CJohn

SUICIDE SQUAD WEEKEND THREAD | New REVISED SUNDAY NUMBER 134m FROM GURU ON PG 212 | 267.1M WW OW | Nine Lives 6.5 OW |No Spoilers Allowed!!! | ACCOUNT SALES THIS WEEKEND - see first post for details !!

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Actually now that I remember its marketing budget was like $200M or something ridiculous. I don't know. Maybe because social media wasn't as big at the time so I didn't feel its affect like Ive felt the social media marketing for SS and BvS. 

Right. Youtube, Facebook, Twitter were not a huge part of movie marketing back then.  

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

How's that?

Even Harley Quinn isn't that well known, deadshot, El diablo, Enchantress these are relatively minor charecters it isn't Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Spider man level but it will pull off an opening highere than most of them that's the marketing. Again if you these numbers a year ago no one would agree with you the marketing has been amazing 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Makes me wonder how Dr. Strange will do.  To me, that movie has flop written all over it if they're not careful with the budget.

But then I haven't been following it at all.

I don't think Marvel is capable of having a true flop at this point.  It will do a modest $140m-$180m most likely and $500m overall.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I'm guessing right around $135m for the weekend. Not quite BvS frontloaded, but still pretty hefty. 

Me thinks that too. It will need 2.2x for 300m with 135m ow.

Doable, but unless it does 145-150m, BVS looks safe.

13 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

I think DC brand is much stronger than Marvel.

I don't think Marvel could survive badly reviewed movies. DC fans come out in droves as evidenced by their OW numbers (except of course GL).

I completely disagree.

Warner has tarnished and destroyed their 4 biggest brands in 4 films :

Green Lantern, MOS, BvS & Suicide Squad (Joker & Harley Quinn to an extent).

On paper, yes Batman is the most popular superhero but numbers say that today that s Iron Man by far.

Warner has already blew their loads on their biggest and most famous properties : Superman, Batman, GL, Justice League was done clumsily in BvS and they already did their Guardians with SS. 

And they still don't have an Iron Man, a movie that woud create some goodwill for the DC Film brand and I don't even mention a possible Avengers for DC Films, a movie that solidified the Marvel brand for good in 2012.

As of now, DC Films is just profiting from the awareness of their most famous and iconic DC Comics characters and they are doing a terrible job at it IMO.

Wonder Woman is a question mark tho.

In short, in popularity, among GA

DC Comics > Marvel Comics

Marvel Studios > DC Fims

• Like 2

Based on second day drops from international markets, I would not be shocked in the slightest bit if this played out like a sequel. 

It dropped 37% in South korea in its second day and almost 45% in its second day in France. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nova said:

Actually now that I remember its marketing budget was like $200M or something ridiculous. I don't know. Maybe because social media wasn't as big at the time so I didn't feel its affect like Ive felt the social media marketing for SS and BvS. 

GL is one of DC's lesser known properties, granted it's still way more known than most of the stuff Marvel's doing these days, but it's not Batman, Superman or Joker. Probably felt they needed that extra marketing to push recognition.

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I completely disagree.

Warner has tarnished and destroyed their 4 biggest brands in 4 films :

Green Lantern, MOS, BvS & Suicide Squad (Joker & Harley Quinn to an extent).

On paper, yes Batman is the most popular superhero but numbers say that today that s Iron Man by far.

Warner has already blew their loads on their biggest and most famous properties : Superman, Batman, GL, Justice League was done clumsily in BvS and they already did their Guardians with SS. 

And they still don't have an Iron Man, a movie that woud create some goodwill for the DC Film brand and I don't even mention a possible Avengers for DC Films, a movie that solidified the Marvel brand for good in 2012.

As of now, DC Films is just profiting from the awareness of their most famous and iconic DC Comics characters and they are doing a terrible job at it IMO.

Wonder Woman is a question mark tho.

In short, in popularity, among GA

DC Comics > Marvel Comics

Marvel Studios > DC Fims

Marvel took their biggest hero and ran him into the ground in Spidey. Now they're trying again to bring him back. DC ran Batman into the ground, and then made 3 of the best comic book movies of all time. 

• Like 1

Just now, ChipMunky said:

Marvel  Sony took their biggest hero and ran him into the ground in Spidey. Now they're trying again to bring him back. DC ran Batman into the ground, and then made 3 of the best comic book movies of all time. 

Marvel could continue pounding him into the ground.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Just give Joker and Quinn their own movie, that would be Yuuuge.

Yes!!! No idea why this hasn't happened AND hopefully it's what we get next. Gotta be from their POV entirely. Or, even more compelling, solely Harley Quinn's POV. We witness everything from vantage. That's be fresh and cool revision of what Downfall did with Hitler with hues Bonnie and Clyde, Natural Born Killers, Frighteners, etc. I'd be game as fuck for that. But, doubt it happens.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

2 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Marvel took their biggest hero and ran him into the ground in Spidey. Now they're trying again to bring him back. DC ran Batman into the ground, and then made 3 of the best comic book movies of all time. 

Lol.  No.  

That was Sony  that ran him into the ground and now that Marvel/Disney have him back he is going to be huge again based on the reception of him in Civil War and Homecoming is likely going to do $300m+ next year.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, boomboom234 said:

Even Harley Quinn isn't that well known, deadshot, El diablo, Enchantress these are relatively minor charecters it isn't Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, Spider man level but it will pull off an opening highere than most of them that's the marketing. Again if you these numbers a year ago no one would agree with you the marketing has been amazing 

You're forgetting the Joker and Batman factor in the marketing though. Both Batman films featuring joker were box office giants. Maybe if they had kept both characters a secret, you could reasonably compare this to GOTG in terms of obscurity (although I'm sure you'd find waaaaay  more people were familiar with Harley Quinn than any character in GOTG pre-movie). But Joker was all over the marketing campaign, plus Batman having a role was revealed a long time ago. Leto's wacky gross antics were all over the press constantly with what new disgusting thing he was sending his co-stars.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

Anorexic

Just remember that when Martin Riggs came into Roger Murtaughs bedroom and gave him the theory which caused Roger Murtaugh to say that it was very thin it ended up being one hundred percent true LOL

I thought about that as I was pasting the picture in. :lol: 

• Like 1