WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Everytime I see Liam Hemsworth in a film I'm reminded of how good Chris really is in comparison. Too bad it doesn't help his draw power anymore than Liam's though lol. 

I could see Chris carving out a career in comedy like Rose Byrne has.

If you want to see why Liam made it in Hollywood, watch the Australian horror/thriller Triangle.  He has a supporting role but he's really good in it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

I' m genuinely curious why they had Hemsworth's character at all. Will Smith's kid served the same basic purpose, but had the obvious benefit of stronger ties to the original. Plus they could've done a sort of CREED-ish thing with him.

Because

• Like 5

I thought Smith saved the day in the original.  Well, he and Goldblum.  And why wouldn't Goldblum save the day?  He was the intellectual one.

Y'know, I really hesitate to bring this up, and I don't think it was intentional -- Emmerich so consistently resorts to the most basic stereotyping when it comes to characters -- but the African warlord dude came queasily close to straight-up racist. It's like Emmerich's concept of Africans is rooted in the days of European colonialism, with just a hint of contemporary politics to keep things straight. 

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Weirdly enough, the black guy and a Jewish guy are the save-the-day heroes in 96, this movie has regressed.

That's what I was gonna say. The white guy didn't save the day in 96, it was Will Smith (with Jeff Goldblum) who saved the day. 

So not accurate to say "nothing's changed".

21 minutes ago, Baumer said:

But films aren't made with just North America in mind.  Emmerich is not a failure if his films are making 600 million internationally.  Obviously this one will not come close to that but when Emmerich's films are green lit, they are expected to do well internationally.

White house down flopped internationally. This is also tanking overseas. Will be lucky to gross half of original's 500 million.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marveldcfox said:

White house down flopped internationally. This is also tanking overseas. Will be lucky to gross half of original's 500 million.

Do you think I don't have access to boxofficemojo?  I am well aware of what WHD did.  But film makers don't bat 1000.  And Emmerich will continue making films.  This won't do well but he'll get another shot.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Around 25M for Purge, 20M for the other two

I'm not even feeling The Purge either. Where's the marketing for it? Weird, given that the Election Year theme seemed perfectly timed to coincide with the looming threat of a Trump presidency.

Roland Emmerich is a strange case in that he has basically been coasting off of Independence Day's success ever since. If you look at the rest of his output, nothing else even comes close to Independence Day's level of box office success, even in spite of the fact that the $300 milestone - while still big and certainly not attainable for every film with a nine-figure budget - is now far more attainable for event films. It even seems like most people have forgotten the fact that his much-maligned Godzilla remake fell far short of the sky-high expectations back in its day.

• Like 1

2012 had strong OS numbers. It might be that Hollywood executives are more willing to green-light his stuff 'cause if it fails, they can defend themselves by pointing to his name. Insurance without capital behind it, but cover for decision makers who always want it.

Edited by superweirdo87