baumer

Weekend #s STB 59.6M, Pets 29.3M, GB and LO 21.6M, IA5 21M

Didn't think Ice Age would tank this hard. The series's been running on fumes since the third one but it's honestly still a bit sad to see.

Hoping Star Trek can hold well like Ant-Man/MI5 since I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely liked it more than Into Darkness.

Is it just me or...

Is STiD not even necessary viewing for this new series. Other than it is in my opinion a great movie and pretty enjoyable, I think it's possible to go from 09 trek straight to beyond without any story "glitches".

Or am I missing something?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think it's safe to say, you can only take Star Trek so far with general audiences.

JJ Abrams really tried though.

I'd say he succeeded. Heck, he made the best blockbuster, and one of the best films period of 2009.

After re-watching the 2009 film two days ago, I was reminded of just how badly Paramount botched their opportunity to make Star Trek a mammoth franchise. On top of how ridiculously entertaining it is (it even made my top ten list that year!), it sets the stage almost perfectly for future installments, and momentum clearly appeared to be swinging in their favor after the film performed so well at the box office. All quibbles with quality aside, I think it may have been a different story if Paramount had pushed for Abrams to do Into Darkness for 2011 instead of Super 8; waiting an additional two years allowed for too much of the audience momentum and goodwill to dissipate.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, babz06 said:

Average numbers all around. The only real over performer looks like Lights Out. The next horror film(Don't Breathe)  comes out at the end of August, so it  has time to make all of its money.

Next weekend Bad Moms is the one to watch out for, an undeserved audience  (25+ females) will probably come out in full force.

Bad Moms looks like it'll do poor numbers. 

9 minutes ago, James said:

Is it weird that I am so anxious for an event taking place thousands of miles away (Comic Con)?:lol: It's like Christmas Day. I am sooooooo excited.

Between DC and Marvel I'm so hyped for today. 

I feel it will be a bit too tough for STB to do 60M.

Will need 21M on Sat after a 17M True Friday.

5.5 + 17.0 + 20.0 + 15.5 = 58M looks more like it.

5.5 + 17.0 + 20.5 + 16.0 = 59M maybe.

Might need a sub-20% drop on Sunday to get 60M (could happen but tough).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, John Marston said:

think the only way to get an increase is if you bring back Shatner or the Next Generation cast in the plot

I don't think either of those would cause an increase. Seems like it'd just be diehards who would care, and they're probably seeing it anyway. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, James said:

Actually, I'm more excited for Fantastic Beasts, Dunkirk and Arthur than for DC or Marvel. :lol:

Between the Netflix Marvel and Walking Dead trailers I already feel spoiled and I haven't even got anything from the film side yet. 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wish these new Star Trek movies had better villains. They've wasted the talents of Eric Bana, Benedict Cumberbatch, and now Idris Elba as generic bad guys.

Cumberbatch had good material I thought, but the film gets sidetracked with the 30 minutes where Peter Weller pretends to be the villain so we're deprived of a lot of hammy Khan. Even still, I'd put him as the best of the 3 main villains (the obvious racial miscast aside).

STiD I thought needed a plot rewrite from the core. The "militarization of Starfleet" theme was undercooked and ended up going nowhere, and the result is the film spinning its wheels until it feels like letting Khan finally reveal his true colors for about 5 minutes before he gets hoodwinked by Spock.

I would be very surprised if Trek hit $60 million for the weekend. For comparison's sake, the 2009 film had about a 2.80 multiplier (and that's with the Thursday preview numbers already being taken out of the film's weekend gross), and that one opened in early May. If Beyond were to repeat that preview-free multiplier, it would land at $53 million for the weekend once the preview gross is added back.

Edited by Webslinger

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I don't think either of those would cause an increase. Seems like it'd just be diehards who would care, and they're probably seeing it anyway. 

What if they add Ghostbusters superstar, Chris Hemsworth?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

What if they add Ghostbusters superstar, Chris Hemsworth?

They already are adding him.

And the thought of Chris's Hemsworth and Pine interacting like father and son makes me laugh so hard that it needs to happen.