grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

31 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Stop it guys. I'm not pulling numbers out of thin air. A 40% increase on Saturday gives it 21. That gives it 52-54 mill. I suspect it'll go up more today and tomorrow.

40% would be an extremely strong Saturday bump for a July animated film. It's more likely to hover somewhere between 25-35%. Which probably means an 18-20 Saturday off a 15m Friday.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

My showing tonight, although the UK was sold out at 19.10, much bigger audience than the 17.10 showing on opening day Monday.

A lot of children this time.

You know, the only times I ever really saw the previews for Ghostbusters were in front of animated/family movies and then when I saw Ghostbusters I saw previews for Trolls, Pete's Dragon, and Kubo. Kids seem like a strange market for the film to me, but I guess they were going for them? 

1 hour ago, robertman2 said:

You are aware that the article was talking about how 'it's your duty' to see Ghostbusters because of the female lead? It sure as hell wasn't bitching about them

My point was pretty clear. You implied people weren't bashing the other movies online. They were. Fury Road and Star wars were the target of so called mens rights activists. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

2nd UPDATE, 12:05PM: Well, the ladies are driving sales to Ghostbusters according to ComScore’s PostTrak with industry projections seeing an opening weekend that’s north of $46M after an $18M Friday. However, there’s a constituency of box office forecasters who still believe Ghostbusters can pull off a $55M-plus opening (Sony is sticking to their $40M-range estimate). Many still see Ghostbusters second to The Secret Life of Pets which will hold No. 1 with a second weekend north of $55M.  Hands down, director Paul Feig and Ghostbusters star Melissa McCarthy can look forward to the best B.O. opening of their careers, outstripping The Heat ($39.1M).

http://deadline.com/2016/07/ghostbusters-weekend-box-office-1201787149/

So right where I guessed earlier this AM. Curiosity is going to win with this one over the backlash.

8 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

My point was pretty clear. You implied people weren't bashing the other movies online. They were. Fury Road and Star wars were the target of so called mens rights activists. 

I wasn't making a reference to Men's Rights Activists. I was talking about how feminsists were acting this is the first time there's been a major tentpole movie led by a woman, while they ignored the three movies I mentioned

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gautske said:

Don't underestimate the sentiment/plethora of articles like this one:

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/07/your-duty-to-see-ghostbusters-this-weekend.html

Stupid article. It's not my civic duty to see anything. I want to see an article from NYMAG about how not seeing the latest Transformers hurts the cast too.

"A Ghostbusters "failure" would hurt the film's stars, too: Unlike their male counterparts, actresses are blamed when their movies don’t do well."

Damn poor Felicity Jones has a lot riding on her then! If Episode 8 doesn't break 200m it's all Diasey Ridleys fault! What a bunch of lies.

• Like 1

Good. Keep going up. 18 is the floor for a solid opening day IMO. A few people mentioned Ant Man earlier this week as a solid comp and I'd agree, even if the OW comes in lower. 

I think a second weekend drop for Pets that's higher than Dory's would be rough. But the film is clearing Minions' total which means the last three Illumination pics will have averaged 350m. Better track record than anybody in the business this side of Disney. 

• Like 1

Would be fun to have a photo finish weekend: GB takes the estimates just so the haters can't make a mountain out of a mole hill on it coming in second in all the weekend headlines, but SLOP takes the actuals so animation domination can continue. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i just finished the second. i get the feeling that

Hide contents

the weird telekinetic girl is the sheriff's 'dead' daughter

I'm 5 episodes in and that hasn't occured to me. It would make some sense though. 

13 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Stupid article. It's not my civic duty to see anything. I want to see an article from NYMAG about how not seeing the latest Transformers hurts the cast too.

"A Ghostbusters "failure" would hurt the film's stars, too: Unlike their male counterparts, actresses are blamed when their movies don’t do well."

Damn poor Felicity Jones has a lot riding on her then! If Episode 8 doesn't break 200m it's all Diasey Ridleys fault! What a bunch of lies.

Exactly. Seeing ridiculous articles like this makes me hope the movie does poorly

• Like 1

Eh, male actors often get blamed when movies flop too. How quickly everyone forgets that Taylor Kitsch became a bit of a punchline four years ago (despite the failures of John Carter and Battleship not being his fault at all).

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

Exactly. Seeing ridiculous articles like this makes me hope the movie does poorly

I don't want it to do poorly. I just want it to do okay. Then no one wins because both sides are ridiculous and then we can move onto Star Trek which I'm very excited for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

I don't want it to do poorly. I just want it to do okay. Then no one wins because both sides are ridiculous and then we can move onto Star Trek which I'm very excited for.

Eh, that works too