WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (Page 92): Pets 103.2M (biggest OW ever for an original movie) | Tarzan 20.6M | Dory 20.3M | M&D 16.6M

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
1 new The Secret Life of Pets Universal $103,172,440   4,370   $23,609   $103,172,440 3
- new Mike and Dave Need Wedding … 20th Century Fox $16,600,000   2,982 $5,567   $16,600,000 3
- (3) The Purge: Election Year Universal $11,698,645 -63% 2,821 $4,147   $58,108,920 10
- (5) Independence Day: Resurgence 20th Century Fox $7,700,000 -54% 3,061 $2,516   $91,495,582   17

Just now, CJohn said:

The hate Illumination gets is just sad. Fucking sad. 

I just don't like them, although I'm more of a Pixar fan, I also liked Dreamworks, Disney and never minded Blue sky either, it is just illumination films that I can't get into, particularly despicable me series and minions. I think out of all animation studios they rely on the cheapest tricks to get box office.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The hate Illumination gets is just sad. Fucking sad. God forbid any company not from Disney is successful. 

I love films from Laika, various DreamWorks (KFP/Dragon), Sony (Cloudy especially), I loved the Lego Movie. I love those films that present good stories, with wonderful characters. Illumination rarely gives that.

An example of why Illumination sucks: 

If you go see SLOP, you'll first be treated to an annoying short with the Minions being "cute" and talking "cute" gibberish. It's really just annoying, not cute. Then when the movie itself starts, at first you'll like the cute set-up of what pets do when they're left home alone. But then you'll realize there's no story. The rest of the movie's running time is padded by frenetic chases and flat one-liners and the vague semblance of a plot that rips off superior movies like Toy Story, Oliver & Company and Lady & The Tramp. Within SLOP is promo for Illumination's next film, which is about animals who "cutely" sing pop hits like Bad Romance. 

Edited by La Binoche

Yes Binoche, but everything sucks for you.

Also, you kinda also described Dory in there. Not much to it, cute characters being cute. In fact, you described 95% of kids movies nowadays.

I hope Illumination continues to have success and feed on the haters tears. 

• Like 4

The reactions to Secret Life of Pets around here are still just baffling. If you all detest Minions so much, why did you go into a film from the same people expecting something different? The first teaser - which even ran right in front of Minions this time last year - made the film's artistic aims pretty clear. I get that we all want Disney/Pixar style home runs from every animated film, but sometimes a talking animal movie is just a talking animal movie.

• Like 4

Newsflash for everybody regarding the debate of this week-end thread.

Ghibli & Myazaki are doing the exact same thing as Pixar & Lasseter :

treating animation as a genre, targeted to kids, but doing it in an elegant & intelligent way so it can be appealing to adults.

The Myazaki movies are exotic to us westerners & you have the wrong impression they are different & original, it is because japanese culture is very peculiar so they have a unique way at looking at things.

I would even argue the Pixar movies have more variety and creativity than the Ghiblis.

Edited by The Futurist

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Illumination itself is just sad. Fucking sad. 

Nah man, the only thing sad is adult people losing their shit over kids movies. It makes me hope Pets beats Inside Out (won't happen, tho).

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Newsflash for everybody regarding the debate of this week-end thread.

Ghibli & Myazaki are doing the exact same thing as Pixar & Lasseter :

treating animation as a genre, targeted to kids, but doing it in an elegant & intelligent way so it can be appealing to adults.

The Myazaki movies are exotic to us westerners & you have the wrong impression they are differnet & original, it is because japanese culture is very peculiar so they have a unique way at looking at things.

I would even argue the Pixar movies have more variety and creativity than the Ghiblis.

How could you possibly know that? It's the height of ethnocentrism to think that "Oh, it's Japanese, so of course it's bizarre".

And hell no to Pixar having more variety and creativity than Studio Ghibli. Watching Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away seem to refute that.