La Binoche

Weekend #s June 3-5: TMNT2 35.25m, X:A 22.3m, MBY 18.27m, Alice 10.69m, Birds 9.775m

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

As the usher I counted people as they were leaving and took it by the total number of tickets. Exactly 1/3 (exactly) were either still crying leaving or had super red faces from crying.

Were they all women? I think I saw a total of  3 other guys besides me. Really emotionally charged room. I'm hoping Popstar is as fun tomorrow, lol.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Were they all women? I think I saw a total of  3 other guys besides me. Really emotionally charged room. I'm hoping Popstar is as fun tomorrow, lol.

This isn't a stereotype at all but yes everyone who was crying was female.

• Like 1

http://deadline.com/2016/06/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2-me-before-you-pop-star-weekend-box-office-1201766674/

3RD UPDATE, Friday 11:35PM: Refresh for updates. Chart coming Paramount’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows is showing a slight improvement from its original forecast today with an $11.6M Friday and an opening weekend of $31.5M at 4,071 theaters according to industry estimates.

20th Century Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse is down a bit further than we originally thought with $6.4M today and a second weekend of $22M, -67%. Nonetheless, it will cross the century mark for $116.1M by end of Sunday.

In third is MGM/New Line’s Emilia Clarke weepy Me Before You which is outperforming its projections with $7.6M tonight and a $18.4M opening at 2,705 theaters. But that’s not all. CinemaScore audiences gave it string of big sloppy kisses with straight As

Then there’s Universal’s $20M low-budget comedy from the Lonely Island guys, Pop Star: Never Stop Never Stopping which is halting in seventh place with $1.7M on Friday and $4.45M and a B CinemaScore. 

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 2

Per "Deadline," 20th Century Fox’s X-Men: Apocalypse is down a bit further than we originally thought with $6.4M today and a second weekend of $22M, -67%. Nonetheless, it will cross the century mark for $116.1M by end of Sunday.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

The midtier sequels (ala Neighbors 2, TMNT2) might become an endangered species. Audience attention spans are only shrinking more and more.

If N2 had a better premise, it would have matched the first. Having a girl who looks 12 play a sorority leader and being just awfully DTV in its trailers killed any anticipation I had, and it seems most people had for it. If anything we should be grateful for how many people didn't show up, normally the retention is not as bad as this. TMNT2 is the classic crappy family movie sequel that will drop. I had it making just $110m and am happy it has fallen even more. I don't think the legs will be that bad- look at Paul Blart 2 and Alvin and Night at the Museum- but still failing to make $100m is a victory to be cherished. 

6 hours ago, CJohn said:

But how do studios know which sequels are worth it and which sequels are not lol? We got Taken 2 and Taken 3! It is impossible for them to know which sequels will do well and which ones will fail.

Taken was a massive crowdpleaser. It's full potential wasn't realized, but Taken 2 was shit as hell, so it didn't manage to take full advantage. Kind of like Pitch Perfect 2, it fell off very quickly and though the total was impressive, they definitely left money on the table. Taken 3 didn't even make $90m .

By Sunday, Whit Stillman’s Jane Austen adaptation Love & Friendship will be at $6.8M, $400K from topping Barcelona, the director’s highest grossing theatrical release. A24’s The Lobster crawls from 116 theaters to 560, bound to see a 26% hike in its fourth weekend with $949K and a running cume of $3.4M.

ugh, bad for both. esp Lobster 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CJohn said:

Taken was a one-off. A sequel never seemed necessary. But they did one and exploded. Taken 2 had a mixed reception by the crowds. Yet, Taken 3 opened with 40M.

And yes, you are correct, Hangover 2 is the reason we have been getting more and more sequels from comedy breakout hits. 

Nope. There are movies with such good WOM that people want sequels too. Taken was definitely one of those. What could they do with him, no holds barred? But in the end, they did nothing, the movie was a POS that could have been DTV. 

They considered a Ted sequel weeks after the first was a success. I think all movies that do well get consideration, whether it is necessary or not. Frozen is getting a sequel, it sure as hell doesn't need one. It'll still do very well, but it will definitely drop.

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

Movies are dumped in summer all the time. They just usually choose late August to do so.

No, they've left a lot of movies to die all over. 

Normally they know it's a turkey or the reviews are so bad, they just leave it to get pushed out. 

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

Taken had word of mouth bordering on religious, Taken 2 looked like a breakout from the moment the first trailer came out. Taken 3 had a great trailer as well, ending with the "Good Luck." line and a plot which looked different enough. John Wick 2 can pull off a Taken 2 (I think it has a good shot at outgrossing the first movies take on OW alone).

John Wick is not pulling off a Taken 2. No one even saw the first one.

6 hours ago, CJohn said:

What will you see next then? Pets? 

Still disappointed you failed me with Apocalypse :sadben: 

But Taken 2 is a midtier sequel as well. And it exploded. Same with Pitch Perfect. What you are talking about simply doesn't work like that. Alice 2 was a sequel to a MONSTER hit. Yet it also bombed. There is no magic formula.

Taken and Pitch Perfect were really beloved movies. No one really liked Alice. That was evident on its opening weekend when people were already bemused how well it was doing. There is no magic formula, but you're giving a lot of terrible examples.

3 hours ago, The Panda said:

Marketing is important, but Id also agree that if your movie wasn't remembered after it left theaters why would anyone want to see the sequel?

Plus, some of the movies getting sequels are ones the audiences were interested in the premise or something of the first movie (it was something new and a non-sequel) but didn't really care about seeing a repeat of it.

Theres a variety of factors on why sequels are bombing this year left and right, but I also think there's a root problem where the GA is getting sequelitis.  Everything is either a franchise now or trying to start one, so the GA is just either picking things that look fresh and new (or well-reviewed/good WoM like TJB) or some of the core franchises they do care about.

For example, me and some of my friends like to go see Seth Rogen movies.  While we still saw Neighbors 2, it was one we almost passed on because so many sequels feel like more of the same.  

I think we're getting to a point where slapping a 2 on something is getting less and less effective.  The studios need to market their sequels as something unique, and having something new to offer that the last one didn't.

Exactly. 

But honestly, it's not that hard to try to be different. Neighbours is a prime example of extreme complacency, laziness and "cash grabbing". Well, attempted cash grabbing. Nothing to distinguish it from the first, lower production values, just all around unnecessary. Whereas something like 21 Jump Street teased that they would go to college, which is a good enough reinvention, the logical next step for Neighbors was not having a sorority move next door. I don't even know why they made a Horrible Bosses 2. The first didn't even have that great legs or WOM. 

NYSM2 is also a little weird. I think it was generally liked and a sequel could definitely be a lot more interesting but they seem to have failed to be that movie if you believe the reviews, so it's become very pointless. 

It's also difficult to predict movies because of us not knowing the actual quality of the movie. Look at Rise of the Apes for example. Everyone thought it would do badly, but in the end, there were enough Ape fans on OW and because the movie itself was really good, it had longevity. It is indeed a factor. If the Avengers was not good, no matter the $200m OW, it would not have made $600m. So, in that sense, you can't really fault people for inaccurate predictions if the quality of the movie itself is different from the expected quality. There's less excuse for something like Neighbours 2 after seeing the trailer. 

31 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Ouch for X-Men.

:( it is dispiriting. Though, 22M would be similar to what would be expected if the movie had drops like X3, and they both have negative critical response. Both got A- on Cinema Score. Still a bummer for fans.

1). Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (PAR), 4,071 theaters /$11.6M Fri. (includes $2M previews) / 3-day cume: $31.5M/Wk 1

2). X-Men: Apocalypse (FOX), 4,153 theaters / $6.4M Fri. (-76%) / 3-day cume: $22M(-67%) /Total cume:$116.1M/Wk 2

3). Me Before You (MGM/New Line/WB), 2,704 theaters / $7.6M Fri. (includes $1.37M previews) / 3-day cume: $18.4M /Wk 1

4). Alice Through the Looking Glass (Disney), 3,763 theaters (0)/ $3.15M Fri. (-68%) / 3-day cume: $11M (-59%)/Total: $51M/Wk 2

5). The Angry Birds Movie (SONY/ROVIO), 3,484 theaters (-448)/ $2.48M Fri. (-51%) / 3-day cume: $9M (-52%)/Total cume: $85.9M/ Wk 3

6). Captain America: Civil War (Disney), 3,084 theaters (-311) / $2M Fri. (-50%)/ 3-day cume: $7.2M (-53%) /Total cume: $388.5M/ Wk 5

7). Pop Star: Never Stop Never Stopping (UNI), 2,311 theaters / $1.7M Fri. (includes $322k previews) / 3-day cume: $4.45M/Wk 1

8). Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising (UNI), 2,417 theaters (-999)/ $1.39M Fri. (-50%)/ 3-day cume: $4.57M (-51%)/Total cume: $48.4M/ Wk 3

9). The Jungle Book (DIS), 1,990 theaters (-533) / $1.18M Fri. (-34%) / 3-day cume: $4.5M (-36%)/ Total cume: $347.7M / Wk 8

10.) The Nice Guys (WB), 1,888 theaters (-977)/ $833K Fri. (-53%) / 3-day cume: $2.7M (-58%)/Total: $28.3M/ Wk 3

NOTABLES:

Love & Friendship (AMZ/RSA), 819 theaters (+326) / $587k Fri. (-12%) / 3-day cume: $1.9M (-22%) /Total cume: $6.8M/Wk 4

The Lobster (A24), 560 theaters (+444) / $304K Fri. (+40%)/ 3-day cume: $949K (+26%)/Total cume: $3.4M/Wk 4

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Critics seem to enjoy Popstar.

It's too bad it's flopping when it's probably one of the better comedies of the last year or so.

I might check it out next week.

Critics liked Hail Caesar, too, and audiences didn't bite. The ads I've seen didn't show anything funny enough to attract viewers, imo. 

4 minutes ago, Talkie said:

Critics liked Hail Caesar, too, and audiences didn't bite. The ads I've seen didn't show anything funny enough to attract viewers, imo. 

Yeah, the critics aren't always in tune with the public. Heck just  a few weeks ago they loved "the Nice Guys". I saw that one and it was, IMO, long and boring. The masses seem to agree. 

• Like 1

Out Of The Shadows less than half of TMNT '14's OW. Apocalypse's drop nearly as bad as BVS'. Alice 2 nearly at 10M, which is what the 1st almost grossed in its 5th weekend. Popstar a bomb on Young Messiah/Brothers Grimsby proportions.

LEGSTLEMANIA II IS GONNA BE AMAZING, FOLKS.

• Like 1

I still think the most random musical choice in cinema history is "Your the Voice" by John Farnham in the Hot Rod riot scene. 

It makes up for the mediocrity of the rest of the movie.