CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Well, at least FC only did 150M or so. And that movie rocked.

Yeah. And it's understandable to be upset. But, box office performance only matters to the studio and producers. The money a movie makes does not affect the day to day lives of fans.

Edited by superweirdo87
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, superweirdo87 said:

Yeah. And it's understandable to be upset. But, box office performance only matters to the studio and producers. The money a movie makes does not affect the day to day lives of fans.

It does if you enjoy the films and want more of them.  For example, even if I don't care for X-Men: Apocalypse, I still enjoyed the hell out of X2, First Class and Days of Future Past. I want more of these.  I don't know if this will be a franchise killer but as I said earlier, I think we'll see Deadpool moved into the lead role moving forward with these properties.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

So piracy was just invented this year?  Holy shit!!!!

And I'll take your bet.  You're saying that for the three day Memorial weekend, CW is going to drop more than 53.4%?  You can keep your Fandango card, whatever that is.  Let's just keep it at a $10 donation, unless you are feeling good about making it $20.00 since no one else is taking your bet

Thought you had the bet sewn up? Was a little worried myself but would not concede til more numbers came in.

You spoke too soon.:locked:

Fourth place belongs to Disney/Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War which made $5.4M on Saturday, +32% over Friday for a fourth frame of $14.1M, -57%, 4-day of $18M and a running cume by the end of Monday of $375.5M.

CA3 can't have a better than 50% hold with a holiday boost and openers under performing. It's almost as bad as BvS.

I called under 400m as a possibility on its second weekend. 

Most thought this movie was over 450 after its first Monday. Most thought over 425m after the second weekend and fatigue was the factor, and that could be partly to blame. But this is falling out of bed like BvS. It can only be one thing, aye matey! #hahahahaha

Under 400m happening. Fudge or no fudge.:locked:

Have a nice day!

The most shocking part is that Civil War's Memorial Day inflated 4th weekend looks like it will end up lower than Winter Soldier's normal 4th weekend of 16.2M. It can't seem to buy a good hold so far. The only day when numbers exceeded expectations was the first Tuesday.

• Like 5

Man what a terrible MD weekend. 

Gonna be interesting to see how Fox reacts to this OW. Having Deadpool will help but they can't just plug him into EVERYTHING and expect the fans to come roaring back each time. 

Minot surprised by Alice's box office. 

I'm a little baffled by CWs run. I thought it would hold a little better than that, to be honest. It's better than AOU and should have, at the least, matched that movies DOM gross. 

• Like 1

Kind of sad that X-Men is crumbling. Despite its flaws, I enjoyed it more than DoFP because Singer finally embraced the more comic book-y aspects of the series.

Hilariously, I found Alice 2 to be ever so slightly better than Alice 1 too. Even tho that's like saying a 5.5/10 movie is better than a 5.2/10 movie.

• Like 2

Gonna be interesting to see how Fox reacts to this OW. Having Deadpool will help but they can't just plug him into EVERYTHING and expect the fans to come roaring back each time

As long as FOX keeps Deadpool exclusive to the solo Deadpool movies and the X-Force movies, it should be fine. They just need to avoid overexposure.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Alice 2 UNDER Tomorrowland OW. Yikes!

Tomorrowland isn't a movie Alice wanted to be compared to!

Tomorrowland 3 day OW: 33,028,165

Alice 2 4 day (projected): 34m - 34.5m

I'm not sayin', but I might be sayin'...

• Like 3

lol the theater I saw X-Men tonight had like 10 people in it so not surprised at these numbers. Give it to someone else who can do it justice man.

It will not hold up going forward. I doubt it's going to have good WOM either.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Blackout said:

it's time for Fox and Disney to work together and give us their adaptation of Avengers Vs X-Men

Fox seems to have a weak relationship with Marvel. There are not any reports that they were doing a Sony-style deal on Fantastic Four or selling back those rights. It would also be tricky to introduce mutants into the MCU. I would be open to it if Feige could work it out.

• Like 1