FlashMaster659

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - FD: $136.2M, CI: $34.5M, TC2: $15.56M, NYSM2: $9.65M, Flopcraft: $6.52M

Lionsgate’s Now You See Me 2 is pacing for a -55% second sesh with $10M and a running cume by Sunday of $41.7M. And as the saying goes in distribution –“Don’t stand underneath this thing” — as Universal/Legendary’s Warcraft is set to drop 70% for an estimated $7.2M and a running 10-day total by weekend’s end of $38.4M.

why were so many thinking NYSM would hold -30-40%

• Like 1

Just now, No Prisoners said:

Lionsgate’s Now You See Me 2 is pacing for a -55% second sesh with $10M and a running cume by Sunday of $41.7M. And as the saying goes in distribution –“Don’t stand underneath this thing” — as Universal/Legendary’s Warcraft is set to drop 70% for an estimated $7.2M and a running 10-day total by weekend’s end of $38.4M.

I had it at a 55% drop but decided to do 45% because of what everyone was predicting :sadben: At least I'll be spot on for Warcraft

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Ugh.

Because it's adult skewing and it's Father's Day w/e   :bash:

9 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

I think it'll hold better than the -55% projected, we'll see, but maybe Dory eats everyone's lunch and leaves nothing o.o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

What's false about Idiocracy's satire?

Have you looked at politics, consumerism and entertainment? It's all pretty damn low brow.

Well, first and foremost, the assumption that their lowbrow status is an inherent sign of society's decay is questionable in the extreme. Politics and entertainment have been this way before without presaging a country's doom. Hell, in this very country, the current presidential election is downright civil and eloquently composed in comparison to the mud slung every four years in the early 1800s. When the discourse settled, we were none the worse for wear. No, our country was too busy being jeopardized by something of actual substance: the Civil War, and the human rights issues underlying it. On that note, past societies' idea of "entertainment" involved people actually dying, in addition to pointing and laughing at people with deformities, and the downfall of many of those societies had nothing to do with any of that.

This isn't me justifying the present state of affairs by comparison. Things aren't good. But if they used to be worse and the world didn't end, what reason do we have to think it will end now?

The problem with Idiocracy isn't in its skewering of the dumbing down of the common discourse. The problem is with its assertion that said dumbing down is apocalyptically dangerous.

Edited by johnboy3434
  • Like 2

In regards to last weekend’s wide entries, here’s how they’re looking: WB/New Line’s Conjuring 2 is looking to decline 60% for a second FSS of at least $16M in third place.  Through 10 days, it will count $72.2M. That total, should it remain on track, will pace 14% behind the first Conjuring.

:jeb!: