WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

17 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It should open better than Frozen no matter what so it won't quite need the same legs

It should because Frozen was like the beginning of the restart and now they are established. 

3 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

Oh, I thought that was the Dory number. 

Yeah, Mike & Dave will probably do $12-16 million OW. Not that bad given how low the budget is. 

It's budget is $33M. I don't consider that low budget. The Purge's budget is low. Either way if it does $13M it's going to need a 2.5x to get its budget back. And considering the fact it did $1.6M in previews and it's Friday is $5-6M tells me it's front loaded so who knows if it'll reach that 2.5x 

• Like 1

If Ghostbusters opens to 40 million and it ends up doing 110-120, it won't need much internationally to at least break even budget wise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

@Baumer

Zootopia has some grim moments, too. They aren't played for laughs, though. Do you think that would bother you?

It depends how the film is made.  Dory had some tense and serious moments as well but they were certainly lighter.  SLOP seemed like it was trying to scare kids, it was just totally dark and mean in some parts.

• Like 1

Just now, Baumer said:

If Ghostbusters opens to 40 million and it ends up doing 110-120, it won't need much internationally to at least break even budget wise.

It'll probably do okay OS as Ghostbusters is well known in many countries. 

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

It likely won't make much internationally, so I'm not so sure about it being successful.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's budget is $33M. I don't consider that low budget. The Purge's budget is low. Either way if it does $13M it's going to need a 2.5x to get its budget back. And considering the fact it did $1.6M in previews and it's Friday is $5-6M tells me it's front loaded so who knows if it'll reach that 2.5x 

Why the hell would this be front loaded though?  That's the confusing part.

3 minutes ago, Baumer said:

It likely won't make much internationally, so I'm not so sure about it breaking-even with those kinds of numbers.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

It'll probably do okay OS as Ghostbusters is well known in many countries. 

It is?  That's news to me.  I don't think ti's really well known at all.  

Just now, Baumer said:

Why the hell would this be front loaded though?  That's the confusing part.

I have no idea. When I saw that $1.6M preview number I thought it would hit high teens easily....maybe even hit $20M. So yea I'm shocked it stayed at $5-6M. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

It depends how the film is made.  Dory had some tense and serious moments as well but they were certainly lighter.  SLOP seemed like it was trying to scare kids, it was just totally dark and mean in some parts.

I dunno about trying to scare kids, but Zootopia sometimes plays like a movie that doesn't even have kids in mind. Multiple people complained about scenes in it that left the 4-year olds in the audience bored and restless.

2 minutes ago, Baumer said:

SLOP seemed like it was trying to scare kids, it was just totally dark and mean in some parts.

I can't even begin to think of what parts of the film you could possibly talking about. All seemed very light hearted to me

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Since it's rated R, West Coast numbers might boost it to $6.5-7.5 million. 

It doesn't have a ton of competition so a 2.5x-2.8x shouldn't be that hard to achieve with summer weekdays.