CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

10 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Rank this year's  comic book movies in quality 

1. Civil War

2. Deadpool

I  had to think about these last 3 

3.Suicide Squad

4.Batman V Superman

5.X-Men Apocalypse 

I'm  fully expecting Strange to land at 3 or 4

1.CW

2.Deadpool

3.BvS

4.Apacolypse

Haven't seen SS

Just now, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Well they did heavily market The Joker. Suicide Squad was basically sold as a Batman-esque film, and it worked. Now lets see if DC can sell their other characters well.

Exactly, it's essentially a Batman Spin-Off film.  But David kept that dark nolan/burton esque style quailty to it.  But he also brought his own sense of realism that is seen in all the cop drama he's written.  Batman's small cameo and Joker basically supporting role in the background instead of up front like Jack and Heath gave them a chance to bring in more general audience.  But the Batman and Joker dynamic did not drive the story once it got going. So yes Joker, Batman brought awareness but  I think the Squad's chemistry is what's really appealing to audiences.  With Will, Jared, Margot and Viola all knocking it out the park. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jandrew said:

So with that opening its likely SS will crack $300 and the $200's will yet again be skipped huh? 

We may not get a $200m movie until 10-11 months into the YEAR. 

The box office Gini coeffienct is real. Mid range is dying.

Spielberg  was right. 

• Like 2

I think sub-135 is unlikely :

-I used 64.5 as OD. So have assumed OD is over-estimated by 0.6m.

-Gave it a 10% drop from true Friday on Sat (-38.6% from full Friday) : 10% down from true Fri is also a bit pessimistic.

-Gave a 26% drop on Sunday. Again, could do much better as it's an OW Sunday in summer.

20.5 + 44 + 39.6 + 29.3 = 133.4

If any one of the factors is not true, the cascading effect will put it closer to 135 and maybe over.

Hunch is 20.5 + 44 + 42 + 31.5 = 138

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

1. Civil War

2. Deadpool

3.Suicide Squad

4.Batman V Superman

5.X-Men Apocalypse 

I believe the year provided us with a good mix.

Personally, I found BvS as easily the best film and the only one that felt original. X-Men had its faults, but it evoked a lot of strong comic elements from when comics were good. I basically ask myself, would this be something special if it were a comic? BvS, i would say yes. X-Men Apoc, maybe. 

The rest? They're okay for their first showing, I guess, but basically equivalent to a Transformers experience: fun but nothing special.

Top CBMs, going by my own criteria would include Iron Man, Iron Man 3, TWS, First Class, MoS, and TDK.

Interestingly, I hear a lot of people saying BvS and X-Men Apoc are the least true to the source materials and continue to be ashamed of its background. I'm wondering if these people have ever read comics...

Looking forward to Dr. Strange.

49 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Fox must be seeing what a horrible missed opprotunity Apocalypse was this year. :apocalypse:

Seriously... holy crap, other than Apocalypse, not a single CBM has opened below 130M this year!

Well Strange  won't open up to a 100m

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I think sub-135 is unlikely :

-I used 64.5 as OD. So have assumed OD is over-estimated by 0.6m.

-Gave it a 10% drop from true Friday on Sat (-38.6% from full Friday) : 10% down from true Fri is also a bit pessimistic.

-Gave a 26% drop on Sunday. Again, could do much better as it's an OW Sunday in summer.

20.5 + 44 + 39.6 + 29.3 = 133.4

If any one of the factors is not true, the cascading effect will put it closer to 135 and maybe over.

Hunch is 20.5 + 44 + 42 + 31.5 = 138

I expect 140ish. 

• Like 3

If y'all wanna complain about parking lots...

The parking lot at our theatre isn't exactly big, so it fills up nearly every Friday/Saturday/Tuesday. And every night we get complaints from people who don't want to park too far away. Last night I was in box office and some lady ran out of her car, which she left in the middle of the road, and no word of a lie started yelling at me about how she had just driven from her home and now did not want to have to walk from the next parking lot over to see a movie.

Tell her you're trying to save wildlife

17 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

1. Civil War

2. Deadpool

3.Suicide Squad

4.Batman V Superman

5.X-Men Apocalypse 

1. Captain America: Civil War 5/5

2. Deadpool 4.5/5

3. Suicide Squad 4/5

4. BvS UC 2.5/5

5. BvS 2/5

6. X-Men: Apocalypse 1/5

Yeah and I think Doctor Strange will land between the 2nd to 4ths spot. 

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Spielberg  was right. 

Spielberg started it

Animals-Shark-icon.png

This year his expensive movie that should probably have had half the budget is one of the biggest B.O. misfires. 

He's also producing stuff like Transformers and JW so maybe he should stop. :P

Just now, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Depends on what area you live in to.. NY and L.A might have different, more enthusiastic crowds for this while a City like St.Louis clearly gives 0 fucks about this based on how empty the place looks at Noon when I drove by.. Good for you if it's wrapping the line around your building.. It's not here.. Hope that clears this up??? :sadben:

I live in Baltimore. 

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

No and I'm not sure I will see it in theaters. Pretty disappointed to hear that the Joker was almost entirely cut from the film. 

If you think we share any kind of similar love for BTAS, please do it. Stop reading about it and just go, I think you won't regret it. You shouldn't even be here, dude. I seriously think BOTH Joker and Batman work beautifully here. GO.

• Like 1

Just now, iJackSparrow said:

If you think we share any kind of similar love for BTAS, please do it. Stop reading about it and just go, I think you won't regret it. You shouldn't even be here, dude. I seriously think BOTH Joker and Batman work beautifully here. GO.

It would probably be next week sometime. I'm at a point where I avoid movies on opening weekend. Had a horrible experience with BvS in a crowded theater and a screaming 2 year old. Smaller audience is a better fit for me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It would probably be next week sometime. I'm at a point where I avoid movies on opening weekend. Had a horrible experience with BvS in a crowded theater and a screaming 2 year old. Smaller audience is a better fit for me. 

Here it were mostly women and a hell lot of teenagers. It's a film for a different generation than ours, and I love it. Love love LOVE both Batman and Joker in here. It's flawed, but it's NO MoS or BvS.

• Like 1