CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

I just read the last few pages and gosh, I am so glad I missed this shit! And thinking before the weekend I wanted to cancel my trip for this!! Now I am so happy I avoided a CERTAIN meltdown + had a lot of fun.

As for SS, it is a success regardless and that's enough for me.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The Bourne Sunday drop seems harsh does anyone else think

Last Sunday it dropped 24% which was more than OW Sunday drops of MI5(20.8%) and TREK3(20.9%)

On the 2nd Sunday MI5 dropped 28.8%.

42 minutes ago, a2knet said:

IM2 did not destory IM1, TREK2(STID) did not destroy TREK1 :) (other examples like HTTYD2, SM2, KFP2)

We don't know what will happen. I was rewatching GOTG, which I had liked a lot, and it did not hold up for some reason (of course, IMO). Sometimes the novelty factor wears off.

I can see it falling short of GOTG1 or go over just a small amount, say 125-130-135/2.5x/312-325-338.

I really liked GotG on first showing, but it absolutely doesn't hold up for me either. However, IM2 and STID did not have Baby Groot. It's the cuteness factor that's the winning effect of GotG, and in GotG the cutest character is like 10x cuter. I think it could surpass Marvel's other big IP, the action+cgi oriented Iron Man and Avengers. That's why the whole argument of A-list, B-list, and C-list characters holds no weight with me. Baby Groot could be the most popular character in 2017 above Wonder Woman, Thor, Hulk, Batman, and Flash.

9 minutes ago, James said:

I just read the last few pages and gosh, I am so glad I missed this shit! And thinking before the weekend I wanted to cancel my trip for this!! Now I am so happy I avoided a CERTAIN meltdown + had a lot of fun.

As for SS, it is a success regardless and that's enough for me.

Where is this? Scenery looks a bit like British Colombia. I love it when you get mountains coming straight from the water, always looks like something straight out of a fantasy film.

The Sunday drop 4 Suicide Squad is a good projection. 20% is even a little bit higher than a lot of films drop in August on their first Sunday.

And whatever poster said that they don't pay attention to monthly records They just go by opening weekends that is an asinine comment. There's a reason why no film in the history of the month of August has opened Beyond 100 million. Now suicide squad has destroyed that record so you have to at least acknowledge that.

Great hold for Pets and Moms. Pets really has a shot at passing IO. Mom's could still do 100 mill.

And still...FTSBF 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Where is this? Scenery looks a bit like British Colombia. I love it when you get mountains coming straight from the water, always looks like something straight out of a fantasy film.

You're just a few thousand miles away:lol: It's somewhere in the in the Carpathian Mountains. And yeah, that picture doesn't do justice to that place. It's stunning. Been hiking all day yesterday. It was tiring as hell but so awesome!   

• Like 3

Can we get off of the boring topic of Suicide Squad and its negative effect on Jason Bourne and Star Trek Beyond. The real story is Lights Out, which looks like it will cross 60 million next weekend. Wasn't this thing projected at cum of 25m? And the Enchantress was much cooler in it than Suicide Squad!

Just learnt that Will Smith's next is Collateral Beauty releasing on the same day as Rouge One.

Strong cast - Smith, Kate Winslet, Keira Knightely, Helen Mirren, Edward Norton, Michael Peña, Naomie Harris.

Counter programmers or suicide squad?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

GOTG 2 gross will likely increase WW, same with Thor 3 and such.

I don't think it's a given GOTG2 increases WW. There's a good chance it diminishes domestically, and current XRs don't favor an automatic OS boost (let alone one to cover the possible loss from domestic).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Well, it'll get to 200M, but how far past 200M is the Question.. It's not touching 300M and I'm skeptical of 250M to be honest.. Flat out, this movie just looks like shit.. I drove past the Theatre around 11:30AM and there was around 20 cars in the lot.. That's never a good sign folks...

Was that over or under the amount of cars you saw yesterday when you drove by at noon? 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Suicide Squad is a success no matter how bad the legs end up being.

However I do think WB is padding their estimates and actuals will come in around 130-132m or so.

What sets us apart from everybody else is our disposition to equate tons of factors and variables (marketing, anticipation, legs, budget, competition, brand, etc) into the equation. We don't analyze BO numbers in a vacuum, that's what everybody else does. 

If SS does indeed make less than two times its OW, it won't be a success, it just won't lose a huge chunk of money. That's especially true if you consider the whole shared universe thing and the fact studios release those movies with sequels in mind. It can only be a success if your definition of success is not loosing money.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2