CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

2 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Thinking 135m now.

I'm hoping for a big-ass drop next weekend. That's what this piece of shit deserves.

CinemaScore crowds under 35 gave Suicide Squad an A-, while 76% females gave it an A-. 

Too many ppl love this "piece of shit".
You better get used to it.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Baumer said:

So the secret life of pets as another fantastic hold this weekend. Itll be close to 320 and will definitely have a good march to 350.

Where do you think it will end at? Below or above IO's 356m? I can't tell for sure until maybe we see the weekend figure. 

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MrPink said:

It is about World War II. Basically a British retreat from France, which had it not been successful could have been a catastrophic loss for the British Army and could have paved the way for an easy invasion of Britain by the hands of Germany.

Yep. Basically 300,000+ British, French, and Belgian soldiers trapped and surrounded by Germans who inexplicably didn't try to finish the job, getting on boats to cross the English Channel.

So @ecstasy, think of it as the world's longest waiting line on film, only with planes and tanks trying to murder the people waiting in line.

• Like 1

This might be a small sample but I asked 12 people from work who'd seen SS and 11 of them said they liked/loved it. I think GA might be kinder to the movie than fans/critics. I give it 7-7.5/10 myself. It's flawed but captivating and fun.

Btw.. I have a free movie ticket which movie should I pick between Lights Out, the Shallows and Tarzan?

Edited by KATCH-2D2
  • Like 6

9 minutes ago, KATCH-2D2 said:

This might be a small sample but I asked 12 people from work who'd seen SS and 11 of them said they liked/loved it. I think GA might be kinder to the movie than fans/critics. I give it 7-7.5/10 myself. It's flawed but captivating and fun.

Btw.. I have a free movie ticket which movie should I pick between Light Out, the Shallow and Tarzan?

LIGHTS OUT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

B+ Cinemascore

Save. Me. Jesus

The Amazing Spider-Man - A-

The Avengers - A+

Avengers: Age of Ultron - A

Batman Begins - A

The Dark Knight - A

The Dark Knight Rises - A

Man of Steel - A-

Spider-Man - A-

Spider-Man 2 - A-

Spider-Man 3 - B+

Superman Returns - B+

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - B+

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - B

Catwoman - B

Daredevil - B

Elektra - B

Fantastic Four - B

FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer - B

Such wonderful company it's in. The Amazing Spiderman 2, Spider-man 3 and Superman Returns....all franchise killers.  

Also they need a special category for films like Catwoman and Fantastic Four. BvS doesn't deserve to be mixed in with those two pieces of crap and this is coming from someone who didn't even like it. 

Just wanted to comment on some of these statistics for Suicide Squad et all and how unpredictable it will be.

Only about 4% were said to be affected by critic ratings. Yeah, the fanboys watch these movies initially, so that's totally expected. However, I'd like to point out, the 20% difference between Dory and SLOP on RT not really making that huge of a difference on how they've dropped from week to week. I'd also like to point out Tarzan vs Star Trek Beyond. Nice Guys and Popstar vs Me Before You. RT still has an effect, for sure, but I'd expect more and more exceptions in the future.

About 40% of the audience were Latino and African American? Is it common to give ethnic ratios from these surveys? I know ethnicity is a likely question, but I don't recall the media ever reporting this, even for movies that were meant to raise awareness of the history or concerns of a particular ethnicity. Why was this so significant for Suicide Squad? 

Tmobile Friday. I really wish we could get a figure of how much money came from redeemed codes. Online tickets seem to be a minority percentage, and the tmobile tickets must be just a small percentage of that, but much was made of Warcrafts earlier success as credited to this same promotion.

High ratings by the under 35. This whole time I keep thinking the weird militants on the internet are the next generation built from life-long online troll training, and the loudest ones are the most negative. I understand younger folk tend to give higher scores, but I keep expecting poorer scores from the young rather than the old in situations of wide-spread hate. Ghostbusters and Suicide Squad makes me think that the loud hate from the internet doesn't come from the kids as much as I thought, or those trolls never showed up to theaters to be surveyed. I'm guessing that's part of the factor, and that there's probably a greater proportion of hate coming from 40 YO militants who navigated the infancy of the internet and trolling :). NM, I know the jaded elderly have a better perspective of all the nuances that make a good movie, such as plot and strong editing.

Olympics factor: I don't know how much it affected movies, but the restaurants/clubs I've seen yesterday had subdued business. I can't imagine the customers of these establishments being opening ceremony fans, so I guess some other factor drew them away, but I don't recall there being other major events this weekend...

IMAX factor: a month+ at IMAX is good for legs?

Summer factor: the under 35 giving this movie its highest ratings = stronger weekdays since the under 18 might not be in school yet?

Lack of competition: One can argue the August movies don't offer strong competition, but the July movies do. Well, look at those expected percentage drops. Strange how RT score and good WOM and built up good will is failing STB to some degree. 

Btw, Harley Quinn booty shorts can be both a blessing and a curse! Seems like any age, body type, ethnicity, and gender have put these on to varying effect. **BEWARE**, theater goers...you may see strange things at the theater this weekend that you had not originally bargained for...

Edited by UrosepsisFace
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I could see Wonder Woman suffering from poor editing/pacing because why not?  but just from seeing the trailer and knowing that Johns co-wrote the script I'm confident that it will definitely be an accurate portrayal of Wonder Woman as a character.  I'm also confident in the action sequences. Less confident in the dialogue.  The tone will be pretty light and I'm  fine with that, it's Wonder Woman.

I would think at worst Wonder Woman is a strong (both in fighting skill/abilities and internally) and powerful badass female in a generic but fun action romp.   Will that be enough for critics? I say yes. Will it be enough for GA?  I say yes.

Critics will not trash a "feminist" property like Wonder Woman.

It's floor just for existing will be 2 1/2 stars right off the bat.  

If reviews like the NYT one for Ghostbusters didn't convince one that politics is a main driver of raves/pans, then nothing will.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, KATCH-2D2 said:

Btw.. I have a free movie ticket which movie should I pick between Light Out, the Shallow and Tarzan?

Tarzan and Lights Out are great!!!!

• Like 1

SLOP 319.5M after a 11.5M weekend

Weekends:

Giving a 40% drop next weekend just because : 7M

In all the other weekends combined including dollar bump: 10M

So 319.5 + 7 + 10 = 336.5M

Weekdays:

Giving 40% drop for coming Mon-Thu 6.6M (down from 11M this week's Mon-Thu)

In all the other weekends combined including dollar bumps: 9.4M

So 336.5 + 6.6 + 9.4 = 352.5M

IO's 356M is within reach.

Edited by a2knet

48 minutes ago, KATCH-2D2 said:

You can't go wrong with any of the films. I liked Lights Out and The Shallows a lot better than Tarzan though. 

• Like 1