grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

6 minutes ago, Baumer said:

Those re some pretty big drops this weekend.  Slop about 52%, Dory about 48%, The V about the same.....why so big this weekend?  

Possibly Pokemon Go or a sense of fear from all that's going on in the world.

8 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Traditional animation is artistically & visually  limited, CGI movies have more depth, more complexity, a bigger color palette, astounding visual precision, incredible action, animation  and perspectives.

Characters look more alive, landscapes have no limitations, you can have giant crowds etc the only limit is your imagination.

There is a reason traditional animation died a very quick death with not a lot of people crying over it.

It was just a limited art form surpassed by a new,more complex & advanced film language with endless possibilities that is still evolving year after year.

Myazaki fans are either precious western cinephiles who think they see a delicate flower when they see a Ghibli film  or japanese citizens who actually truly understand the soul of Ghibli films because they are so imbued with the Japanese culture which is very peculiar.

So western cinephiles (the delicate flowers lovers) are in love with Ghibli because it s so different and exotic to them, it makes them feel special to be the only one in their entourage to "get" Ghibli movies ( it reinforces their superiority complex as the masters race of movie goers, Pixar & Disney are basic to them for the most part), which they really don't for the reason stated above.

The harsh reality is that outside of Japan, not a lot people really gives a crap about Ghibli and traditional animation anymore.

Renderman has won, sorry guys.

1 hour ago, Agafin said:

Late to the party but I wanted to say that, on the topic of 2D vs 3D animation, 2D will always be better to me. 3D animation basically has no soul imo. Trying to replace 2D with 3D would be like trying to replace a mother with an android progammed to be a mother.

Both of you need to get educated. smh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

GB is a decent opening but the budget is far to big, it will likely barely break even in the end if lucky. 

:(

I wish things were different. Seriously, I loved all four GBs (plus Kevin), and I truly want to see these characters in more adventures, but, unless a miraculous wom-fueled multiplier materializes, these utterly meh numbers will certainly not justify a sequel.

I am so depressed; I wish I had hated the movie...

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I wish things were different. Seriously, I loved all four GBs (plus Kevin), and I truly want to see these characters in more adventures, but, unless a miraculous wom-fueled multiplier materializes, these utterly meh numbers will certainly not justify a sequel.

I think from the start green lighting the film did not make sense.

Its not because it is male or female, high budget comedies have likely one of the worst rates of return in Hollywood

Making a Bridesmaid like film with the 4 actors would have been a smash hit instead. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think from the start green lighting the film did not make sense.

Its not because it is male or female, high budget comedies have likely one of the worst rates of return in Hollywood

Making a Bridesmaid like film with the 4 actors would have been a smash hit instead. 

If they were intent on gender-swapping/rebooting an eighties comedy, maybe they should've gone for one that was not so heavy on the FX (Three Amigos [ Four Amigas ]...Revenge of the Nerds?)  just so they did not spend so much money on it.

Oh, well.

It is what it is. :mellow:

The great conundrum for Ghostbusters is that it was probably ok to green-light it but not at the massive budget that they gave it. But then I guess if they didn't have the massive budget it wouldn't look like a Ghostbusters film. So what is the solution? One possible solution would have been not to make the movie in the first place. Another solution would have been to perhaps get the original cast to make the movie. Or an even better option would have been to make a hybrid of the two. Make a new Ghostbusters film where the original Ghostbusters actually existed. Make it so that New York City has been living with the Ghostbusters and now they are here to pass the torch on to the new Ghostbusters. In my opinion the direction that they took by pretending the first movie didn't exist at least story-wise, really messed up the entire film. That's just from my point of view.

• Like 2

Just now, Baumer said:

The great conundrum for Ghostbusters is that it was probably ok to green-light it but not at the massive budget that they gave it. But then I guess if they didn't have the massive budget it wouldn't look like a Ghostbusters film. So what is the solution? One possible solution would have been not to make the movie in the first place. Another solution would have been to perhaps get the original cast to make the movie. Or an even better option would have been to make a hybrid of the two. Make a new Ghostbusters film where the original Ghostbusters actually existed. Make it so that New York City has been living with the Ghostbusters and now they are here to pass the torch on to the new Ghostbusters. In my opinion the direction that they took by pretending the first movie didn't exist at least story-wise, really messed up the entire film. That's just from my point of view.

Best model on making a remake is SW7

Please the fanbase and introduce to a new generation. 

• Like 5

I'm not going to respond to all of Jedi Jones stuff except to say that in no way shape or form did Ghostbusters have anywhere near the fan base that Indy does. Indy has four movie, a TV series and written work. It stayed relevant over the years. Ghostbusters didnt.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rth said:

SLOP 19,7,WYNGC 16.2,LOT 4.6,FD 4.4, M&D 3, CI/ PYE 2.4, TI 2.1, BFG 1.5,IDR 1.2

That would mean an 11.3-11.4m weekend for Tarzan (-48%) and a 10.4-10.5m one for Dory (-50%).

And CI might register an under 30% drop. Amazing for it. 

So 130m for Tarzan and 135-140m for CI in the end. Really Good.

26 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

It's more important that you liked the movie though. 

With 19.7 on Sat, PETS needs 15.2 on Sun to get 50.

That's just a 22.84% Sun drop.

IO fell 23.3% and MINIONS fell 28.4%.

PETS fell just 22.3% last Sunday but that was OW.

IO and MINIONS fell 18.5% and 20.7% on their OW Sunday.

15.1 + 19.7 + 15.2 = 50

Will go a shade below 50 imo.

24% Sun drop will give 49.8

26% Sun drop will give 49.4

28% Sun drop will give 49.0

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

It's more important that you liked the movie though. 

I totally agree.

But that's the problem...I LOVED IT and I loved the characters...their interactions, their chemistry, the way that the plot brought them together, and the way the actresses seemed so at ease...but now I will probably never see them again.

Yes, I know that I will always have the DVD and I can re-watch it and enjoy it as many times as I want, but you know what I mean.

I just wish that I could see their further adventures. :)

I am not holding my breath, of course, but deep down inside, I wish that a miracle happened in terms of WOM...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baumer said:

I'm not going to respond to all of Jedi Jones stuff except to say that in no way shape or form did Ghostbusters have anywhere near the fan base that Indy does. Indy has four movie, a TV series and written work. It stayed relevant over the years. Ghostbusters didnt.

And the young have a better option :

6a00d83452033569e2017d4137ac45970c-600wi

B)B)

• Like 2