CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

1 minute ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

When I worked at an IMAX theaters movies would play for around 2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were they film back then? I could see them moving to faster turnover rates with the move to digital.

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I expect Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will get an IMAX release at the 11th hour.

The ultimate twist will happen: Apocalypse has pretty much ended his IMAX OS run because of Alice 2 by now and the copies are available. I can see FOX releasing the IMAX version this weekend in America if Paramount doesn't fast track TMNT2 into the format. 

1 hour ago, Cochofles said:

Another winner!

I understand that there are certain technical guidelines that are generally agreed on as far as writing scripts (structure, climax, denouement, etc.), but the reality is that "a good script" is such an elusive, subjective notion, that people truly forget that nobody really has a formula to what that comprises in terms of structure, content, and all that good stuff.

It's definitely not a magic process or some sort of formulaic thing that leads to a good script (whatever that is).

And even after that "good script" is attained, there is absolutely no guarantee that audiences will respond to it and embrace the film.

And a good script can turn into a disaster of a movie... and I guess vice verca.

Edit : I mean that a script can look good on paper and look like trash once the film is filmed and edited.

Edited by RascarCapat
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Just WB went all like "Show Tarzan or you don't get Batman v Superman or Fantastic Beasts!". 

Do we know how well Fantastic Beasts might perform? A Harry Potter movie that has no Harry Potter probably won't do very well imo. 

7 minutes ago, Star Lord said:

Do we know how well Fantastic Beasts might perform? A Harry Potter movie that has no Harry Potter probably won't do very well imo. 

Like a lot of other franchises it's fanbase will refuse to let it die out so I'm imagining it will end up doing fairly well. Not HP well but decent enough.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Star Lord said:

I think it's a lock for $200M dom, personally.

17 minutes ago, Star Lord said:

I don't like the Potter films. Never saw them in theaters. Binge watched them one weekend. I might actually see this one. It actually looks interesting. I'm thinking it might draw a older crowd, in addition to the Potter fans. 

23 minutes ago, Star Lord said:

It will do well. I think enough of the HP fan base will show up to make a hit. 

My wife really enjoyed the HP movies but she didn't know this was coming out until she saw the trailer in front of CW. Now she's looking forward to seeing it lol

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will make over a billion. The Avengers with Thanos will make over a billion. The rest will do very well also. I'm more interested to see what will happen once the Thanos saga is completed. That's where it's going to be difficult to keep people giving a shit.  Plus, Downey might be gone by then too.  And others. Will a new cast of characters see the same success? Downey as Iron Man..  I mean everyone can talk about Disney and their marketing and all this shit but Downey as Iron Man is the main draw.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I think audiences prefer the old X men cast

Maybe instead of Avengers the damn thing they should have done a real sequel to First Class and see how it did instead of what we got, a 3D inflated event movie in the X-Men franchise that crossover both casts, something we never saw before in the superhero universe, that was meant to have the same effect on the new cast that Avengers had on Captain America and Thor. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The drops look realistic to be honest. I think 79M in the end.

Hmmmmm. Whatever, I actually want FOX to fudge it and keep it above 80M.

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Hmmmmm. Whatever, I actually want FOX to fudge it and keep it above 80M.

Sunday was kind to movies (apart from Alice 2), especially since Saturday sucked. The Apocalypse estimates went up 300k, and 21.3% drop on Monday is very realistic, I can see it coming in above 80M for sure as well.