CaptainJackSparrow

The Little Mermaid | Disney | May 26, 2023 | Queen Halle will rule the summer!

6 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

If its just going to be a worse version of something that already exists (with minimal changes) I dont see how it can be described as anything other than "unnecessary"

It is probably very necessary from the point of view of Disney's bottom line....

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Halle Baily is really lovely and likable and that outweights wonky SFX. Families will lap this up and more than just that demo. I'm warming up to it. 

She does seem like the best thing about this movie. Rob Marshall is what really worries me. The bad CG. The scary undersea friends. The fact that it's 2hrs 15mins. 

• Like 2

Went over the reactions; more "its ok"s than I expected, I think its impossible for this to not be certified fresh, but I expect it'll have a pretty meh average rating

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

2 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Went over the reactions; more "its ok"s than I expected, I think its impossible for this to not be certified fresh, but I expected it'll have a pretty meh average score

Like we learned from Mario and GOTG3, it’s all about how audiences feels about the film. 

Edited by PrinceRico

8 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I think the verified audience score and the cinemascore together are the best indicator of legs.

Only for movies that have broad appeal so that secondary, tertiary, etc target audience continues the business once primary target audience is exhausted. Movies with very limited appeal aren't helped much because if there's no interest then high scores won't create it. 

But since LM is a broad appeal movie like Mario,etc then yeah absolutely. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lurrrrk said:

Will the Little Mermaid be the first big-budget movie led by a black woman to make more of it's money internationally than domestically? I could see it.

Other than the bodyguard then this should be a near lock. It will make far less INT than aladdin or BatB but it would have to do abysmal in comparison to not be better than its DOM gross even considering presales don't look bad.

Edited by JustLurking

The fact that Hallie completely nailed it and is phenomenal is probably the best thing the movie could hope for. The fact that nothing is absolutely dreadful (most people don't care that much about pacing) and that McCarthy and Diggs pleasantly surprised are bonuses. Most people want to see Ariel and apparently this Ariel is outstanding.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jedijake said:

The fact that Hallie completely nailed it and is phenomenal is probably the best thing the movie could hope for. The fact that nothing is absolutely dreadful (most people don't care that much about pacing) and that McCarthy and Diggs pleasantly surprised are bonuses. Most people want to see Ariel and apparently this Ariel is outstanding.

There’s a quote for the poster.

• Haha 9

19 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Went over the reactions; more "its ok"s than I expected, I think its impossible for this to not be certified fresh, but I expect it'll have a pretty meh average rating

I don't think any of the live action remakes for Disney has gotten above a medicore reaction from the critics.

But that doe snot matter; audiences love them..though I just cannot understand why.