbling.

The answer to how these live-action versions would look seems to be: uniformly ugly. But I admit I would’ve been intrigued to see what a Pixar style update would’ve looked like. Maybe they’ll be the next iteration. 

13 minutes ago, Maggie said:

That they're all inexplicably half an hour longer than their animated counterparts is a big part of the problem. 

This feels like another Aladdin which audiences dug.

Should have a decent shot at 300m.

I don't know if it can manage Aladdin legs with a crowded June but should silence the "go woke, go broke" Neanderthals.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, eXtacy said:

What are the general predictions for this film. Havent looked yet

290m|470m 760m WW

Is this low? To high. What are people expecting

I think it's low...at least domestic. I have it at over 350M, basically Aladdin numbers

• Like 1