kayumanggi

ROUGH NIGHT | 06.16.17 | Sony

Just now, baumer said:

I wonder what genius thought it would be good to release this on Father's Day weekend?

They should've kept it on June 23 where it was originally supposed to open, especially with Transformers looking to be a relative nonevent. Doubt it would've greatly improved the grosses (think it was just a tough sell no matter what), but it wouldn't have gotten so easily lost in the shuffle.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, baumer said:

I wonder what genius thought it would be good to release this on Father's Day weekend?

I imagine normally it would have been the counter-programming option, expecting everything else playing to be father day's friendly, not expecting Wonder Woman to steal any of that.

On 6/17/2017 at 10:28 AM, TwoMisfits said:

If I had to guess...

1. Less appealing premise to women...(from the trailer, so not a spoiler - I haven't seen this) killing someone in a raunchy night and then covering it up in some way is not something they'd see themselves doing...ever...if you can't ever imagine the scenario, its humor is limited...

2. Bad weekend for release...I mean, Father's Day?  The weekend moms and daughters are spending making their dads happy?  Plus, the problem of the WW juggernaut made this choice worse...

3. Unlikeable and unidentifiable characters (which goes along with premise)...the previews didn't have a character you'd "root for" or "you'd see yourself as"...Bad Moms trailers gave you a "hero" and a "villain" in the trailers and gave you characters that you'd say "that's me" or "I totally know that person"...the best comedies have a small ring of truth in them...who in this movie is someone who people would say "yeah, I know that person"...

I originally liked the 1st trailer...then I saw a few more and was totally turned off by the premise and characters...and I was probably in the original "planned demo" for this...

I don't see a 5x for this...so it won't be Bad Moms...it will still probably get comedy legs, so it won't totally crash and burn...

Perfectly said. I really agree with this. Particularly what you said about the basic premise of the film. It's just not relatable. Which is what Bad Moms had going for it. The plot is zany and, actually, kind of dark and I really think that turned people off. Like you, I thought the first trailer was pretty good and I laughed enough at the funny bits but it seemed less appealing with the next trailer. Now, I'll probably just wait for redbox. I would imagine a good chunk of their core demographic feels similarly.

And, of course, I also don't understand why they chose this weekend to release. Makes no sense.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kingp0va said:

will scarlett get another lead anytime soon?? after ghost and rough flop i doubt it, she really should try to make balck widow happen tho

I think her shelf life as a comedy actor is shorter than Zac Efron's at least.

• Like 1

HAHahajajajahahahahahahahahsha i didnt even know this was out already. What a giant bomb. Scarlett is 2/2 this year. Congrats. So that means she wasn't reaponsible for Lucy becoming a giant hit. It was just released at the right moment capitalizing on the demand for a black widow/femake superhero movie and boom. Now no one is asking for a black widow movie. Wonder Woman has filled the void. Captain Marvel next. RIP black widow.

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

HAHahajajajahahahahahahahahsha i didnt even know this was out already. What a giant bomb. Scarlett is 2/2 this year. Congrats. So that means she wasn't reaponsible for Lucy becoming a giant hit. It was just released at the right moment capitalizing on the demand for a black widow/femake superhero movie and boom. Now no one is asking for a black widow movie. Wonder Woman has filled the void. Captain Marvel next. RIP black widow.

I wouldn't be so sure it's RIP BW. They may announce it at D23 cause, if they planned it after all, it was before Scar-Jo bombed with GitS and RN. Also, bombing non-Marvel movies has no bearing on a solo movie anyway cause Evans and Hems bomb all the time. It's Marvel brand who sells tickets, not actors who lucked out with roles in their movies. That's why they keep extending their contracts - no success outside of MCU. And didn't Peyton Read say that BW movie was going to happen? 

That said, BW's ship as the first female SH with the solo movie and pop culture phenom has sailed. WW got there first, Dark Phoenix and Captain Marvel follow, isn't Batgirl coming out in 2018 or 2019 too? Also, that DC super villainesses team movie with Harley Quinn, Poison Ivey, etc? She'll be just one of many female SH with a solo flick, not THE one who broke the new ground. If they announce it, and I think they will, it'll come out in 2019 the earliest. So there will already be many heroines.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I wouldn't be so sure it's RIP BW. They may announce it at D23 cause, if they planned it after all, it was before Scar-Jo bombed with GitS and RN. Also, bombing non-Marvel movies has no bearing on a solo movie anyway cause Evans and Hems bomb all the time. It's Marvel brand who sells tickets, not actors who lucked out with roles in their movies. That's why they keep extending their contracts - no success outside of MCU. And didn't Peyton Read say that BW movie was going to happen? 

That said, BW's ship as the first female SH with the solo movie and pop culture phenom has sailed. WW got there first, Captain Marvel follows, isn't Batgirl coming out in 2018 or 2019 too? Also, that DC super villainesses team movie with Harley Quinn, Poison Ivey, etc? She'll be just one of many female SH with a solo flick, not THE one who broke the new ground. 

No one is asking for a Black Widow solo movie anymore. That ship has sailed and it's not coming back. 

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

No one is asking for a Black Widow solo movie anymore. That ship has sailed and it's not coming back. 

I never asked for that movie cause I don't care for that stiff character with a stick up her ass, but MCU doesn't greenlight movies based on what movies people ask about. If that was the case, their slate would be very small. So yes, BW movie is still a decent possibility.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

:(

Even as someone who initially HATED theidea of ScarJo as BW, I can tell you that she made a believer out of me, and I still want to see a solo film for her. I feel that there are many potentially interesting directions a BW movie could go, based on Natasha's backstory. I truly hope you are wrong. :( 

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

Even as someone who initially HATED theidea of ScarJo as BW, I can tell you that she made a believer out of me, and I still want to see a solo film for her. I feel that there are many potentially interesting directions a BW movie could go, based on Natasha's backstory. I truly hope you are wrong. :( 

Red Sparrow is essentially a BW movie starring JLaw. If the first one opens big, they'll continue the series.

Just now, Valonqar said:

I never asked for that movie cause I don't care for that stiff character with a stick up her ass, but MCU doesn't greenlight movies based on what movies fans asked about. If that was the case, their slate would be very small. So yes, BW movie is still a decent possibility.

The folks behind the MCU showed some interest in it but have never really done anything to show that that's the road they want to go down especially as of late. I think Joss Whedon may have mentioned it and Scarjo wants it to happen but again I don't see it happening at all. Two years ago you'd be right but now I doubt the folks behind the MCU want to pay Scarjo $20M+ for a solo film that no one wants. I actually wouldn't be shocked if after Infinity War, her character doesn't just disappear from the franchise all together. 

Btw your description of the Black Widow character....on point! :bravo:

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That said, BW's ship as the first female SH with the solo movie and pop culture phenom has sailed. WW got there first, Dark Phoenix and Captain Marvel follow, isn't Batgirl coming out in 2018 or 2019 too? Also, that DC super villainesses team movie with Harley Quinn, Poison Ivey, etc? She'll be just one of many female SH with a solo flick, not THE one who broke the new ground. If they announce it, and I think they will, it'll come out in 2019 the earliest. So there will already be many heroines.

Solo superhero films about white dudes get made all the time, and their success doesn't mean that the next CBM about a white male superhero will flop. It's all about execution and marketing. Heck, I think the loong wait might actually be a plus for BW; Marvel Studios could actually use that as part of the marketing. Something akin to Wonder Woman's "her time has come" and "the world has been waiting for her" marketing taglines thing, but on a smaller scale obviously. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I think it would be good for more female led action/comic book films but I really don't see it happening. I think Marvel may pull some more D-list characters from their comic books before they go that way. I think if Captain Marvel is successful they'll pull more of their female characters like that and give them a solo film....just to be able to take the MCU into a new direction and let BW retire away. 

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Solo superhero films about white dudes get made all the time, and their success doesn't mean that the next CBM about a white male superhero will flop. It's all about execution and marketing. Heck, I think the loong wait might actually be a plus for BW; Marvel Studios could actually use that as part of the marketing. Something akin to Wonder Woman's "her time has come" and "the world has been waiting for her" marketing taglines thing, but on a smaller scale obviously. 

Yea that argument wasn't really a point imo. I think Black Widow may get a solo film years down the line but without Scarjo at the helm. Kind of like a reboot if that makes sense? And I think that actually would work. I don't know. I'm not a studio head though but I just don't see Scarjo getting her own Black Widow film 

Edited by Nova

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Am I the only one here rooting for a BW film? :sadben:

No, ScarJo is lurking and rooting for it too cause she needs a sure-fire hit after these bombs. :P

I think that they really want Wasp movie sometimes in the future. Maybe instead of Ant Man (and Wasp) 3, they make Wasp (with Ant Man in a smaller role). 

I hope Black Widow fans get their solo film but personally I'm on the "this ship has sailed" team. It just feels like it's too little too late. I feel like if Marvel were serious about the project, the film would have a known screenwriter right now.