CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

Just now, grey ghost said:

Maybe you can search mr redman's (sp?) recent posts. 

He had the funniest meldowns.

I give them:sadben::sadben::sadben:

Out of 5 sad afflecks.

To be fair, his entire post history is like one giant meltdown. So I assume that's just his personality.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

So here's food for thought:

If GA don't know the difference between Marvel and DC* then is the poor reception of SS really a killer for the DCEU? I mean if you ask an average movie-goer, can they tell you all the different CBM cinematic universes?

If so then maybe the DCEU isn't doomed like we think it is. After all if Doctor Strange is good and successful, then that'll help alleviate concerns about WW with the GA. So in a way, Marvel could be helping DC out.

*Assuming you care to generalize the GA which is a huge group with multiple sub-groups. There's likely be a big part of the GA that knows the difference between Marvel and DC and there's likely a big part that does. There's a part that might associate Marvel with quality. They might not.

Yes, this is the major thing DCEU still has going for it. The movies and marketing haven't been nearly blatant enough that it's all tied together in one expanded universe like it was with MCU. The GA knew TA was tied to films like Iron Man and Captain America, because duh, they're the main characters of the film. But SS lacked any characters ever seen in the DCEU yet and as such I'm sure plenty are unaware it's meant to exist as part of a cinematic universe. This has had nowhere near the level of planning or build up that was put into MCU, it basically just materialized out of nowhere. So I agree there is a possibility SS sucking doesn't affect the DCEU too bad because people still don't really know what the hell that is. All that said, JL will surely be affected by BvS's reception and whatever the reception is for WW. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I saw Civil War ten times in the theater, my previous record was Avengers, six times. I know people really love The Winter Soldier and I do too, but Civil War is my Marvel Studios Empire Strikes Back, it's just perfect.

My update Marvel Studios ranking:

1. Captain America: Civil War 5/5

2. The Avengers 5/5

3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 5/5

4. Iron Man 4.5/5

5. Guardians of the Galaxy 4.5/5

6. Captain America: The First Avenger 4.5/5

7. The Avengers: Age of Ultron 4/5

8. Iron Man 3 3.5/5

9. Thor: The Dark World 3.5/5 (I know)

10. Ant-Man 3.5/5

11. Thor 3.5/5

12. Iron Man 2 3.5/5

13. The Incredible Hulk 3/5

I mean I guess you really love what Marvel is doing because a lot of those are 2/5 movies for me.  The Iron Man sequels,  The Dark World, Hulk, Age of Ultron..    Plus, I wouldn't give any movie on the list a 5/5 except maybe the first Avengers. 

Marvel to me is "okay, that was cool" and move on. Not five star classics. We all have our opinions though

Joker is a huge character.

And now so is Harley.

This is a franchise. 

Bigger than Bourne, Trek, Ghostbusters, and just about anything this year without talking animals and superheroes.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

What if it only does 200ish, or lol, fails to hit that mark? Then will it still be a good performance? Because a 125 OW doesn't put that scenario entirely out of the realm of possibility with that kind of internal frontloading. 

Come on people, that is virtually impossible and it puts it completely out of the realm of possibility.  

Even if it does $120m it gets to $200m no problem.  $120m this weekend, and lets say it does an average of $5m per day during the week, that puts it at $140m going into next Friday.  A 70% drop is still $36m giving it $175m after 10 days.  It does another $2.5m per day during the week the following week gives it $185m and then another 70% drop gives it $11m and puts it at $196m total.  

It is a mathematical impossibility at this point that it would miss $200m or even be that close to it.  

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, nilephelan said:

Come on people, that is virtually impossible and it puts it completely out of the realm of possibility.  

Even if it does $120m it gets to $200m no problem.  $120m this weekend, and lets say it does an average of $5m per day during the week, that puts it at $140m going into next Friday.  A 70% drop is still $36m giving it $175m after 10 days.  It does another $2.5m per day during the week the following week gives it $185m and then another 70% drop gives it $11m and puts it at $196m total.  

It is a mathematical impossibility at this point that it would miss $200m or even be that close to it.  

I highly doubt it's impossible in this day and age given bad enough WOM. We already have proof a 40m+ opener can finish to a 1.6x multi and a 150+ opener can finish below 2x. Maybe a 120 opener can finish to 1.7x. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

IIRC, Baumer didn't even think SS was hitting 100 OW, so again he'll probably still say what an amazing achievement this is, blah blah blah. 

Anything is amazing out of proper context. If I go tell some random person on the street that an indie movie they've never heard of made millions of dollars this weekend they'd probably be in awe and think that was huge. 

Real conversation with my dad an hour ago:

Me: Oh my goodness...

Dad: What?

Me: Guess how much Suicide Squad is making today?

Dad: Uhhh

Me: It made 65M yesterday. Take a guess.

Dad: Maybe 45M?

Me: Nope! Looks around 35M

Dad: Wow. That's great for it.

I didn't even try to explain lol

• Like 11

Just now, Blankments said:

Bless your dad.

• Like 8

People are already praising the Justice League trailer.

It's obvious lots of people want DCEU to work out.

Let's not forget once upon a time the best WB could do was Steel and Batman & Robin.

Those movies gave little to debate. They were just 10 percent a target for mockery and 90 percent wasted potential.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I've been saying this here for a while to deaf ears:

The GA knows the difference between Marvel and DC. Marvel Studios has been around long enough to start getting the kind of acknowledgement that Pixar films have, maybe around the time Pixar became a synonym of quality. They do get confused with Fox Marvel movies, but at this point Marvel Studios is a brand like Pixar. And the occasional moviegoer already knows that. The "GA" that might not know this probably doesn't even go to movie theaters or watch films regularly, so do they really matter? If we accept that Pixar is a brand that people look forward to and expect quality, we should accept that Marvel Studios already got there too. They have been around eight years now, they have been around for a good while to earn that kind of respect. Saying otherwise would mean that for the GA all animation is the same. When it isn't.

How much of the GA knows the difference between Marvel and DC is certainly a debatable point though, regardless of how often they go to theaters or watch films regularly. If Marvel really is a brand name associated with quality then it would stand to reason that Doctor Strange would do as well as Suicide Squad, right? After all, they know the Marvel name. And yet...

• Like 2

SS is not missing 200m, come on now. Yes, the Saturday number is bad. But stop blowing the shit up out of proportion. It's still just one bad day of numbers.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

I mean imagine telling a person who doesn't follow box office that Captain Fantastic (a title they'll likely think you just pulled out of your ass) made ONE MILLION dollars at the box office last weekend. They'd think it was some huge hit (once you convinced them it exists lol). 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Oh god, I was actually contemplating whether or not I did as well. :mellow: Not even gonna discuss the actual film for a few days because atm it would just be a raging mess. 

To be fair, I think Fan4stic has a surprisingly solid first act. Everything else is terrible but the first act is in solid C+ territory

Suicide Squad had Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and ??? nothing storywise was good

Edited by Blankments

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

130 million is a huge opening for a movie about the "worst heroes ever". Suicide Squad is definitely NOT a very well known IP. I barely knew what the hell was that, less than 1 year ago. I watched Assault on Arkham and then I got interested. I really loved the Suicide Squad movie, though I'm probably in the minority, lol. 

The fact that this movie will probably be beating X-Men Apocalypse's entire domestic run in less than a week, is already impressive. Hell, the movie isn't even getting a China release. That's a lot of stuff going against this movie.

Frontloaded or not, that's a lot of money. I've always thought we would be seeing a Marvel's Sinister Six movie, but DC did Suicide Squad first.

Hell, this movie will probably be beating the entire domestic run of the first Captain America, Ant-Man, The Incredible Hulk and Thor in a week.  This is just DC's third movie. There's clearly demand. 

Let's see the worldwide opening weekend grosses. There are lots of markets that haven't been updated yet. So, while it has dropped, we don't know how is it performing everywhere. So, we better wait before judging it. 

This is not a movie about Superman or Batman. So, people shouldn't expect it to beat the opening weekend of these movies. 

Yeah, it sucks being considered the Transformers of the comics, but money still matters. So, be it. I'm sure things will get better for WW and JL.  I really loved SS and I want to see more of the characters in a sequel or another movie. 

After Suicide Squad, I'm looking forward for a Thunderbolts film from Marvel a Studios. I love Suicide Squad, but Marvel Studios can kill with that concept. My Thunderbolts roster:

Helmut Zemo (Citizen V)

Loki

Songbird

Moonstone

Shocker (if they use him in Homecoming)

Elektra

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Lmao. You might as well have been speaking Mandarin.

• Like 4