WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

Just now, Spaghetti said:

Damn, that's impressive for Pets. Maybe this could hit $100m after all. Y'all haters corny with this Illumination mess. I can definitely see $40m+ for today, which would assure $100m easily. Animation is on crack this year.

Also pretty solid for Mike and Dave. Not sure how strong its weekend IM will be (teen comedies tend to crash and burn on Saturday in the summer) but it's promising so far. 

Mike and Dave isn't a teen comedy though :lol: 

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Previews for SLOP are about 58% of Dory's; 58% of Dory's weekend is 78.4M.

True but also it's 85% of Minions' previews so that would be like 90+.

Not sure how much it will end up making.

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Previews for SLOP are about 58% of Dory's; 58% of Dory's weekend is 78.4M.

I doubt SLOP will be as frontloaded as Dory, but I'm definitely thinking it may be more than Inside Out.

Here's what happens if it follows these trajectories:

Dragon 2: $131m

Inside Out: $130m

Minions: $99m

Maleficent: $86m

Finding Dory: $78.4m

There's nothing else we can really compare this too, but I think it's set for over $100m. 

• Like 2

SLOP has a RT audience score of 72% and Mike and Dave 71%. Neighbors 2's audience score was 56% on Monday (I believe it was low 60's morning of release, can't say for certain as it isn't archived) so this is very encouraging. Illumination scores as close as the archive has:

Minions (July 22): 54% (Current Score 49%)

DM2 (Day after release): 89% (Current Score 85%) 

The Lorax (Day of release): 73% (Current Score 64%)

Hop (Day of release): 59% (Current Score 53%)

DM: Can't find the score but its current one is 82%

Based on this SLOP's WOM is on par with Lorax's.

FORBES

If it performs like Finding Nemo (6.8%), it gets to $78 million, which is around where guestimates were before this morning but would represent unusual frontloading for an animated non-sequel. If it plays like Minions (5.39%), it ends the weekend with a whopping $98m weekend. If it plays like Inside Out(4%), it’ll earn a superb $$133m opening weekend. That’s probably not going to happen, but I wasn’t expecting a debut Thursday bigger than Despicable Me 2 either.

Just looking at comparisons, we’d be looking at a $78-$133 million opening weekend, with a solid 5% getting the film to $105m. Are we looking at a $100m+ opening weekend for this Illumination feature? That seems unlikely, but unless this is one fo the most frontloaded Thursday-to-weekend performances for an animated film on record, we may be looking at just that. Or maybe it settles for 6% and still snags an insane $88m debut weekend.

But in case it is a bit more frontloaded than I expect, we should again note that the film cost just $75m to produce.

Biggest previews ever for an original animation, be it first in a pre-existing franchise or truly original. MASSIVE. 80-90M debut on the way; 300M seems almost assured, in spite of the mixed WOM. Minions had lesser WOM and was far more frontloaded, and still did it, after all. Mike And Dave on the track for high teens, which is right where it should be.

Dory and Tarzan's Thursday holds are mighty. I can't believe Tarzan has had as solid a performance as it has, even if it still won't be a profitable movie because of its insane budget. Tsujihara out of WB is still in the table. And Dory is the Jurassic World of this Summer, for sure (not quite that big, but still a juggernaut on its own).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

SLOP has a RT audience score of 72% and Mike and Dave 71%. Neighbors 2's audience score was 56% on Monday (I believe it was low 60's morning of release, can't say for certain as it isn't archived) so this is very encouraging. Illumination scores as close as the archive has:

Minions (July 22): 54% (Current Score 49%)

DM2 (Day after release): 89% (Current Score 85%) 

The Lorax (Day of release): 73% (Current Score 64%)

Hop (Day of release): 59% (Current Score 53%)

DM: Can't find the score but its current one is 82%

Based on this SLOP's WOM is on par with Lorax's.

The Lorax had mediocre legs, I think Pets will have similar legs since there is more competition in the summer and actual kids competition with Ice Age, Pete's Dragon and Kubo.

• Like 1

Friends saw Pets last night and said the movie started off well but dragged through the last hour. Also stated the animation was subpar. Guess that's what you get when it you only spend 75 million on an animated flick.

I was scheduled to see it this afternoon.....but will see Tarzan instead.

• Like 2