Dementeleus

Tele's List of 100 Lesser-Known or Under-Appreciated Films Everyone Should See (THE LIST IS COMPLETE! p26)

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Technically the title is "Lesser Known or Under-Appreciated" films not "Watch This Film You've Heard of and Know is Great But Haven't Gotten Around To It Yet, You Heathens." :P

I couldn't fit that in the title area. :lol: 

• Like 2

64. Brother Sun, Sister Moon (1972)

brother-sun-sister-moon-movie-poster-197

written by: Suso Cecchi D’Amico, Kenneth Ross, Lina Wertmuller, Franco Zeffirelli

directed by: Franco Zeffirelli

starring: Graham Faulker, Judi Bowker, Leigh Lawson, Alec Guinness

Synopsis: 

This is a dramatization of events in the life of St. Francis of Assisi from before his conversion experience through his audience with the pope, including his friendship with St. Clare.

Director Franco Zeffirelli came to prominence with his version of ROMEO AND JULIET, which shied away from the practice of using older and more veteran actors in favor of very young ones (though they were much less seasoned). The resulting movie was very effective at portraying the crazy young love that’s at the heart of Shakespeare’s play, something that often was lost in earlier versions (rather hilariously, the 1936 movie version had 46-year-old Leslie Howard playing Romeo!)

So Zeffirelli was part of the youth movement, and wasn’t afraid to shake up the system for his own artistic purposes. He continued this trend with BROTHER SUN, SISTER MOON, a movie that’s fairly dated yet still effective. It’s very much a product of its times, thematically trying to connect some of St. Francis’ preaching to the counter-culture movement of the late ‘60s and early 70s (the movie contains songs and music by Donovan, who might be more well known to kids today for his song “Hurdy Gurdy Man”, used so effectively in ZODIAC).

• Like 2

63. Point Blank (1967)

PointBlank_Ger1.jpg

written by: Alexander Jacobs, David Newhouse & Rafe Newhouse, based on the novel by Donald E. Westlake

directed by: John Boorman

starring: Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson

Synopsis: 

After being double-crossed and left for dead, a mysterious man named Walker single-mindedly tries to retrieve the rather inconsequential sum of money that was stolen from him.

A gritty (for the time) crime thriller about a no-nonsense hitman determined to get the money he’s owed, this story was adapted more recently by Brian Helgeland and Mel Gibson in PAYBACK. But Lee Marvin’s the original cool customer, and pretty badass in his own right. John Boorman was part of the new youth era of filmmaking that emphasized realism, location shooting, more violence and sex, more nihilism — a reaction and reaction to what was happening in the real world. Boorman went on to direct one of the biggest hits of the 1970s, DELIVERANCE, as well as one of the decade’s most infamous flops, ZARDOZ.

• Like 7

62. A Man Escaped (1957)

ManEscaped_French_GGN.jpg?1325863673

written and directed by: Robert Bresson (from a memoir by Andre Devigny)

starring: François Leterrier

Synopsis: 

Captured French Resistance fighter Fontaine awaits a certain death sentence for espionage in a stark Nazi prison. Facing malnourishment and paralyzing fear, he must engineer an extraordinary escape, complicated by the questions of whom to trust, and in the absence of options, how to kill?

Bresson is known for his minimalism, his rejection of melodrama, his sparing use of music, and (when adapting true life stories) his effort to stick to actual events, instead of inventing or elaborating. All of these are on full display in one of his most famous (and most influential) movies, A MAN ESCAPED. This is basically the originator of the prison break movie as we now know it. 

Stuck in a Nazi prison, threatened with possible execution, Fontaine decides to find a way to escape, and the movie (featuring a ton of narration) steps through his careful process: how to find a tool to break through the door or wall, how to find his on-going efforts, how to make rope, how to plan his escape route, and the notable complications that continue to arise.

• Like 5

61. Breaking Away (1979)

breaking-away_1399332482.jpg

written by: Steve Tesich

directed by: Peter Yates

starring: Dennis Christopher, Dennis Quaid, Daniel Stern, Jackie Earle Haley

Synopsis: 

A small-town boy obsessed with the Italian cycling team vies for the affections of a college girl.

This is a beautiful, funny, and clever sports movie that — along with Rocky — helped set the tone for most modern sports dramas. And it’s a movie that features many familiar (and young!) faces: three of the four main stars went on to fame and fortune on various levels (though it took Jackie Earle Haley until recently to become well-known).

Dennis Christopher plays Dave, a teenager living in Indiana who’s obsessed with all things Italian and the Italian cycling team specifically. He teaches himself Italian, he gives himself an Italian name, he tries to eat Italian food — his mother thinks it’s sweet but it’s confusing and annoying as hell for his father, a simple American with no pretensions or interest beyond the borders of his town.

Dave is also one hell of a cyclist, and when he’s not hanging out with his three townie buddies (Quaid’s the ex-quarterback, Haley’s the trouble-maker, and Stern’s the nice nerd), Dave wants to race… especially when he hears the Italian team’s gonna be in Indianapolis for an upcoming race.

Behind the basic thrust of this sports drama is the theme of late teen-dom: do you go to college? should you try to get a job? should you resist what society (and/or your parents) tell you to do? what about love? and dating? and friends who might be drifting away from you? The warmth and unforced realism in the answers the movie provides is what gives it its real staying power. What a great movie.

@Jeff Goldblank @CoolEric258 @Ethan Hunt @DAJK

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Telemachos said:

63. Point Blank (1967)

PointBlank_Ger1.jpg

written by: Alexander Jacobs, David Newhouse & Rafe Newhouse, based on the novel by Donald E. Westlake

directed by: John Boorman

starring: Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson

Synopsis: 

After being double-crossed and left for dead, a mysterious man named Walker single-mindedly tries to retrieve the rather inconsequential sum of money that was stolen from him.

A gritty (for the time) crime thriller about a no-nonsense hitman determined to get the money he’s owed, this story was adapted more recently by Brian Helgeland and Mel Gibson in PAYBACK. But Lee Marvin’s the original cool customer, and pretty badass in his own right. John Boorman was part of the new youth era of filmmaking that emphasized realism, location shooting, more violence and sex, more nihilism — a reaction and reaction to what was happening in the real world. Boorman went on to direct one of the biggest hits of the 1970s, DELIVERANCE, as well as one of the decade’s most infamous flops, ZARDOZ.

YESYESYESYES

• Like 1

You're killing me here Tele.....I haven't seen any of the last five films.  I really need to see Point Blank and Breaking Away.  I had no idea Jackie Earl Haley had a career that spanned that long.

• Like 2

I LOVE Breaking Away.  GREAT film.  It was in my Top 100.  It's my favorite "coming of age movie".

Ebert's review from 37 years ago - the more things change.... :lol:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/breaking-away-1979

"Breaking Away" is a wonderfully sunny, funny, goofy, intelligent movie that makes you feel about as good as any movie in a long time. It is, in fact, a treasure -- which is why it's in half as many theaters as trash like "Bloodline." Exhibitors are scared to death of offbeat, original movies; they'll play it safe with sleaze every time. But audiences are discovering "Breaking Away" (the studio has been sneak-previewing it for months), and they love it.

No wonder. In a summer of big-budget movies that are insults to the intelligence, here's a little film about coming of age in Bloomington, Ind. It's about four local kids, just out of high school, who mess around for one final summer before facing the inexorable choices of jobs or college or the Army. One of the kids, Dave (Dennis Christopher), has it in his head that he wants to be a champion Italian bicycle racer, and he drives his father crazy with opera records and ersatz Italian.

• Like 2

60. Big Wednesday (1978)

big-wednesday.jpg

written by: John Milius, Dennis Aaberg

directed by: John Milius

starring: Jan-Michael Vincent, William Katt, Gary Busey

Synopsis: 

The lives of some California surfers from the early '60s to the '70s.

Another coming-of-age story, this one focusing on Southern California and three teens who’re avid surfers. They transition to adulthood through the backdrop of surfing, parties, the Vietnam War, and marriage.

The story is loosely autobiographical, based on Milius’ and Faberge’s own experiences growing up in Southern California. All three of its young actors were stars-in-the-making, though tragically Jan-Michael Vincent ruined his career and life through heavy substance abuse when AIRWOLF was a huge hit, and of course Gary Busey suffered the same much later in his own life.

A bit of trivia: Milius was good friends with Spielberg and Lucas, and during the production the three of them agreed to exchange a percentage point of BIG WEDNESDAY, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, and STAR WARS, since all three movies were being released within a year of each other. Spielberg was convinced BIG WEDNESDAY was gonna be a huge hit. It wasn’t. :lol: 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Telemachos said:

I love your reply because IMO that's the whole reason to do these lists... not just mine, obviously, but all the others that happen. It's like Apple Music for movies, or something -- a curated list by a person with particular tastes, and you can pick and choose as you like, depending on your own preferences. I like this much more than just a generalized group judgement -- there are more interesting outliers.

You fool! The whole point of these things is to get likes.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Baumer said:

Yep, plenty I haven't seen now.  Most of them are films before 1970 of course.  I haven't even heard of a couple of the films mentioned here. 

As for The Brood, Cronenberg is an absolute beast in the 70's and 80's.  The Brood is intense and gory...two of his trademarks.  Sorry to do this again, but I'm sure Tele won't mind if I pimp some of my work out again.

Check out my top ten Canadian horror films, and then check the site for top ten horror films from other countries....it's a pretty cool feature on the other site I frequent.

http://www.top10films.co.uk/archives/24854

Love Top Secret as well...I'm loving all of your choices so far Chris.  I will definitely try to find some of these.

Great list, baumer. Bloody Valentine is one of my favorite horror films as well.

• Like 2