WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 50): The Conjuring 40.3M | Warcraft 24M | NYSM 23M| TMNT 14.8M | X-Men 10M | Me Before You 9.2M

Just now, CJohn said:

It is what some members are saying in the China. Most are also saying it will fail to top Zootopia there (235M total). 

Missing 150m is impossible hahah it grossed like 32m yesterday, even if does 32m in the next 2 days it crosses 150m with ease. Even if that happens its gonna have a 1.55 multiplier? 

If Warcraft is as big as everyone says won't repeat viewing be more a thing than ever for american blockbuster? Fast 7 got a 2x and PR got like 2.4 there (not sure how many days there opening was)

I find the China overreaction incredibly funny. Like, the drop is actually a bit better than No Prisoners predicted yesterday, yet everyone is losing their minds. That 216m number is still huge and after two almost record breaking days (the only movie with two 300m yuan days) it is bound to have burned off some demand. And to quote No Prisoners again:

Even if it drops hard on sat 35% and sun 50%, it'll get to ¥1.025B/ $156m.

And after that, it wound need a horrendous multiplier not to reach Zootopia... I mean, I love the guys in the China thread, but the rollercoaster is the same as the one we have every time when there's a big opener state side. Huge expectations, then meltdowns, then hope, then meltdowns again and in the end acceptance. 

• Like 5

Just now, Jay Hollywood said:

LOL remember a week ago when X-men would be lucky to do 60m? yeah its crossing 100m 

its holding on really well, 98M currently and plenty more left in the tank. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

its holding on really well, 98M currently and plenty more left in the tank. :rolleyes:

And me gusta that. I will also like if Warcraft crosses the 300M there. But for now I shall set up my expectations in the 250M for Warcraft. Expecting X-Men to reach DoFP in total right now is also what I hope. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, James said:

On a more important topic, do we have an UEFA Euro 2016 thread? Romania - France match just began:ohmyzod:

I KNOW I AM ALSO WATCHING :ohmyzod:

• Like 3

With WC in China it is important to keep in mind that multiplier off the 5-day OW is not comparable to multiplier off 3-day OWs for other movies. Especially when the 1st 2 days are the biggest. Take a movie like TF2 in Dom market : 5-day 200m, Dom 402m.

5-Day & 3-Day multiplier is a completely different beast. 1.5x off the 5-day would be decent for WC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Treecraft said:

Anyway I don't care, I have seen it twice, and will see it several times more, don't even have to pay so who's the dumbass now?

Completely beside the point, but I wonder if you or @antovolk or anyone familiar with UK theaters knows this: how do these monthly passes work in terms of box-office reporting? They're obviously revenue for the theater. Each time a ticket is acquired, do they basically report the value of that ticket back to the distributor?

I KNOW I AM ALSO WATCHING :ohmyzod:

This is the year of CR7. In last EC he singlehandedly carried Portugal nearly all the way. They came so close against the superior spanish team.

Sorry off-topic :/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Completely beside the point, but I wonder if you or @antovolk or anyone familiar with UK theaters knows this: how do these monthly passes work in terms of box-office reporting? They're obviously revenue for the theater. Each time a ticket is acquired, do they basically report the value of that ticket back to the distributor?

Yeah, the tickets are given a value (significantly lower than a standard ticket) and that value is reported to the distributors and then cut back to the cinema; but it's a value that the customer doesn't have to pay.

So, e.g. at the cinema I worked at:

From internal point of view:

Adult ticket: £10. Customer is charged full £10, is reported as £10 revenue.

Child ticket: £6. Customer is charged full £6, is reported as £6 revenue.

Unlimited ticket: £3. Customer is charged £0, is reported as £3 revenue.

And then the cut the cinema gets is taken from the overall revenues. So if the distributor takes 2/3 of revenue, then for every Unlimited ticket booked, the customer pays £0, the distributor gets £2. The customer just pays their £17 monthly subscription, which goes straight into the cinema's pocket.

• Like 2

Oh, @Telemachos it's also worth mentioning that the internal price of a ticket is negotiated with by the distributor. Generally the cinema has pretty much free reign to price tickets how they like, but with these, distributors have more control. E.g. at my cinema, Unlimited tickets for Sony movies were £4.50, while Warner Bros and Disney were lower at £3. Think there was one that was lower, but it was generally £3-4.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Treecraft said:

Oh, @Telemachos it's also worth mentioning that the internal price of a ticket is negotiated with by the distributor. Generally the cinema has pretty much free reign to price tickets how they like, but with these, distributors have more control. E.g. at my cinema, Unlimited tickets for Sony movies were £4.50, while Warner Bros and Disney were lower at £3. Think there was one that was lower, but it was generally £3-4.

Are IMAX, PLF, or 3D included in the passes? Or is there a surcharge?

Edited by Jayhawk

@Treecraft I've never played World of Warcraft, sampled DotA, and began my Blizzard experience w/ Warcraft 2 (for one day till I found out the school labs had Starcraft). I will support this movie! I want a Starcraft movie not named Starship Trooper, damnit! 

@maryksingerHorror movies do nothing for me, but my wife loves them, so I'll support Conjuring 2! And, later this summer, I'll come back for Lights Out! 3-0 on Rotten Tomatoes so far!

@Ethan Hunt I think you're the only one predicting NYSM2 as the winner, and out of all of these movies, it's the one I think will be best, so I'll support this movie!

• Like 2