WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 96): Dory 73M | IDR 41M | CI 18.2M | Shallows 16.8M | Conjuring 7.7M | Jones 7.6M

Well add Finding Dory to the list of movies showing up on my Facebook feed. I can't believe the woman who posted it used the excuse that her kids are too young for the theater to see it so this way she can just hook up her HDMI cable and let them watch it at home. Umm If they're too young for the theater than wait a few months for the DVD/Blu-Ray. People these days. It's bad enough when you search for pirated movies but when they just show up on Facebook. 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 5

Speaking as a diplomat from the Pixar loonies, I really want @Baumer to go see Dory now especially after hating IDR

Like whatever you need buddy to convince you I'll do it haha. Because im pretty sure it'll be better than what you thought of IDR :P

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

I'm a total fan of the TV show, particularly SG1, I really hope they don't screw it.

Since the chances of a Stargate sequel are pretty damn low after what has happened with IDR,I oon't hink you need worry about that.

I agree Stargate is much better known for the TV Show then the original movie.

7 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Since the chances of a Stargate sequel are pretty damn low after what has happened with IDR,I oon't hink you need worry about that.

I agree Stargate is much better known for the TV Show then the original movie.

I guess you're right.

7 hours ago, ThatOneGuy said:

Secret Life of Pets is gonna be huge.  Every time I see a trailer at my theater, there's huge laughs from both the kids and adults.  And when I was at the beach, I heard 2 full grown men with tattoos and shit talking about how great it looks.

I sadly fell into that trap too.

The trailers are really funny. But the film isn't. 

8 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think Pets will $70-75m OW which is on par with the non DM Illumination film The Lorax and also Zootopia. I think it'll fail to top $300m but over $200m+ for an original animated film is still good. 

Illumination has built a strong brand but I do think they need to take more risks and improve the storytelling because it's seems they're coasting along with each film

Pets will do 70m opening weekend. My prediction for it's final gross is 240m, depending on how good legs are of course.

• Like 1

Besides jlaw what actress is a draw? Lively has made some good choices with her last couple of films. It's all about the choices. 

• Like 4

Lively's certainly improved her craft. But, no, I don't consider her a draw. I think there's a list of two dozen actors you could give the lead role to in The Shallows. It was marketed well. It's a decent movie that delivers exactly what's expected of it. Nothing more, nothing less. I'd say the same for Adaline. In saying this, I mean no disrespect to Lively.

24 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzXcvosK37J3ofOx2FBKU

She's only a draw with the right choice. If she did Shallows no one would care. :)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Baumer said:

She's only a draw with the right choice. If she did Shallows no one would care. :)

If she did Shallows as a R-rated comedy that effectively sends up shark attack flicks, it would make more than the current version. That said, I've sensed some McCarthy fatigue past summer. So... I could be wrong there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Talking about recycled models is opening a can of worms. Disney recycled their animation all the time in the old days and it's probably a reason they're able to keep their budgets low. 

The big problem with them is their characters are just thinly written and forgettable. Their most popular creations are one dimensional comic relief, not truly interesting characters like Buzz or Nemo or Elsa

Yup. They have Gru and.......... yeah that's it. 

51 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Lively's certainly improved her craft. But, no, I don't consider her a draw. I think there's a list of two dozen actors you could give the lead role to in The Shallows. It was marketed well. It's a decent movie that delivers exactly what's expected of it. Nothing more, nothing less. I'd say the same for Adaline. In saying this, I mean no disrespect to Lively.

You could say that about a lot of films though. And I'm not saying that with Lively in mind. I'm saying it in regards to any film.  At some point in time though you have to give credit to the actor involved in the film as well for selling the role too. I don't think it's fair to take credit away from an actor after a film has done well and be like "oh well there were a bunch of actors who would have sold the film just as well." Having said that, in terms of The Shallows, I think you underestimate how popular of a celebrity that Lively is in the US. Not in terms of her acting but in terms of her popularity amongst young females and males in general. Does that make her a box office draw? I don't know, possibly. Possibly not. But I think if she continues to make moderate-budget films that continue to be moderately successful at the box office, you can begin to say that. I mean if I'm a studio exec, I'd hire Lively for my lower budget films simply because she's had success in them

and her asking price is very little. Keeps the budget on the low lol 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1