CJohn

MEH-MORIAL DAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE | Abandon all hope, the box office is dead. 3 day weekend #s X-Men 65M, Alice 28.1M, Angry Birds 18.7M, Civil War 15.1M, Neighbors 9.1M. Bad openings, horrible holdovers.

Just now, Life goes on said:

Thanks, i don't have a spam account. I'm often visiting this forum if some interesting films are released. It's fun reading the conversations between the members and the information on this forum is pretty good.

And BTW BKB is a fun guy....he should be MODERATOR!!!!

• X-Men: Apocalypse will do less than half of Deadpool DOM.
  • Alice Through The Looking Glass will probably do less than Tomorrowland, finishing nearly 250M below the original Alice.
  • Batman V Superman and Civil War will both do less than Iron Man 3.
  • Kung Fu Panda 3, despite the massive China market growth, will make less money than either one of the others.
  • Zootopia will top a billion dollars (and The Jungle Book will get there too).

Said no one ever before this year. Pure batshit insanity.

• Like 8

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:
  • Alice Through The Looking Glass will probably do less than Tomorrowland, finishing nearly 250M below the original Alice.
  • Kung Fu Panda 3, despite the massive China market growth, will make less money than either one of the others.

This would've been the perfect opportunity for an updated "sexy legs" post.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I don't think you can really blame Depp for this.

When was the last time Depp had a hit?

Currently, the only hita he is being associated are the ones he probably handed his wife.

• Like 2

Well, at least X-Men will break into the top 10 WW when OS numbers are finally posted (as will Angry Birds, most likely). Disney having the top 3 all to themselves, The Mermaid at over 550M+, London Has Fallen holding its ass up there w/just under 200M... all a sight to behold.

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Good summary, I considered KFP3 a billion dollar candidate likely to do 350M in China alone, never had I thought it would do less globally than KFP1 and 2.

Will TJB really make it there?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, superweirdo87 said:

Yeah. And it's understandable to be upset. But, box office performance only matters to the studio and producers. The money a movie makes does not affect the day to day lives of fans.

Well you have to understand  that fans worry about sequels and in the case of TV shows further seasons.  That's the only reason to care when you're not a shareholder.  Fox-men fans need not worry though. They'll be making these films every 5 years for the next 30 years to keep it out of Disney's  hands. 

Edited by eddyxx

4 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Good summary, I considered KFP3 a billion dollar candidate likely to do 350M in China alone, never had I thought it would do less globally than KFP1 and 2.

Will TJB really make it there?

It will. It's already at 877M WW, and it hasn't even opened in Japan and South Korea yet. The only problems it might face are Dory and Warcraft, but even still, it'll slowly make it.

• Like 1

Thing is CW will likely finsh around 1.16 billion WW

Which would have been a great result if it was not for its massive huge openings. 

With how it opened it should have beat IM3 WW easily 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Yes. He was saying how it was going to be a big opening and pacing ahead of last year. 

Fanboy disillusionment.  

Box Office Walla at it again. Smoking the hopium!

You should go easy on the slurs.

22 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I have to disagree about the Civil War under IM3 bullet point. Before the year began, most people never thought that Civil War would gross over $400M. There was a huge debate as to whether Civil War would gross over $300M. The general consensus for Civil War didn't change until around the middle of April.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ent said:

I think Apocalypse behaves in line with the Xmen rebooted franchise numbers.  

First Class didn't set the BO on fire and like most reboots decreased from the original franchise featuring the beloved old cast.

If DOFP wasn't set as an event movie reuniting the old cast with the new one, maybe this trend would have already started right after First Class, just like the Wolverine diminished from Origins.

DOFP clearly added a significant amount of additional viewers because it was an event movie and it was the last occasion seeing the old cast again.

Now we are back to the usual business, around First Class or declining from it with potential incremental increase from the overseas markets thanks mainly to the ever explanding markets.

Yeah, Apocalypse also lacked a compelling hook and it had weak reviews. Given Fox has to make these every so often, it needs to take some time and make big adjustments.