Nova

Tuesday: Suicide Squad $14.27M

7 hours ago, UrosepsisFace said:

I absolutely respect that, but Suicide Squad, whether you like it or night, is still Ayer's film, and he owns both the good and the bad. These directors, writers, producers, and this studio in particular are not absent good work. The studio's history consists of 20 something Academy Awards for best picture. The same producer was behind both The Dark Knight and American Hustle. The writer of BvS won an Academy Award for his screenplay for Argo. And each director has received some acclaim or success in the past. The group is both diverse and talented. They've yet to produce a movie with an RT score in the red. They've yet to create a movie that makes less than 250 million. You may say that's a Transformer's Franchise, but unlike Transformers, there hasn't been a singular director, and that isn't how it will work. So far, both the studio and the directors have stated the movies will be allowed to be their own thing, based on the desires of the director. I'm willing to consider they're telling the truth. That said, one movie can be very different from the previous, which some, and apparently more than some based on box office receipts, will find this refreshing.

Personally, I think Ayer is a far superior writer/director than Snyder. I thought Suicide Squad was worse than the previous two films. I can't fully explain that phenomenon, but it confirms for me that artists, stories, characters, studios, et all are not simply static things that never grow or change. Instead, the beauty of this industry, is that its organic, unpredictable, and therein lies its power to capture the hearts and minds of millions.

That's the problem. They're acting as if they are absent good work. As if the studio's history doesn't consist of 20 something Academy Awards for best picture. As if the same producer wasn't behind both The Dark Knight and American Hustle or that the writer of Batman v Superman never won an Academy Award for his screenplay for Argo. As if each director has never received some acclaim or success in the past. This diverse and talented group is making DCEU movies like they're anything but diverse and talented.

Thus with the two movies from the DCEU I have seen so far, they have utterly and laughably failed in being good work or anything remotely worthy of winning an award, let alone an Academy Award. Also, I didn't say it was a Transformers franchise, I said the DCEU currently has more in common with the Transformers/Twilight franchises in terms of as far as making big bucks in spite of negative reviews go and in terms of reputation. I realize they're differences but it's the similarities that have been making me nervous. These BTS issues and seems to be severe editing problems have me more than inclined to believe that they're not telling the truth about the movies being allowed to be their own thing.

Edited by Haley Ross
Formatting issues
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BluRayHiDef said:

These boards are complicated. Why is there a new thread for every day of the week in regard to SS's BO performance? Why not contain everything in one thread?

Cause we need a new thrill each day, plus It's adding more drama <3

6 minutes ago, BluRayHiDef said:

These boards are complicated. Why is there a new thread for every day of the week in regard to SS's BO performance? Why not contain everything in one thread?

Because this isn't just for Suicide Squad. Its for numbers for all the films. It just happens to be that when a comic book film comes out, its the only thing people talk about it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ohana said:

Cause we need a new thrill each day, plus It's adding more drama <3

It's confusing for new comers, like myself. I spent a few minutes wondering why I couldn't post in the thread dedicated to Monday's numbers.

Fun facts:

- Dory is now the number 1 movie in Portugal of the year (cracked the 400000 tickets sold yesterday);

- Suicide Squad is the biggest opening week ever for a superhero movie here with 182000 tickets sold in 7 days (beats the total of every Marvel movie that is not a team-up movie, beats the opening weeks of Deadpool and BvS).

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, BluRayHiDef said:

It's confusing for new comers, like myself. I spent a few minutes wondering why I couldn't post in the thread dedicated to Monday's numbers.

Yeah it took me around a week to figure out how everything works here
On the up side: It's a great way to make sure ppl with minimal IQ won't stick around :)

Edited by Ohana
correction
  • Like 1

The Tuesday and Wednesday drops have been very similar to Jason Bourne from last week. If their Thursdays are also similar Suicide Squad should be looking at a $8.3-8.5M Thursday but also last Thursday had Suicide Squad previews so maybe not a good comparison actually. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Because this isn't just for Suicide Squad. Its for numbers for all the films. It just happens to be that when a comic book film comes out, its the only thing people talk about it. 

1 hour ago, BluRayHiDef said:

1 hour ago, Ohana said:

Yeah it took me around a week to figure out how everything works here
On the up side: It's a great way to make sure ppl with minimal IQ won't stick around :)

In case you guys aren't aware, we archive all the daily and weekend threads in the Numbers and Data subforum, so you can always go check on a particular day to see what went down.

• Like 3