La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm fully expecting a sub-$15M opening for Now You See Me 2 next weekend at this point.

That's just sad. 

What other sequels this year will underperform? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Dory and Independence Day are being positioned to take advantage of a mostly empty marketplace in a few weeks (The Conjuring 2 will likely open very well but will only appeal to a certain demographic).

Yes. So far, the lead-up to these movies is looking exactly like the marketplace leading up to Jurassic World.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Finding Dory is really the only sequel for the remainder of the year that I see with the potential of increasing from its predecessor.

Independence Day? Jason Bourne?

The more I think about it, the lower the opening weekend of TMNT2 will be. $2M starting at 5pm means a 3x drop from the original's $4.6M for the 7pm-midnight period.  Expect the weekend to be around $21-$22M (a third of the original's $65M).

Edited by zenithtim

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Finding Dory is really the only sequel for the remainder of the year that I see with the potential of increasing from its predecessor.

The Purge: Election Year could do it.

I'm actually predicting it to win its weekend, beating BFG.

Edited by department store basement