kayumanggi

SPIES IN DISGUISE | 25 DEC 2019 | Fox | Will Smith, Tom Holland

6 hours ago, VanillaSkies said:

I'm still shocked that Ferdinand made that much, even with the Christmas holidays!

Two years earlier Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip opened to $14.29M alongside TFA en route to an $85.89M domestic total. Par for the course I guess for Blue Sky Animation films at Christmas time. I do feel like Spies in Disguise has a little more going for it than those two. It's more star driven with Will Smith and Tom Holland and the concept feels like it would sell better to all audiences, whereas both Chipmunks and Ferdinand seem more "kiddie".

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lilmac said:

Will Smith disappears for a year or two at a time and now he has 4 movies released in a 12 month period. 😄

Odd huh? After Aladdin though I'm guessing he's going to want to strike while the iron is hot.

Tom Holland has also been really busy!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Spies in Disguise opens in 3,502 theatres tomorrow:

Curious to see how this coexists with Frozen. I'm sure Frozen will be fine, but will this reach its potential?

Depends on what you mean by potential? I had hoped it would be a 100m film but its like Disney pulled the ad plug for this film too.... imo. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 6:11 PM, narniadis said:

Depends on what you mean by potential? I had hoped it would be a 100m film but its like Disney pulled the ad plug for this film too.... imo. 

Yeah, maybe. I guess the Christmas holidays is sort of a double sided release date: it's good for Grade A franchises to dominate, make headlines with its box office and maximize its potential, but it can also be used for complete duds the studio knows are horrible to squeeze whatever they can from the box office to minimize the hurt. Thing is, Spies in Disguise doesn't look that horrible.

Guess, not surprisingly, Frozen II has all the limelight.

19 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Looks like a $13.2M 3-day for this. Comps are hard to find for it so I really have no idea how it's going to fare.

@TwoMisfits any plans for this?

Not sure yet...I gotta book my Atom deal still...and I'm torn since my kids won't decide if they want this (or if they want Dolittle or some other January prebuy:)...

They are also deciding if they want more movies or bowling...since they have done 2 movies the last 2 weeks, they like variety, so I'm not sure yet if they want 3:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Not sure yet...I gotta book my Atom deal still...and I'm torn since my kids won't decide if they want this (or if they want Dolittle or some other January prebuy:)...

They are also deciding if they want more movies or bowling...since they have done 2 movies the last 2 weeks, they like variety, so I'm not sure yet if they want 3:)...

God, I haven't been bowling in so long. As much as I love movies that would actually be a tough choice for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

God, I haven't been bowling in so long. As much as I love movies that would actually be a tough choice for me.

Especially when it's a free game for all 4 of my kids (and 2 of my kids have shoes:)...it's like a $10 family outing for a game...(and it's 2 minutes from my house:)...

I might lean that way b/c I have to buy a couch this week, so I'd have the time if we bowled:)...boys, they like to break stuff:)...

• Like 2