kayumanggi

SPIES IN DISGUISE | 25 DEC 2019 | Fox | Will Smith, Tom Holland

6 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I still don't see why this needed to be a story involving the pigeon stuff at all. A kid friendly black James Bond type of movie would make way more bank than this idea.

Since the title of the movie is Spies in Disguise, and not anything to do with pigeons, they could always go that route in a sequel. I happen to agree with you, and think this has potential to be a successful franchise. 

Edited by Walt Disney

4 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

Since the title of the movie is Spies in Disguise, and not anything to do with pigeons, they could always go that route in a sequel. I happen to agree with you, and think this has potential to be a successful franchise. 

I mean, will Disney even keep Blue Sky? It'd an embarrassment compared to Disney and Pixar.

51 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean, will Disney even keep Blue Sky? It'd an embarrassment compared to Disney and Pixar.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-installs-top-animation-execs-at-foxs-blue-sky-1230538

THR: Disney Installs Top Animation Execs at Fox's Blue Sky

Disney’s installation of some of its top animation executives at Blue Sky suggests the company plans to retain the Fox division despite already having a deep roster of talent at its two existing animation studios. Disney’s possible use for Blue Sky, the company behind the Ice Age and Rio franchises, will be to feed content to the company’s streaming service, Disney+, which is set to launch in November.

6 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

Well, the title is a  pun

Spies in Disguise

Spies in the Skies. . .

9 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

Disney shut down DisneyToon Studios, which made a lot of their direct to video sequels. I always viewed Blue Sky as a replacement for DisneyToon Studios. 

I mean they shut down Disneytoon because that sucked as well so. The only big box office draw was the Ice Age franchise, and even that one bottomed out with Collision Course making half the previous film, and barely making more than the 2002 original (and that's NOT including inflation).

Edited by SpiderByte

I think this will actually make a killing over the Christmas holiday. 

Besides Jumanji, there won't be much for kids and even that one might not play well to the under 10 crowd. Parents will probably be more likely to take that crowd to an animated flick. 

Coupled that with the fact that Will Smith has catapulted back into the limelight this year with Aladdin and soon Gemini Man (as well as his highly watched Facebook TV series) and  I'm sure crowds will come out. 

The only thing I don't understand is why they aren't opening it on the 20th instead of the 25th. The 23rd and 24th are a Monday and Tuesday, and given the calendar configuration there will be a lot of kids off school those two days. Sure, a lot of families will be busy with travel, etc. But there is still money to be made. 

Anyways, I don't see how this doesn't make at least 100m +

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I mean they shut down Disneytoon because that sucked as well so. The only big box office draw was the Ice Age franchise, and even that one bottomed out with Collision Course making half the previous film, and barely making more than the 2002 original (and that's NOT including inflation).

I don’t disagree with a lot of your points about Blue Sky. However, I do think they shut down Disneytoon because they knew they were buying Fox, so they would get Blue Sky.

On 11/18/2019 at 11:09 AM, Eric Plus said:

This is how you showcase your film like you're proud of it. Hopefully Disney isn't in the mood of "hoping it flops," because this film looks extremely impressive from an animation standpoint. Kendrick Lamar spitting bars will probably help sell the movie, too.

I'm curious if family audiences will be ready to fill auditoriums for this, Frozen 2 having been in release for just over a month by then. It looks like a fun movie, but I don't know....

I dont suppose there's tracking of any kind for this so far, is there?

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I'm curious if family audiences will be ready to fill auditoriums for this, Frozen 2 having been in release for just over a month by then. It looks like a fun movie, but I don't know....

I dont suppose there's tracking of any kind for this so far, is there?

A gross similar to Ferdinand from two years ago ($84M) feels like a best case scenario for this really.

• Like 1