grim22

Weekend Thread | Read first post for rules | Weekend #s: Pets 50.56M, GB 46M, Tarzan 11.1M, FTF 11M, MND 7.5M, Purge 6M

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Do tell?

Remember this?

On 6/17/2016 at 7:19 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Make what you will of this but someone on Reddit has seen the movie https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/4ojpr1/amy_adams_scifi_thriller_arrival_from_sicario/d4d81xn

He gives it a 7.5 (by comparison Sicario 9.5, Prisoners 8.5, Enemy 6)

The movie is nowhere near the tone of Sicario or Prisoners, it's closest to Enemy

It's a drama/romance with a sci-fi theme

The movie isn't arthouse but it isn't mainstream either

If the lack of mainstream appeal is true Paramount should do a NY/LA release on Christmas then expand in January before Oscar nominations like The Revenant. 

5 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Hey, 220 million is great for any film, but I don't see why the predictions of Moana at 300 million when Big Hero 6 did 220 million. BH6 was based on super-heroes, had a ton of praise, and faced weaker competition. Moana will be following Dr. Strange and Beasts and will be followed by Rogue One and Sing, Assassin's Creed, and Passengers.

Also, I think Sing is being highly underestimated. Talking animals is one thing. Animals singing pop songs will change everything. 

BH6 was based on such a niche comic though, and it kinda showed. Certainly not as mainstream leaning as your typical superhero film. Also, it skewed male which is not where the big hits are today. You gotta have that female audience, hence why Tangled and Frozen did better than Ralph and BH6. Moana should be set for girl appeal and The Rock's character at the forefront in the marketing ensures the boys aren't excluded either. 

Sing could go either way. It would be foolish to doubt Illumination (and talking animal) movies at this point, but at the same time it is coming at the very end of a massive year for animation. Right after Star Wars too. Maybe some fatigue will finally set in? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Remember this?

Isn't that a bit what Passengers is being touted as though? People are still predicting large numbers for that.

All right, enough of debating which animated/super-hero movies will rule the day. It's July. There's a pretty funny Ghostbusters movie out. Star Trek Beyond looks crazy awesome! Jason Bourne is about to return and kick some ass! Also, even if they're not making a lot of money, Swiss Army Man and Hunt for the Wilderpeople are both AWESOME! Also can't want to watch Howard teach Madame Florence Foster Jenkins how to sing.

i don't think billy lynn has the kind of older conservative appeal that american sniper or the blind side has. they're kinda hiding it in the trailers but the story is basically a satire of that sort of soldier worship nonsense. unless they changed a lot from the book, but ang lee doesn't strike me as the type to make some standard ooh-rah americana picture anyway.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i don't think billy lynn has the kind of older conservative appeal that american sniper or the blind side has. they're kinda hiding it in the trailers but the story is basically a satire of that sort of soldier worship nonsense. unless they changed a lot from the book, but ang lee doesn't strike me as the type to make some standard ooh-ray americana picture anyway.

If Hacksaw Ridge turns out to be as good as test screenings suggest, it can hurt Billy Lynn since it is a proper conservative appeal movie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

BH6 was based on such a niche comic though, and it kinda showed. Certainly not as mainstream leaning as your typical superhero film. Also, it skewed male which is not where the big hits are today. You gotta have that female audience, hence why Tangled and Frozen did better than Ralph and BH6. Moana should be set for girl appeal and The Rock's character at the forefront in the marketing ensures the boys aren't excluded either. 

Sing could go either way. It would be foolish to doubt Illumination (and talking animal) movies at this point, but at the same time it is coming at the very end of a massive year for animation. Right after Star Wars too. Maybe some fatigue will finally set in? 

I think Moana will suffer more from fatigue than Sing. I'm not sure if a polynesian girl befriending a demi-god will have as much girl-appeal as an underappreciated Pig singing Katy Perry.

7 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

I think Moana will suffer more from fatigue than Sing. I'm not sure if a polynesian girl befriending a demi-god will have as much girl-appeal as an underappreciated Pig singing Katy Perry.

Agreed. Moana will make this three BIG flops for Disney this calendar year, maybe a record?

This year, Disney may simultaneously have the best DOM box office ever, and the worst (in terms of big-budget flops) as well. 

Disney may need to follow everyone else's lead and make a few smaller-budget films. They don't ever seem to have any "Purge" type films that cost $10 million and make  $80m DOM. That's a very tidy profit for Universal even though it adds little to their yearly gross. With Disney, it's either "make $300m profit or swallow a $200m loss". 

Edited by SteveJaros

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

If Hacksaw Ridge turns out to be as good as test screenings suggest, it can hurt Billy Lynn since it is a proper conservative appeal movie.

On the other hand, it is a bigger uphill battle to climb: Mel Gibson.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

But Moana is opening when there will have been no direct competition for like 2 months. Sing will have had Moana and Star Wars hit its audience right before release. Makes much more sense to be the fatigue plagued one of the two to me. But again, I'm the last person that is going to doubt the super powers that are Illumination's marketing. So I still say 250+ for it. 

i don't think billy lynn has the kind of older conservative appeal that american sniper or the blind side has. they're kinda hiding it in the trailers but the story is basically a satire of that sort of soldier worship nonsense. unless they changed a lot from the book, but ang lee doesn't strike me as the type to make some standard ooh-rah americana picture anyway.

Haha, that I didn't know. But hey, Lee has a rock solid track record of these kind of Oscar bait flicks of his grossing 100+. He took a gay cowboy drama to 100m (adjusted) back when homophobia was still everywhere in the country.

And besides, dat Vin Diesel track record... :P

Edited by MovieMan89

5 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

2 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Agreed. Moana will make this three BIG flops for Disney this calendar year, maybe a record?

This year, Disney may simultaneously have the best DOM box office ever, and the worst (in terms of big-budget flops) as well. 

It's Disney. It has a Princess. It has more girl appeal than anything. No questions.

And lol at the thought that it could be a flop akin to Alice 2.

1 hour ago, Talkie said:

Ah, yes. The season of pretentious bore-a-thons is coming. Luckily for the studios, those colorful and entertaining talking animals and blockbusters earn enough let them fund mostly low-grossing Oscar-bait every fall. And since the Academy has diversified ever so slightly, maybe a few colored folks might get nominations this year. 

Who was talking about studios? I've lost faith in studios. This is the kind of cinematic experience I'm here for this Fall: