WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

Just now, The Futurist said:

I still don't know why they are sticking to this summer release, makes no sense, especially in America given the subject matter.

This is Nolan's weekend. He has owned it since July 18, 2008. His next movie will be a rom com that's utterly sexless and WB will slot it as a mega tent pole in 2019.

• Like 5

"Drama" shouldn't have to equal "geriatrics", just look at some of the great, big mainstream dramas in the past. They're exciting, shocking, full-blooded, shit that stays with you after you walk out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trifle said:

Sony says it is.  No trailer yet, though.

:badday:

It is all a matter of time now... days maybe?... JLAW is coming, Pratt is coming...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MrPink said:

This is Nolan's weekend. He has owned it since July 18, 2008. His next movie will be a rom com that's utterly sexless and WB will slot it as a mega tent pole in 2019.

I still want that movie where he films his dick in IMAX.

• Like 1

For your fun big budget blockbuster we have Civil War and hopefully Star Trek and Suicide Squad. Dory, Pets, and BFG are a fantastic family entertainment trio, each distinctly unique in their offerings. Pete's Dragon and Kubo also look to bring the quality. Horror is thriving like no recent summer I can remember, with Conjuring 2, Shallows, and The Purge all being rock solid offerings and Lights Out looks to join them soon. Central Intelligence is a fun buddy comedy, people who actually saw Popstar said it was a fun spoof, and Sausage Party looks like it could really deliver on the R rated comedy front. Who knows about Ghostbusters right now. For adult dramas we have The Nice Guys and likely The Inflitrator, Jason Bourne and The Founder for good offerings. Possibly Florence Foster Jenkins as well. So yeah, anyone bitching how awful it is really needs to sit the fuck down. There's still decent options for you, whatever your taste may be. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

"Drama" shouldn't have to equal "geriatrics", just look at some of the great, big mainstream dramas in the past. They're exciting, shocking, full-blooded, shit that stays with you after you walk out. 

I'm craving some Braveheart! 

27 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Fuck summer movies. Anything made by studios, anyway. Summer's are

now a wasteland. Used to be my favorite movie season, now it's the worst. 

Pixar doesn't need my support, btw. 

giphy.gif

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Jack Nevada said:

The studios hate their audiences. Can't you see that? They think we're stupid and they're getting away with as little effort as possible. And it's working! Honestly, and I'm burning all bridges here, but I CAN'T FUCKING UNDERSTAND how anyone can still be excited for the next superhero movie at this point. IT'S THE SAME SHIT. 

Superhero movies are probably best viewed on the big screen. Not hard to see why people would want to go see them. Besides audiences are eventually gonna get bored of superhero films.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

For your fun big budget blockbuster we have Civil War and hopefully Star Trek and Suicide Squad. Dory, Pets, and BFG are a fantastic family entertainment trio, each distinctly unique in their offerings. Pete's Dragon and Kubo also look to bring the quality. Horror is thriving like no recent summer I can remember, with Conjuring 2, Shallows, and The Purge all being rock solid offerings and Lights Out looks to join them soon. Central Intelligence is a fun buddy comedy, people who actually saw Popstar said it was a fun spoof, and Sausage Party looks like it could really deliver on the R rated comedy front. Who knows about Ghostbusters right now. For adult dramas we have The Nice Guys and likely The Inflitrator, Jason Bourne and The Founder for good offerings. Possibly Florence Foster Jenkins as well. So yeah, anyone bitching how awful it is really needs to sit the fuck down. There's still decent options for you, whatever your taste may be. 

I can agree that there's still is a level of diversity, but I think its trending downward. Dramas of all kinds will still exist due to the lesser studios, and as long as budgets are low, they'll still exist in the major studios. I'm looking forward to Queen of Katwe this year. However, the big-budget dramas and war stories might go extinct. I'm craving more Braveheart movies that do not feature light sabers. Sadly, I don't think Ben Hur is going to deliver. That said, I really hope Dunkirk succeeds next year.

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Would we be having this meltdown if Pets only made $70m this weekend?

Anyone?

Kind of glad it is doing as well as it is just for the meltdowns we have seen this weekend. Find it weird when there are meltdowns because a movie is doing well, will never understand that.

• Like 4