CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

The recent trailer had me dying, but everything about the marketing side just seems off.

Why did everything seem so secretive? Lonely Island don't have the fanbase big enough for them to just drop a teaser trailer for a movie nobody knew was even shot. 

The thing didn't have a title, a plot synopsis, or anything for months. The whole thing just seems surreal. They set The movie up for failure.

They even scheduled it originally as "Top secret lonely island project". No idea why they thought Lonely Island are any of the kind of box office juggernauts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SWXII said:

I never called the rabbit crooked. :redcapes:

Never claimed you did. ;)  

You are the one that implied that Jungle Book passing Zootopia box office wise was much like something else though.  I felt the analogy was..... lacking.  Nothing more, nothing less. :)

Hell, I never even got into the qualites of the two "movies" or even implied which "movie" I thought was better. :P

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Popstar looks like it should've gone straight to YouTube. Which is where most people will end up seeing, anyway.

I think the only movie so far that can claim they went straight to youtube is The Interview :lol: 

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

They even scheduled it originally as "Top secret lonely island project". No idea why they thought Lonely Island are any of the kind of box office juggernauts.

This has been happening in the music industry too. After Beyonce released an album out of nowhere and got huge sales some other artists started doing it too with albums and singles. You can pretty much guess what happened.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AJG said:

This has been happening in the music industry too. After Beyonce released an album out of nowhere and got huge sales some other artists started doing it too with albums and singles. You can pretty much guess what happened.

louis ck tried this shit with his Horace and Pete tv show. dropped it on his website without any warning. now he's apparently millions in debt. oops.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also, someone asked me for a ticket to "Alice and the Looking Glasses" today.

nothing will ever beat the time a dude asked me for a The Martian ticket by saying, "Maaattt Daaaaaamon" (to which i ofc replied, "Maaatt Daaaaaamon")

• Like 5

My estimates for how I think each movie in June will perform as demonstrated by emojis.

TMNT 2 ^_^

Popstar :stretcher:

Me Before You :mellow:

The Conjuring 2 B)

Warcraft :rotfl:

Now You See Me 2 :sadben:

Central Intelligence :mouthdropped:

Finding Dory :excited:

Free State of Jones :sadno:

Independence Day Resurgence :bop:

• Like 2

I do think that piracy hurt Civil War in the end. I thought it would have held up much better then this. That copy definitely stopped many people from going to see it again when it was supposed to have great replay value.

I don't think Suicide Squad is going to suffer from this fatigue (if there is any) due to the way it's being marketed. People would love another Deadpool.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I suppose there was really no way for 4 big CBMs to open within 3 months without big genre fatigue. And Apocalypse unfortunately turned out to be a bad combo of lackluster quality and coming at the end of the genres onslaught. I feel pretty dumb in hindsight for thinking Apocalypse ever stood a chance of DOFPs success, though I never saw the lackluster quality part coming.

At any rate, June feels like it could be really rough now. Hopefully Dory doesn't disappoint, but either way Im thinking more and more July and August will carry this summer with big breakouts from the likes of Pets, Ghostbusters, Bourne, and Suicide Squad. 

That's what i was thinking as well. July looks like the most balanced month of the summer.

I'm thinking early June we'll see a bunch of flops until Dory/Central Intelligence/IDR comes out.

July 1-Tarzan/ The BFG/ The Purge 3/The Shallows - This is probably the only meh weekend. ID and Dory should still be ruling the roost but Purge 3/Shallows will both find horror audiences. 

July 8- Secret Life of Pets should do atleast Lorax numbers, Mike and Dave has two appealing stars (Zac Efron/Anna Kendrick) the trailers haven't been that great but i think their combined fanbase shows out for it.

July 15- Ghostbusters/ The Infiltrator- I think there is enough curiosity on Ghostbusters (good and bad)  to produce a big opening weekend, legs depend on WOM. 

July 19-Ice Age: Collison Course/ Lights Out/Star Trek Beyond- The second trailer for Star Trek  Beyond was received better than the first, and space/adventure movies are popular right now. Lights Out is another low budget horror film and should do well enough to make a profit. Ice Age is probably the only under-performing film this weekend. 

July 29- Jason Bourne/ Bad Moms/Nerve- Jason Bourne is one of the most anticipated summer films I think it does huge numbers. Bad Moms is going to appeal to women and adults, it's another original comedy that I think does well. Nerve is a non factor.

August really only has Suicide Squad. Unless Pete's Dragon/Sausage Party breaks out, or one of the several adult skewing dramas (The Founder, Florence Foster Jenkins, Hands of Stone, etc) I wouldn't bet on a high grossing month. So it's really late June/July that's going to carry this summer.

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

I do think that piracy hurt Civil War in the end. I thought it would have held up much better then this. That copy definitely stopped many people from going to see it again when it was supposed to have great replay value.

I don't think Suicide Squad is going to suffer from this fatigue (if there is any) due to the way it's being marketed. People would love another Deadpool.

Is Suicide Squad another Deadpool though? Just because it has a few jokes in the trailers doesn't mean it's Deadpool. Nor does it have that R-rating that would allow it to get away with some things. Nor can it market itself the way Deadpool marketed himself. Deadpool's BluRay marketing was better than some movies marketing period. I personally think Suicide Squad is going to underperform people's expectations on here and the talk of super hero fatigue is going to continue. 

• Like 3