WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

I also did a double feature tonight. Started with Free State of Jones. The audience was dead silent the whole movie, with a few of the older women crying during some of the harder scenes to watch. I didn't think the movie was great; the individual scenes in the movie were all great, but they certainly didn't mesh well into a cohesive film. The constant time jumps don't make the film feel as epic as they do make it feel messy. But the performances were great and like I said a lot of the individual scenes were very well done. Overall I'd give it a solid C+.

Then I watched the Shallows. I enjoyed that film quite a bit more; Lively was great, and the film as a whole was tense, well crafted and palpable. The climax was super lame IMO but everything leading up to it was solid stuff. Gets a B from me.

3 minutes ago, movieboner said:

I'm 100% sure FD's Friday is underestimated. No way, it made only $22.7 million on Friday after a $17.4 million Thursday.

If Nile or RTH or even deadline this late gives the number then its not an estimate 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, movieboner said:

I'm 100% sure FD's Friday is underestimated. No way, it made only $22.7 million on Friday after a $17.4 million Thursday.

the increase is slightly smaller than TS3's but the precedent was there - some of us have been trying to tell y'all all week ;)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, movieboner said:

:apocalypse:

Nah, this # will be pretty close to the actual. 

• Like 4

Kids films in summer just play differently.... everyday is a saturday (or at least a friday) where as adults still have to work hence the difference and Dory is already playing at a level that is not typical for these kinds of films - even ones as popular as Minions.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I honestly believe if Will Smith starred in ID:R and he was plastered all over the marketing, this could have done a $75M  opening or more.  They should have given him a blank check.

And that's a low estimate, in my opinion.

• Like 1

So that looks like about a 45% drop, in line with TS3.  This keeps 500 on the table.  Fuck the fish.

IDR has a disastrous opening day. Will it do 45 for the weekend?

Central Intelligence with a good hold and will definitely cross 100 mill at this trajectory.  

The Shallows does 6.7 and this is fantastic.  Terrific movie and I knew that 5 mill number was a bunch of hooey.....just like their 62 mill for Dory.  Deadline is just headline whores and their early numbers should never be taken seriously. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Stingray said:

Lmfao @ ID42. I'm glad it's tanking hard. The movie looked even worse than BvS.

Excellent Dory drop. Had a 25m higher OW, yet still managed to drop less than TS3.

Seems like a pretty hefty drop. Not sure what's so excellent about it, but eh.

6 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Seems like a pretty hefty drop. Not sure what's so excellent about it, but eh.

Dory is coming off a record setting opening weekend, so the drop is expected but still good.

7 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Dory is coming off a record setting opening weekend, so the drop is expected but still good.

Guess I my expectations were just too good, that anything was going to disappoint me, heh.

Actually that's a pretty damn good number for Dory, especially if Saturday increases well.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1