baumer

Wed #s (Asgard) Pets: 11.0 FTF: 2.6 LOT: 2.3

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'm confused... Does just apply to printing a free ticket stub? Or, is someone at the movie theater actually monitoring employees like a hawk? Why wouldn't you still able to watch anything you want sans a ticket?

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Well, if Disney catches them trying to break the rules, they'll never show Disney movies again.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

They might do a random sweep to see if contracts are being upheld.

@cannastop is right. It's just about printing the free stub. Take that for what you will, just make sure theatres are careful.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, parkerthegreat said:

Jungle Book to dollar theatres already, huh? Damn. It may not pass Deadpool after all. So much for my Disney Top 5 Domestic club. 

Disney still has a great chance of top five WW. JB still has Japan to reach a billion and Rogue One in December. I don't think Pets will reach a billion.

1 minute ago, Ocho said:

Disney still has a great chance of top five WW. JB still has Japan to reach a billion and Rogue One in December. I don't think Pets will reach a billion.

It would be a real stretch for The Jungle Book to get there, though. Around $65m from Japan. Doesn't happen that often.

20 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I don't really care about adjusted gross, this way of doing things is not accurate. The world changed since Shrek 2 and Dory has much more competition from other sources of entertainment such as Netflix, social networks, smartphones..and so on..So I'm fine with non-adjusted grosses that are more in line with these new realities.

IMO, the problem with this approach is that it just doesn't comport with a lived-experience assessment of how culturally "big" a given movie was. For example, if you go by nominal grosses, then the following are true:

Star Wars the Phantom Menace (1999) was bigger than Star Wars (1977)

Batman the Dark Knight (2008) was bigger than ET (1982)

American Sniper (2014) was bigger than Return of the Jedi (1983)

Meet the Fockers (2004) was bigger than Jaws (1975)

The Hangover II (2011) was bigger than Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

Now, if you were around for the original theatrical runs of all of those films (as I was), then you know with 100% certainty that all of the movies on the right hand side of the comparison were not just bigger, but WAY bigger than the corresponding films on the left hand side. None of them are even close. 

I mean "Meet The Fokkers" bigger than  "Jaws"? That should make anyone break out in hysterics!

And this isn't a case of me cherry-picking favorable examples. Go ahead, I bet you can't find any examples of films with lower nominal/higher adjusted grosses that really were "smaller" than ones with larger nominal/smaller adjusted grosses. Because even factoring in changing cultural entertainment options, the adjusted grosses do a much better job of capturing the cultural size of a film than do the nominal grosses.

Again, I have never liked Shrek 2. I'm a huge fan of Disney theme parks and that film satirized them cheaply, IMO. But if you remember the summer of 2004, you know it was BIG. Big at almost the same level as The Avengers and Jurassic World. It was the biggest DOM box office hit in a 9-year span between Star Wars PM in 1999 and Dark Knight in 2008. Dory is big, but not that big, not yet at least. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Baumer said:

Conjuring passes 100

Shallows will.pass 50 this weekend.

Lights out looks to be tracking well.

Good summer for horror.

Don't forget Purge: Election Year, currently at $64m in 13 days.

Great summer for horror, phew! The genre needed it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Don't forget Purge: Election Year, currently at $64m in 13 days.

Great summer for horror, phew! The genre needed it.

You're right...but for some reason Purge doesn't seem horror to me anymore.  I always forget it when talking horror films.  Just seems more action/suspense to me.....but yes, it is listed as horror and I should know this. :)

21 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I don't really care about adjusted gross, this way of doing things is not accurate. The world changed since Shrek 2 and Dory has much more competition from other sources of entertainment such as Netflix, social networks, smartphones..and so on..So I'm fine with non-adjusted grosses that are more in line with these new realities.

Competition, competition,competition blah blah blah...............

blame everything in competition is so irresponsible to unprofessional

Competition exist everywhere and anytime, they barely become more intense, they just change the way of presentation or form of existence. 

In the past, cinema need to compete with pirated VCD and DVD while now is illegal download piracy, former were hard copies while latter are soft copies, they are both same, competition~ 

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Competition, competition,competition blah blah blah...............

blame everything in competition is so irresponsible to unprofessional

Competition exist everywhere and anytime, they barely become more intense, they just change the way of presentation or form of existence. 

In the past, cinema need to compete with pirated VCD and DVD while now is illegal download piracy, former were hard copies while latter are soft copies, they are both same, competition~ 

There are much more options than before in terms of entertainment that's undeniable, and our free time isn't unlimited so they eat away at each other.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

There are much more options than before in terms of entertainment that's undeniable, and our free time isn't unlimited so they eat away at each other.

so to the ways for studio to promote their films, so to the number of people around the country(population).

Ya, more entertainment now while the leisure time is still limited but some of the entertainment forms has diminish like PS, gameboy, funfair and so on, like I said, many things in this world would never disappear, they just being replaced, or change the form of existence, or fragmented. they are all contemporary....      

22 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

What i want to say is, we can't totally ignore the inflation, especially when we are analysing the movie industry.

Like 1st star wars earned $300m back then in 1977 and it was revolutionary, and the firm of nation/generation, the 2016's $300m would not been a huge cultural phenomenal or equivalent impact like $300m in 1977. Here, we need to take into account of adjusted inflation figure to help us to examine how big it was.

my rule of thumb would be +- 5 years, the movies that released 5 year ago or ahead wouldn't not subjected to inflation adjustment.    

IO did 9.48m on 1st Thu and had good Fri and Sat bumps (for summer) for a 52.3m 2nd weekend.

MINIONS did 9.48m on 1st Thu and did 49.3m in the 2nd weekend.

So I think PETS needs to do ~9.5m on Thu to touch 50m this weekend in face of GB.

(9.5m is a 13.6% drop from Wed)

Edited by a2knet

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

IO did 9.48m on 1st Thu and had good Fri and Sat bumps (for summer) for a 52.3m 2nd weekend.

MINIONS did 9.48m on 1st Thu and did 49.3m in the 2nd weekend.

So I think PETS needs to do ~9.5m on Thu to touch 50m this weekend in face of GB.

(9.5m is a 13.6% drop from Wed)

Good thing it did $10.5m on Thursday =)

Edited by nilephelan
  • Like 3