MinaTakla

Weekend Thread | Bourne 60M, Trek 24M, Bad Moms 23.4M, Pets 18.2M

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Yep.    Bourne went from the 15th to the 29th and then Trek followed later moving from the 8th to the 22nd (King Arthur moved but that was no reason to take that date) after Bourne's move gave them breathing room. 

http://www.slashfilm.com/bourne-5-release-date/

And JB was originally dated 14-Aug-15 before moving to jul-2016 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

In hindsight, I am sure the Sony execs are angry they ever courted the controversy head on and made it the cornerstone of their marketing campaign for the movie. It made the movie way too polarizing and toxic to discuss. They really expected the controversy to boost the box office a lot.

The "controversy" became too toxic to ignore. All time low trailer ratings? Come on. The fact the movie got a bunch of low ratings from IMDB voters before the film even opened and after the good reviews came in just goes to show that said group was always going to be a whiny bunch.

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

A shame about Ghostbusters. One of the better movies this year.

Yeah, although it's hard to blame WOM this weekend when Bad Moms targeted the same main audience as GB was. I really hope it can salvage its run a bit with good late legs from here. Emphasizing the feminist crap in the marketing was just so dumb. It's a movie that I feel either gender of a wide age range can enjoy. 

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

The "controversy" became too toxic to ignore. All time low trailer ratings? Come on. The fact the movie got a bunch of low ratings from IMDB voters before the film even opened and after the good reviews came in just goes to show that said group was always going to be a whiny bunch.

There was a time to effectively address it, which was way before the first trailer was ever released. Sony should have tried a fan outreach from day 1 before the voices grew louder. Look at what WB have done with Justice League, instead of letting baseless rumors swirl, they confronted the rumors head on by inviting the biggest critics to the set and just talking to them. That is being proactive there. I am sure there were things which could have been done early in the process to get the fans on Sony's side instead of always treating the fans of the original movie in a confrontational manner. 

By the time the trailer came out, it was far too late to begin that process. Granted, it would not have helped with the whiniest of the bunch, but showing that the studio loves the property just as much as fandom does is becoming more and more important nowadays and would have assuaged most of the complainers, there are always pockets of fans who have no hope of being converted ever.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, although it's hard to blame WOM this weekend when Bad Moms targeted the same main audience as GB was. I really hope it can salvage its run a bit with good late legs from here. Emphasizing the feminist crap in the marketing was just so dumb. It's a movie that I feel either gender of a wide age range can enjoy. 

Indeed. Unless you're an MRA (lol) or decided you hated the movie from day one no matter what, I fail to see how anyone wouldn't enjoy the movie.

The problem with Ghostbusters is that instead of allowing the quality of the film speak for itself, Sony engaged in the childish behavior that was being directed at them. Throwing insults at people who are already offended (for no reason) isn't going to make them want to watch your film. It's just going to make them more proactive in hating your film and making sure to say anything negative about the film. That's not a smart a business move no matter how you wanna slice it. 

• Like 2

While driving today, I heard a radio ad for "Florence Foster Jenkins" which started "Come watch the movie which has earned a 92% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes". First time I have heard a movie ad lead with Rotten Tomatoes.

Just now, grim22 said:

While driving today, I heard a radio ad for "Florence Foster Jenkins" which started "Come watch the movie which has earned a 92% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes". First time I have heard a movie ad lead with Rotten Tomatoes.

Star Trek 2016. 

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Florence flopped here in the Uk so I wouldn't expect much. 

I feel like I'm in a weird place listening and reading the reports about Star Trek - do the writers for the major BO sites no take into account release patters and times of year any more? I am not denying that -60% isn't harsh it totally is and its about 2m off of what I had expected for the weekend (26m) but you cannot compare a second weekend with no boost (STB) to a 2nd weekend that fell on a holiday from an opening weekend that had 1.5 days to burn off demand prior to "opening." Its the same with Ghostbusters as well where it seems like the collective bloggers have just banded together on a story and no matter what the expectations should have been (anyone in their right mind expecting 200+ for either film a month before release was crazy) the films can't do anything right.

*rant* over

and it's weird because I have only been able to see 2 films so far this summer so it's not like I can judge on quality or content for much of anything but its always nicer when we can be positive about things and not so negative.

• Like 1

Jason Bourne projections:

Weekend 2: 26.2M (-56.4%) cum 111.6M

Weekend 3: 14.3M (-45.4%) cum 137.9M

Weekend 4: 9.0M (-37.3%) cum 153.5M

Weekend 5: 5.9M (-34%) cum 163.0M

Weekend 6 (3-Day): 5.1M (-13.6%)

Weekend 6 (4-Day): 6.6M (+11.6%) cum 171.9M

Weekend 7: 2.7M (-47.7%) cum 175.6M

Weekend 8: 1.8M (-32.1%) cum 178.5M

DOM: 181.614M (3.027x)

WW: 643.993M (71.8% foreign share)

Updated Star Trek projections:

Weekend 3: 11M (-54.2%) cum: 132.5M

Weekend 4: 6.9M (-36.9%) cum 147.2M

Weekend 5: 4.3M (-37.4%) cum 156.1M

Weekend 6: 2.8M (-35.4%) cum 161.5M

Weekend 7 (3-Day): 2.6M (-7.5%)

Weekend 7 (4-Day): 3.5M (+125%) cum 166.7M

DOM: 177.436M (2.995x)

WW: 407.899M (56.5% foreign share)

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Looks like a 275M WW finish at best for Ghostbusters currently.

I think this movie will barely make 200 million worldwide. It may fail to make 100 million overseas. With only 6 markets left, I don't see this movie making more 48 million overseas ( it's at 52 million now ). Forget it.

Domestic grosses are unpredictable. Once Suicide Squad gets released, we'll see the drops for everything. I predict a 62-65% drop for Ghostbusters. 130 million not happening . Maybe 120 million will be possible.  80-90 million overseas. Total of 200-210 million worldwide.

For a movie with a budget of 144 million + 100 million spent for marketing,  200-210 million worldwide will be a disaster. That's zero profit for Sony, by the way. This is the same Sony that didn't like how TASM 2 made 700 million worldwide and smoked the series. They better hope Spider Man Homecoming makes a huge money, lol.

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's going to be another Ricki and the Flash at the box office.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

So @mahnamahna- if estimates hold and Pets gets close to 18.5M this weekend, where do you see it ending its run at right now?

cc: @a2knet

$10.5 million ($317 million)

$5 million ($325 million)

$3 million ($328 million)

$2.25 million ($331 million)

$3 million/$3.75 million ($335 million)

$342-347 million DOM is my range since I see it having a lengthy second-run showing. All around, a solid run. How about you @MinaTakla? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Mostly. When they show the list of programs hacked, the program from Bourne Legacy is included as one of them.

From what I remember, all three programs are shown: Outcome, LARX, and Emerald Lake

Honestly wouldn't mind another Renner one now that I finally got the Bourne 4 I wanted - as long as he meets up with Matt Damon halfway through the movie. Keep Renner the protagonist though

1 minute ago, Blanks McCoy said:

From what I remember, all three programs are shown: Outcome, LARX, and Emerald Lake

Honestly wouldn't mind another Renner one now that I finally got the Bourne 4 I wanted - as long as he meets up with Matt Damon halfway through the movie. Keep Renner the protagonist though

Universal have done everything to pretend that Bourne Legacy does not even exist, would genuinely surprise me if they do a sequel to the Renner movie anytime soon.

• Like 1