La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

Friday AM Update: Thursday night preshow results are in and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows lead the way with a soft $2 million compared to the $4.6 million the first Turtles feature brought in from preview screenings in August 2014. A good comparison would be 2014's Hercules, which brought in $2.1 million before opening with $29.8 million. Another would be Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials which brought in $1.7 million on Thursday night before delivering a $30.3 million opening last September. 

Warner's Me Before You got off to a solid start, bringing in $1.365 million on Thursday night. Comparisons within the genre are limited with films such as The Longest Ride bringing in $625,000 from Thursday night showings and The Best of Me bringing in $525,000. Perhaps the best comparison is one of the comps used below in our weekend preview, that being If I Stay, which brought in $1.1 million back in August 2014 before opening with $15.6 million, a number that already suggests Me Before You could outperform Mojo's weekend prediction. 

Finally, Universal's Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping brought in $322,000, on par with the likes of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies ($300k) and Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ($300k), which went on to open with $5.3 million and $7.4 million respectively. If you're open to wishful thinking, Horrible Bosses did begin its opening weekend with $365,000 on Thursday night before opening with $28.3 million, but that's not happening with Popstar, though with 78 reviews now counted and the RottenTomatoes score holding at 79% this one could earn strong word of mouth and also perform better than expected.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4192&p=.htm

• Like 1

I guess this is the year of big-budget sequels under-performing. 

Solid numbers for Me Before You, could get to upper teens/low 20s if matinees are good. 

Edited by babz06

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'm fully expecting a sub-$15M opening for Now You See Me 2 next weekend at this point.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I'm fully expecting a sub-$15M opening for Now You See Me 2 next weekend at this point.

:stop:

23 minutes ago, department store basement said:

TMNT: Out of the Shadows joins GI Joe: Retaliation and The Purge: Anarchy as sequels to widely disliked films that are liked much better than the first installments by critics.

Could this help its BO?

Retaliation was liked better by critics?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

If TMNT2 follows the first's OW, it gets to $29.1M for the weekend.

That number would be very close to Allegiant's OW.  While the actual tickets sold number would be different between the two films, since different audiences would be seeing each movie, I can see the weekend results being similar.  That OW would not be what Paramount and Nickelodeon wanted from the Turtles sequel with its budget.