FlashMaster659

Tuesday #s: (Gitesh) Dory $14.7M

16 minutes ago, zackzack said:

It's hard to talk about legs when an animation opens to more than $130M

I don't understand what you mean. We're talking about them right now. It's quite easy.

And Legs, while they may not be a official technical term, are pretty easy to define mathematically. Total Gross / OW = Legs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Pandaren said:

500m for any movie IS a true juggernaut

Mmm, not quite in this day and age. As evidenced by the fact that we have 65 movies adjusted that have done it now. By "juggernaut" I meant like a top 30 all time run type of film (i.e. JW, TDK, Avengers, Avatar, TFA). 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Mmm, not quite in this day and age. As evidenced by the fact that we have 65 movies adjusted that have done it now. By "juggernaut" I meant like a top 30 all time run type of film (i.e. JW, TDK, Avengers, Avatar, TFA). 

And those 65 movies were juggernauts.  65 isn't a lot of movies when there's upwards of 200-300 or so that come out every year.

• Like 1

This summer is essentially a repeat of 2003. Finding Nemo movies on top, followed by a huge live action Disney movie (Pirates 1/CW). Both had profitable Singer helmed X-Men films, and then a slew of commercial and critical failures, many of which were unwanted sequels:

Terminator 3 / Alice 2

Bad Boys 2 / IDR

Spy Kids 3D / TMNT2

Legally Blonde 2 / NYSM2

Charlie's Angels 2 / Neighbors 2

Tomb Raider 2 / Warfcraft

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen / Tarzan

Daddy Day Care / Ice Age??

Now we just need a big comedy hit like Bruce Almighty (Ghostbusters?), a grittier action hit like The Matrix Reloaded (Suicide Squad?), and an older skewing hit like Seabiscuit (Bourne?) and the parallel will be complete. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This summer is essentially a repeat of 2003. Finding Nemo movies on top, followed by a huge live action Disney movie (Pirates 1/CW). Both had profitable Singer helmed X-Men films, and then a slew of commercial and critical failures, many of which were unwanted sequels:

Terminator 3 / Alice 2

Bad Boys 2 / IDR

Spy Kids 3D / TMNT2

Legally Blonde 2 / NYSM2

Now we just need a big comedy hit like Bruce Almighty (Ghostbusters?), a grittier action hit like The Matrix Reloaded (Suicide Squad?), and an older skewing hit like Seabiscuit (Bourne?) and the parallel will be complete. 

Mike and Dave is obviously going to break out

So for anyone curious, I made a sort of comparison between Dory and TDK. Not an exact match, but it's close enough to work, as removing midnights for TDK brings their multipliers to an almost equivalent 3.65 (TDK) vs 3.7 (Dory) . Dory can only trail by $33 mil to reach $500 mil. After losing $23.5 mil on opening weekend, Dory has made up about a million, leaving Dory currently pacing at $22.7 mil behind. Dory's on track for $500 mil. 

If u look at madagascar (2005, when the calendar was the same - july 4th on monday) it had a small increase on friday, and 8%uptick on saturday, and 15% drop on sunday, a 25% drop on monday and a 18% drop on tuesday

34 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Terminator 3 / Alice 2

Bad Boys 2 / IDR

Spy Kids 3D / TMNT2

Legally Blonde 2 / NYSM2

Is is this commercial or critical failures only? T3 made over 400 lm worldwide. Higher than what Alice will finish with. Bad Boys 2 made more than the first. Daddy Day Care was a modest hit. Spy Kids 3 increased from 2.

Edited by John Marston

9 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

My arbitrary definition of "juggernaut" is anything that is one of the top 79 adjusted movies in the past 79 years (since the first "event" movie in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)

Not a bad way to define it, but for me it's a little more exclusive. I don't think it should average to one film a year, we don't get a box office phenomenon every year on average. 

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Sorry, I still wouldn't call anything under 600 a juggernaut in today's age (especially since you have to take 3d inflation out). I reserve that title for the few films that are in that highest tier. 

You don't consider Finding Nemo a juggernaut, it adjusts to about 530M+.

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Terminator 3 / Alice 2

Bad Boys 2 / IDR

Spy Kids 3D / TMNT2

Legally Blonde 2 / NYSM2

So that makes Conjuring 2 our 28 Days Later and The Darkness our Wrong Turn. The Nice Guys would be our S.W.A.T. (70s throwback action film).

But we don't have a tween hit a la The Lizzie McGuire Movie or Freaky Friday.