grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

First run Avengers heroes:

Iron Man - $318m

Thor - $181m

Ant-man - $180m

Captain America - $176m

Incredible Hulk - $134m

Strange is going to fall right in line with Thor, Antman and Cap.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hey we have polynesians, Jason Bourne, a boy and a NON-TALKING dragon, Denzel's cowboys, football, some chick on some train, and JLaw in space to potentially add to Star Wars, wizards, superheroes, and talking animals in the top 16. So HA, take that no diversity whiners!! :P

Moana and Pete aren't too different from what we've been getting. Also, I'm not convinced either will be in the top 10. I'm pretty surprised that so many have such high hopes for Moana. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it do well. Hawaii's my home state, so I'd love to see polynesians in the spotlight, but keep in mind, Lilo and Stitch would've translated to barely over 200 million today, and it was a summer release, and Stitch was friggin cute! I'm not too sure about Pete's dragon. Cowboys, thrillers, and Jlaw would be all pretty cool, but I doubt those will get the top 10. Heck, I'm afraid Mag 7 could lose to Storks on its OW.

Just now, UrosepsisFace said:

I'm pretty surprised that so many have such high hopes for Moana. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it do well. Hawaii's my home state, so I'd love to see polynesians in the spotlight, but keep in mind, Lilo and Stitch would've translated to barely over 200 million today, and it was a summer release, and Stitch was friggin cute!

You're forgetting one thing: Stitch came out when WDAS and 2D animation as a whole was already heading down the toilet. Moana comes out when the same studio is at the best position it's been since the early Renaissance days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Moana and Pete aren't too different from what we've been getting. Also, I'm not convinced either will be in the top 10. I'm pretty surprised that so many have such high hopes for Moana. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it do well. Hawaii's my home state, so I'd love to see polynesians in the spotlight, but keep in mind, Lilo and Stitch would've translated to barely over 200 million today, and it was a summer release, and Stitch was friggin cute! I'm not too sure about Pete's dragon. Cowboys, thrillers, and Jlaw would be all pretty cool, but I doubt those will get the top 10. Heck, I'm afraid Mag 7 could lose to Storks on its OW.

Funny you should bring up Lilo and Stitch, because I would use that as a primary argument for why Moana can crack 300. If it sells as many tickets as Lilo and Stitch and you add it 3D it would make along the lines of 240m. However, Lilo and Stitch hit in Disney's post-renaissance dark age, so their brand name wasn't very strong at the time. Moana has the benefit of opening when Disney animation's brand name is the strongest its been since Pocahontas' release. And you may say Pocahontas under-performed, but that was due to less than stellar reception and even "under-performing" it adjusts to nearly 300m today. So I think there are very good chances for Moana to hit that mark. 250 for sure. 

Also you said top 16 not top 10 in the post I quoted of yours, so that's what I was referring to for many of those other films. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Dr. Strange would have to be a GotG sized break out to beat Fantastic Beasts.

Odds of that happening are pretty slim.

It would be lucky to hit Winter Soldier numbers (around 250 m DOM).

Fantastic Beasts ain't hitting 300M

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

You're forgetting one thing: Stitch came out when WDAS and 2D animation as a whole was already heading down the toilet. Moana comes out when the same studio is at the best position it's been since the early Renaissance days.

Consider this then, yes Walt Disney Animation has had some great success this year with Zootopia and three years ago with Frozen, but Big Hero 6 which has super-heroes, based on comics from Marvel, only made 220 million in 2014. That movie was fantastic too! Wreck-It-Ralph, also a lot of fun, and having a video-game theme, didn't even hit 200 million in 2012. Disney this year, isn't exactly a guarantee. Alice might not have taken off even with good reviews. BFG had pretty good reviews hasn't dazzled at all. Moana will be in between Beasts and Rogue One, and Sing will arrive shortly after as well. Sing actually has talking animals, and even better...THEY SING!

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Doctor Strange is going to be the MCU's lowest grossing movie adjusted for inflation. 

Only 161 m DOM (The Incredible Hulk)?

That's horrendous for Marvel Studios. I think it'll be much closer to 200 m.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Funny you should bring up Lilo and Stitch, because I would use that as a primary argument for why Moana can crack 300. If it sells as many tickets as Lilo and Stitch and you add it 3D it would make along the lines of 240m. However, Lilo and Stitch hit in Disney's post-renaissance dark age, so their brand name wasn't very strong at the time. Moana has the benefit of opening when Disney animation's brand name is the strongest its been since Pocahontas' release. And you may say Pocahontas under-performed, but that was due to less than stellar reception and even "under-performing" it adjusts to nearly 300m today. So I think there are very good chances for Moana to hit that mark. 250 for sure. 

Also you said top 16 not top 10 in the post I quoted of yours, so that's what I was referring to for many of those other films. 

Disney is strong this year, but that's no guarantee for Moana's success. Alice and BFG are reminders that the studio doesn't have a strangle hold completely...yet. Just on animation, Big Hero 6 is a very recent reminder that even despite good reviews and strong WOM and even a super-hero theme, reaching 300 million is tough. Big Hero 6 didn't even reach 225 million.  Even from vaunted Pixar, The Good Dinosaur couldn't even reach 125 million, and that movie had a dinosaur theme. I'm not sure why Moana is considered closer to 300 million then the likes of Dr. Strange or Fantastic Beasts.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

It looks sillier than Ant-Man? Come on now....

It certainly hasn't had anything in the marketing to really hook the GA unlike Ant-Man marketing's snarky self awareness and Thomas the Train gag. Just a lot of weird shit happening in the trailers for no discernible reason. Inception it is not. 

9 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Consider this then, yes Walt Disney Animation has had some great success this year with Zootopia and three years ago with Frozen, but Big Hero 6 which has super-heroes, based on comics from Marvel, only made 220 million in 2014. That movie was fantastic too! Wreck-It-Ralph, also a lot of fun, and having a video-game theme, didn't even hit 200 million in 2012. Disney this year, isn't exactly a guarantee. Alice might not have taken off even with good reviews. BFG had pretty good reviews hasn't dazzled at all. Moana will be in between Beasts and Rogue One, and Sing will arrive shortly after as well. Sing actually has talking animals, and even better...THEY SING!

10 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

only made 220 million in 2014

:rofl: