WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

5 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Here we go again, everyone wails every single year about this time that there are no adult movies, cinema is falling apart, blah blah blah blah and then a few weeks from now you get Jason Bourne, The Founder and Florence Foster Jenkins.  A few weeks after those you get Sully, Snowden, Deepwater Horizon, Birth of a Nation, The Girl on the Train and The Accountant.  

That is all in the next 3 months.  Cinema for adults is not dead and there will be multiple films that do very well.  

90% of those will be crap too. Not to mention most aren't made by studios. 

I have to maintain my curmudgeonly reputation to maintain.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Fuck summer movies. Anything made by studios, anyway. Summer's are

now a wasteland. Used to be my favorite movie season, now it's the worst. 

Pixar doesn't need my support, btw. 

Think that might have something to do with growing up and getting older?  Same reason summer used to be my favorite and now it is October and Oscar season.  

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I've noticed over the past year or so that I want what I can't have. During he summer, all I want to see are the fall season Oscar baits. During the fall and winter, all I want are summer blockbusters.

Because you don't yet have the luxury of nostalgia goggles. Once you're out of a season you only remember the stuff you loved about it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nova said:

I normally have to go at night because I have school or sometimes work during the day. On weekends is usually when I do matinees but it's not always the case so that's why I was really interested in it because $12 and $14 a movie isn't always fun and when a movie sucks that's probably why I get even more mad and critique it harder haha I guess I could just go to theater earlier to make sure I get a seat in order to by pass that pre-purchasing limitation. 

I find that MP's real worth is basically for if you wanna see movies in the theater that you'd normally be on the fence about actually paying for. And I've had some fun with that, not gonna lie. Nice to just go see any movie and not really care how shitty it might be because I'm paying the same monthly fee to see movies. Might as well see as many as I can. 

• Like 1

I'm excited for Florence Foster Jenkins, Birth of a Nation, Girl on a Train, and the Accountant!

I'm actually looking forward to the rest of the summer too! Ghostbusters, Star Trek, Bourne, and Suicide Squad! Kubo, War Dogs, Sausage, and Don't Breathe look pretty dope too!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Next summer is going to be uneven again:

May is a colossal wasteland outside of GOTG.

June will do well box office wise but the only interesting movies are Kingsman, Wonder Woman, and The Mummy (maybe The House).

July looks great, 3/4 weeks have a movie I want to see and they'll all do great at the box office.

August is even worse than May; all it has is Alien.

Summer 2017 does look pretty bad. What other films outside of GOTG 2 have a chance to make 300m+?

Probably Spiderman: Homecoming, and Despciable Me 3

What is the Untitled Disney Live action film currently scheduled for July 28? Maybe that one too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, babz06 said:

Summer 2017 does look pretty bad. What other films outside of GOTG 2 have a chance to make 300m+?

Probably Spiderman: Homecoming, and Despciable Me 3

What is the Untitled Disney Live action film currently scheduled for July 28? Maybe that one too.

D

U

N

K

I

R

K

• Like 5

Seriously though, summer movie quality is on par with what it's always been. Some years better than others, but for the most part you always have a few fun popcorn flicks and a maybe a good drama or comedy or two. As I pointed out last week, this summer bears a striking resemblance to summer '03, which I'd say was the worst summer of the '00's decade for quality. Hopefully this is the worst of this decade, however it's already WAY better than the dreadful '03 slate. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Fuck summer movies. Anything made by studios, anyway. Summer's are

now a wasteland. Used to be my favorite movie season, now it's the worst. 

Pixar doesn't need my support, btw. 

You are literally turning into the Grumpy Cat. Amazing. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

D

U

N

K

I

R

K

I still don't know why they are sticking to this summer release date, makes no sense, especially in America given the subject matter.

Edited by The Futurist

The studios hate their audiences. Can't you see that? They think we're stupid and they're getting away with as little effort as possible. And it's working! Honestly, and I'm burning all bridges here, but I CAN'T FUCKING UNDERSTAND how anyone can still be excited for the next superhero movie at this point. IT'S THE SAME SHIT. 

Dramas, historical action, etc aimed for adults aren't making the money because those are tougher to take a date to and aren't appealing to the kids. All the single adults can just either download the movies or there's other adult-marketed entertainment at home. That leaves targeting the very young or targeting the very old (like Listeria). I can't wait to see the Sully numbers. That has geriatrics written all over it. Some of those folks do not realize they can just download at home. Surprisingly, though, Sully, though not having as many views as other blockbusters, has a disproportionate amount of likes. That tells me our geriatric population, if they're savvy enough to brave the internet, are not afraid to show appreciation.

• Like 1