CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

Age of Ultron was a 1,4B WW  disapointment.

And Civil War could end up being the number 2 movie dom & WW of 2016, doing close to 1,2B WW yet reading people here, I would swear nobody show up to see the movie.

Perspective, it s funny.

P.S : I understand the legs of CW are bizarre given the reception but the same happened to the last Potter movies for example.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, pieman said:

People hated Tomorrowland. I actually think Alice will hold up better in that regard. Families on the weekend might also help more.

I liked tomorrowland, but I get your point.

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Civil War did fine but it's not s Captain America movie 

Not this shit again.  It isn't a straight Captain American movie nor is it an Avengers movie.  It is a Captain America vs. Iron Man movie that you need to watch roughly 6-8 movies prior so you have a clue what is going on.  

That is going to hurt the legs and lead to not traditional drops.  It also was hurt by being the least family friendly MCU movie yet and fairly dour/serious in general.  It is performing exactly as should have been expected.  

The "bad wom" thing is as ridiculous as the "piracy" claims.  They are both extremely lazy and dumb.  

Edited by nilephelan
  • Like 13

Just now, The Futurist said:

Age of Ultron was a 1,4BWW  disapointment.

And Civil could end up being the number 2 movie dom & WW, doing close to 1,2B WW and reading people here, I would say nobody show up to see the movie.

Perspective, it s funny.

Marvels success has made them boring so some people around these parts. The only exciting thing they can do at this point is fail spectracularly, or pull off some Force Awakens type box office run, and frankly neither of those things is happening anytime soon. So painting great numbers as 'somewhat disappointing' is the next best thing. lol

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Not bad per say but I think we can say that the WoM isn't quite as great as some people like to believe it is.

I disagree and so do most of the metrics out there that measure this sort of thing.  What is much more likely is the anecdotal case of when my folks asked me for a movie to go watch this week and asked about Civil War I couldn't recommend they see it.  Told them they would need to watch Cap. 1&2, Avengers, Ultron, Ant-Man and possibly a few Iron Man movies to understand.  

Told them to go see The Nice Guys or Money Monster instead.

5 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Not this shit again.  It isn't a straight Captain American movie nor is it an Avengers movie.  It is a Captain America vs. Iron Man movie that you need to watch roughly 6-8 movies prior so you have a clue what is going on.  

That is going to hurt the legs and lead to not traditional drops.  It also was hurt by being the least family friendly MCU movie yet and fairly dour/serious in general.  It is performing exactly as should have been expected.  

The "bad wom" thing is as ridiculous as the "piracy" claims.  They are both extremely lazy and dumb.  

Ok ok but people weren't saying this before it came out 

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but this is a valuable forum that operates much better when everyone as a group is using their collective brain to properly analyze box office results and trends and not this "LOL the legs were a joke and other than fanboys it had bad WOM!!" type of bullshit.  That is simply lazy and dumb.  Be better than that people.  

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

I disagree and so do most of the metrics out there that measure this sort of thing.  What is much more likely is the anecdotal case of when my folks asked me for a movie to go watch this week and asked about Civil War I couldn't recommend they see it.  Told them they would need to watch Cap. 1&2, Avengers, Ultron, Ant-Man and possibly a few Iron Man movies to understand.  

Told them to go see The Nice Guys or Money Monster instead.

While I pretty much agree, I think only Winter Soldier and Ultron are essential before seeing Civil War. But, yeah, not buying the bad WOM. I don't think X2 or the frontloaded Potter flicks had bogus WOM. It's a very lazy claim and essentially made to bait posters.

• Like 3

As silly as it is to call CW's 1.1b+ disappointing, the silliness is tolerable.

But calling AOU's 1.4b a disappointment is an absurd and kalogical opinion.

• Like 3

Next year, Nolan will show all these 2016 summer blockbusters how legs are done.

After it disappoints with a 25-30m OW 

:sadben:

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 7

19 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Next year, Nolan will show all these 2016 summer blockbusters how legs are done.

Reveal hidden contents

Nah, Harry Styles secures the 90m OW for Dunkirk IMO, it is Nolan s masterplan.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Agafin said:

MBFGW2 dropped 75% from the first one. Can Alice match that? Lol, Allegiant and Winter's war drops from their predecessors don't look so bad right now.

75% of ALICE 1 is 83.5m.

TOMORROWLAND did 42.68m/93.44m. That's 2.19x.

But TOMORROWLAND had 0.75m previews compared to ALICE 2's 1.5m.

So 2.19x off the 4-day could be tough for ALICE 2.

Crossing 40m over 4-day itself could be tough due to this sequel front-loading.

38.5m and 2.16x gives 83.2m. So ALICE 2 could fall 75% from ALICE 1.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

75% of ALICE 1 is 83.5m.

TOMORROWLAND did 42.68m/93.44m. That's 2.19x.

But TOMORROWLAND had 0.75m previews compared to ALICE 2's 1.75m.

So 2.19x off the 4-day could be tough for ALICE 2.

Crossing 40m over 4-day itself could be tough due to this sequel front-loading.

38.5m and 2.16x gives 83.2m. So ALICE 2 could fall 75% from ALICE 1.

Always enjoy your number work. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

What are the candidates to beat Civil War in 2016 ?

Star Wars Rogue

Finding Dory

and 

ID4 2 ?

Am I forgetting something ?

Suicide Squad if it gets good reviews.  The Secret Life of Pets or Moana if they massively overperform.  Maybe Fantastic Beasts if nostalgia factor?  Passengers has a possibility to become a Titanic-sized hit, although it's not likely to happen.

That's all I can think of.

Edited by ThatOneGuy
  • Like 1