WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 50): The Conjuring 40.3M | Warcraft 24M | NYSM 23M| TMNT 14.8M | X-Men 10M | Me Before You 9.2M

1 minute ago, department store basement said:

At the grocery store. There's a rack with movies on sale for 5.99 (Dragonheart, RIPD, Tremors, Oblivion, 12 Monkeys, Serenity, and Waterworld). Each movie includes a sticker that redeems up to 8 dollars for a Warcraft ticket.

Universal is desperate huh?

Lol at Universal using RIPD as a selling point for Warcraft. Desperate? More like they really don't want anyone watching Warcraft. 

http://deadline.com/2016/06/warcraft-conjuring-2-now-you-see-me-2-weekend-box-office-1201770307/

3rd UPDATE, Friday, 10:17PM: Sequelitis isn’t as severe as we’ve seen in recent weekends with the openings of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 and Alice Through the Looking Glass off significantly from their first chapters. Warner Bros./New Line’s Conjuring 2 is beating its projections from earlier in the week with a No. 1 take of $37.1M at 3,343 theaters. It’s down 11% from its 2013 predecessor’s $41.9M opening. That’s one of the better holds for a sequel this year, on par with the sequel percentage holds of X-Men: Apocalypse and Kung Fu Panda 3.

Even though it’s set to rank third, Lionsgate’s Now You See Me 2‘s  current estimated $22.3M opening isn’t that bad either, just -24% off from the $29.4M debut of its first movie. Word of mouth remains strong for both titles. Like their 2013 versions, both Conjuring 2 and Now You See Me 2 received A- CinemaScores tonight.

Now You See Me 2 cost between $90M-$100M before P&A, which is 25%-plus higher than Now You See Me. Lionsgate committed its heart and soul to this heist film, which perplexes some rival chiefs since it’s not seen as a huge brand in the Hunger Games or Twilight sense of the word. The distributor has already announced a third movie with the sequel’s Jon M. Chu as director. Lionsgate made Now You See Me 2 a huge focal point at its CinemaCon presentation with David Copperfield performing tricks before a screening which was suddenly evacuated after a suspicious item was found at Caesars Palace Colosseum theater. Luckily it doesn’t appear that episode has haunted Now You See Me 2 like a hex mark.

Conjuring director James Wan is a master auteur for genre aficionados, having crafted a ghostbuster sequel that’s every bit as good as the original. The 2013 movie cost $19.5M to make, and yielded a worldwide gross of $318M and a profit after TV/pay-cable and home entertainment revenues of $161M-plus. The R-rated sequel comes with a production cost of $40M and a I hear it has a thrifty stateside P&A in the low $30M range as New Line knows exactly how to reach horror fans. Conjuring 2 premiered recently at the Los Angeles Film Festival.

Warcraft‘s industry forecasts have simmered down from their mid-day hype to an estimated $26.4M opening weekend in second place, which indicates that advance ticket sales combined with a decent $3.1M Thursday were throwing estimates upward earlier. The Duncan Jones-directed movie is looking at an $11M Friday, an $8.8M Saturday and $8.3M Sunday. In sum, it’s front-loaded, just like Conjuring 2. CinemaScore crowds gave Warcraft a B+, which beats the grades of such video game movies (and their sequels) like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and Hitman. While Rotten Tomatoes has caused a number of distribution executives to lose their hair as their scores increasingly put a damper on ticket sales, one non-Uni executive asserts that Warcraft is critic-proof and won’t be dinged by its 27% rotten score.

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

4 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

http://deadline.com/2016/06/warcraft-conjuring-2-now-you-see-me-2-weekend-box-office-1201770307/

3rd UPDATE, Friday, 10:17PM: Sequelitis isn’t as severe as we’ve seen in recent weekends with the openings of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 and Alice Through the Looking Glass off significantly from their first chapters. Warner Bros./New Line’s Conjuring 2 is beating its projections from earlier in the week with a No. 1 take of $37.1M at 3,343 theaters. It’s down 11% from its 2013 predecessor’s $41.9M opening. That’s one of the better holds for a sequel this year, on par with the sequel percentage holds of X-Men: Apocalypse and Kung Fu Panda 3.

Even though it’s set to rank third, Lionsgate’s Now You See Me 2‘s  current estimated $22.3M opening isn’t that bad either, just -24% off from the $29.4M debut of its first movie. Word of mouth remains strong for both titles. Like their 2013 versions, both Conjuring 2 and Now You See Me 2 received A- CinemaScores tonight.

Now You See Me 2 cost between $90M-$100M before P&A, which is 25%-plus higher than Now You See Me. Lionsgate committed its heart and soul to this heist film, which perplexes some rival chiefs since it’s not seen as a huge brand in the Hunger Games or Twilight sense of the word. The distributor has already announced a third movie with the sequel’s Jon M. Chu as director. Lionsgate made Now You See Me 2 a huge focal point at its CinemaCon presentation with David Copperfield performing tricks before a screening which was suddenly evacuated after a suspicious item was found at Caesars Palace Colosseum theater. Luckily it doesn’t appear that episode has haunted Now You See Me 2 like a hex mark.

Conjuring director James Wan is a master auteur for genre aficionados, having crafted a ghostbuster sequel that’s every bit as good as the original. The 2013 movie cost $19.5M to make, and yielded a worldwide gross of $318M and a profit after TV/pay-cable and home entertainment revenues of $161M-plus. The R-rated sequel comes with a production cost of $40M and a I hear it has a thrifty stateside P&A in the low $30M range as New Line knows exactly how to reach horror fans. Conjuring 2 premiered recently at the Los Angeles Film Festival.

Warcraft‘s industry forecasts have simmered down from their mid-day hype to an estimated $26.4M opening weekend in second place, which indicates that advance ticket sales combined with a decent $3.1M Thursday were throwing estimates upward earlier. The Duncan Jones-directed movie is looking at an $11M Friday, an $8.8M Saturday and $8.3M Sunday. In sum, it’s front-loaded, just like Conjuring 2. CinemaScore crowds gave Warcraft a B+, which beats the grades of such video game movies (and their sequels) like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and Hitman. While Rotten Tomatoes has caused a number of distribution executives to lose their hair as their scores increasingly put a damper on ticket sales, one non-Uni executive asserts that Warcraft is critic-proof and won’t be dinged by its 27% rotten score.

Lol a 5% drop on Sunday for Warcraft? Good luck with that.

• Like 2

I liked The Conjuring 2 better than I expected. I didn't think I'd like it because we've grown accustomed to James Wan's bag of tricks (impressive as they are). But even at 2 hours and 15 minutes I was into it the whole time. I liked the British family (the lead girl is especially good). I liked Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga (though at times things got a bit corny with their relationship). And although there is nothing new here that we haven't seen in countless other horror movies, James Wan makes it work and knows how to play with us. 

But did anyone else think

Spoiler

the demon was defeated a little too easily at the end? 

I think $100M+ shouldn't be a problem. 89% Audience score on RT. 

• Like 1

Deadline added the following from Warcraft's OS box-office potential:

Yes, that’s an awful domestic opening for a film that cost $160M, but theUniversal-Legendary co-production was built to reap the majority of its cost back where essentially half of its current 5.6M fans reside: China. And Deadline has heard that Warcraft could end its run there with $200M-$250M. In total a $500M global tally gets this ambitious humans vs. orcs story at break-even. 

The top films per industry estimates for June 10-12 as of 10:30PM Friday:

1). Conjuring 2 (WB/NL), 3,343 theaters / $16M Fri. (includes $3.4M previews) / 3-day cume: $37.1M/Wk 1

2). Warcraft (UNI/LEG), 3,400 theaters / $11M Fri. (includes $3.1M previews) / 3-day cume: $26.4M/Wk 1

3). Now You See Me 2 (LG), 3,232 theaters / $8M Fri. (includes $1.75M previews) / 3-day cume: $22.3M/Wk 1

4). Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (PAR), 4,071 theaters / $3.7M Fri. (-70%) / 3-day cume: $13.2M (-62%)/Total Cume:$59.5M/Wk 2

5). X-Men: Apocalypse (FOX), 3,585 theaters (-568) / $3M Fri. (-54%) / 3-day cume: $10.7M (-53%) /Total cume: $137M/Wk 3

• Like 2

That Turtles number is horrifying. 

Big drop for Me Before You...although I'm not sure I trust Deadline's numbers. 

6). Me Before You (MGM/New Line/WB), 2,762 theaters (+58) / $3M Fri. (-62%) / 3-day cume: $9.4M (-50%)/Total cume: $37M/Wk 2

7). The Angry Birds Movie (SONY/ROVIO), 3,083 theaters (-401)/ $1.9M Fri. (-27%) / 3-day cume: $7.5M (-27%)/Total cume: $99M/ Wk 4

8). Alice Through the Looking Glass (Disney), 2,898 theaters (-865)/ $1.8M Fri. (-45%) / 3-day cume: $6.2M (-45%)/Total: $63.1M/Wk 3

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 3

The other movies,

4). Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (PAR), 4,071 theaters / $3.7M Fri. (-70%) / 3-day cume: $13.2M (-62%)/Total Cume:$59.5M/Wk 2

5). X-Men: Apocalypse (FOX), 3,585 theaters (-568) / $3M Fri. (-54%) / 3-day cume: $10.7M (-53%) /Total cume: $137M/Wk 3

6). Me Before You (MGM/New Line/WB), 2,762 theaters (+58) / $3M Fri. (-62%) / 3-day cume: $9.4M (-50%)/Total cume: $37M/Wk 2

7). The Angry Birds Movie (SONY/ROVIO), 3,083 theaters (-401)/ $1.9M Fri. (-27%) / 3-day cume: $7.5M (-27%)/Total cume: $99M/ Wk 4

8). Alice Through the Looking Glass (Disney), 2,898 theaters (-865)/ $1.8M Fri. (-45%) / 3-day cume: $6.2M (-45%)/Total: $63.1M/Wk 3

9). Captain America: Civil War (Disney), 2,101 theaters (-983) / $1.3M Fri. (-36%)/ 3-day cume: $5M (-36%) /Total cume: $397.5M/ Wk 6

10). The Jungle Book (DIS), 1,496 theaters (-494) / $743K Fri. (-35%) / 3-day cume: $2.8M (-37%)/ Total cume: $352.7M / Wk 9

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Hollywood needs to pull its head out of Jennifer Lawrence's contrived, mediocre ass and give Vera Farmiga a great star vehicle. 

On a different note, I feel if it was the 90s, Patrick Wilson would at least be on Gary Sinise/Kevin Bacon level in fame. Maybe even bigger