WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

3 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Who said Fandango presales didn't matter just the other day? Hmmm..

It definitely wasn't me haha! :ph34r: 

Regardless, always still take "X is outselling X on Fandango" reports with caution.

• Like 3

Just now, Ocho said:

Friends saw Pets last night and said the movie started off well but dragged through the last hour. Also stated the animation was subpar. Guess that's what you get when it you only spend 75 million on an animated flick.

I was scheduled to see it this afternoon.....but will see Tarzan instead.

While I don't think every movie should be spending WDAS/Pixar money on their animated films. You can be creative and pull off good designs under $100m, Illumination looks like they recycle some of the models from other films. I wouldn't be surprised if Sing have similar animals to Pets.

• Like 1

Mike & Dave could open at a Let's Be Cops/Friends with Benefits level.  Totally didn't see that coming, especially considering Efron's recent toxicity as a lead.  Social media was also non-existent and it didn't even appear on MT until this morning. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Lorax had mediocre legs, I think Pets will have similar legs since there is more competition in the summer and actual kids competition with Ice Age, Pete's Dragon and Kubo.

This was The Lorax's competition:

Mar 9: John Carter :kitschjob:

Mar 17: Jump Street (which dethroned it)

Mar 23: Hunger Games

Mar 30: Titans and Mirror Mirror

Easter: American Reunion and the Titanic rerelease

SLOP has a lot more movies to compete with, and while there might not be a THG size hit several movies are on track for 50M+ OWs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

SLOP has a lot more movies to compete with, and while there might not be a THG size hit several movies are on track for 50M+ OWs

Star Trek Beyond, Ghostbusters and Jason Bourne all will do above $50-60m and Ice Age, while it's not exactly a huge threat I think will still over $30m. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It doesn't look like a lot of competition.

1 minute ago, lab276 said:

It doesn't look like a lot of competition.

For Lorax or SLOP? The post was alluding to the fact Lorax had little competition; this is what SLOP has:

Next weekend: Ghostbusters 50M+

July 22: Star Trek 50M+, Ice Age (direct competition) 30-35M, Lights Out 20-30M

July 29: Bourne 45M+, Bad Moms 20M+

Aug 6: Suicide Squad 80M+, Nine Lives (direct competition) 7-18M, The Founder low teens

Aug 13: Pete's Dragon (direct competition) 30M+, Sausage Party 20M+, Florence low teens

Aug 20: Kubo (direct competition) high teens+, War Dogs 20-35M, Ben Hur low teens

16 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

It's funny how people sparked to a concept that's basically just Toy Story with your pets instead of your toys. 

Pets have a primal appeal. People spend hours looking at funny cat videos and post pictures of them online just to get people to gawk. 

Having seen this I don't think it's entirely fair to compare it to Toy Story, since Toy Story had an actual plot

• Like 3

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Suicide Squad is doing 100M+ unless it sucks (for which its internal multiplier would probably collapse). You guys should be banking on that :wiggle:

I'm at 110M right now

according to Deadline Dory did 5.9 yesterday. That's a strong hold given SLOP previews.

So Dory actually beat SLOP on Thursday. (Won't on Friday or the weekend mind you).

Dory made an estimated $5.9M yesterday at 4,305 locations

• Like 1