Fancyarcher

Fences - December 16th release, goes wide on Christmas

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'm too lazy to watch the trailer but a director should be able to transcend a "theatrical" feel. If Glengarry Glen Ross can feel like cinema every step of the way there's no reason this shouldn't. 

Some plays just don't lend themselves to movies, or can't fully overcome their stage origins. Take August: Osage County, for example. Hard to make people yelling at each other for two hours nonstop feel very cinematic.

14 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Casey Affleck has a similar past as Nate Parker if not worse. 

But he is white and his brother is powerful in hollywood, so he gets away with it.

1) no he doesn't and 2) thanks for playing this week's game of Trying It.

That article was completely orchestrated and timed for release by The Daily Beast btw. Just goes to show that Oscar campaigning is becoming just as bad as political campaigning.

19 minutes ago, filmlover said:

1) no he doesn't and 2) thanks for playing this week's game of Trying It.

That article was completely orchestrated and timed for release by The Daily Beast btw. Just goes to show that Oscar campaigning is becoming just as bad as political campaigning.

honestly don't see a problem with reminding people that casey affleck's a shitbag. seems weird to me that people are quicker to rush to his defense on this.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly don't see a problem with reminding people that casey affleck's a shitbag. seems weird to me that people are quicker to rush to his defense on this.

I honestly don't care either way, especially when the case was settled out of court years ago. My point still stands: Oscar campaigning is becoming more and more vicious each year. Especially when that article was likely only generated for hits in the first place.

Just now, filmlover said:

I honestly don't care either way, especially when the case was settled out of court years ago. My point still stands: Oscar campaigning is becoming more and more vicious each year. Especially when that article was likely only generated for hits in the first place.

the nate parker articles were for clicks too. pretty much any celeb story is. again seems weird that you were all "wow, fuck this guy" or whatever in the birth of a nation thread but here you're like "jeez, oscar campaigning sure is harsh."

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

the nate parker articles were for clicks too. pretty much any celeb story is. again seems weird that you were all "wow, fuck this guy" or whatever in the birth of a nation thread but here you're like "jeez, oscar campaigning sure is harsh."

Nate Parker set up his own interviews well before Birth of a Nation opened and the aftermath that followed caused the film to die before it even opened.

But mostly the timing of it is just suspect. Why not even two months ago? Affleck's been a frontrunner for the nom since it screened at Sundance. The only way the story catches on is if there are more victims waiting to reveal themselves (even though, as we've seen in this hellish election, that unfortunately might not even matter).

eh, being grumpy about the timing still makes no sense to me. if there are articles reminding people sean penn is a piece of shit before every sean penn movie opens that's fine by me. there are people who don't wanna give their money to projects that involve garbage people which is fair to me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Nate Parker set up his own interviews well before Birth of a Nation opened and the aftermath that followed caused the film to die before it even opened.

But mostly the timing of it is just suspect. Why not even two months ago? Affleck's been a frontrunner for the nom since it screened at Sundance. The only way the story catches on is if there are more victims waiting to reveal themselves (even though, as we've seen in this hellish election, that unfortunately might not even matter).

Harvey Weinstein has the answer...